A Review Of Hot Toy's Great IRON MAN 3 Mandarin!!
’Tis somehow appropriate that the Shane Black scripted and directed IRON MAN 3 is the most divisive film in the IM series to date. It is, after all, Shane Black - and where Black is involved, a whole project becomes…I don’t know…not as…easy.
Whether or not one embraces the coarser, more real world ‘street’ sensibilities Black brought to the cinematic IM universe in its third installment, several points stand beyond refute: 1) the film made well over $1 billion at the global box office, so something about it not only worked - but worked well; 2) my six year old son love, loves LOVES the Mark XXXVIII armor; 3) Brian Tyler’s theme music is a retro, kitschy blast…
…. and 4) Ben Kingsley’s Trevor Slattery/“Mandarin” character was a surprise in a number of ways. Kingsley nailed that performance and lit up the screen - even if the role represented a kick-in-the-nuts sleight-of-hand about which not all Marvel fans were wildly enthusiastic.
Some say Kingsley is the most memorable element in a film which is, in many regards, kinda nutty. Personally, I’d tend to agree with this assessment. As such, it should come as no surprise that Hot Toys…the inimitable purveyors of cool…would issue one of their expectedly stunning representations of the character.
Offering multiple layers of ‘clothing,’...
...swappable ‘hands,’ a stand, a ‘throne,’ and inordinately detailed across-the-board, the Mandarin figure manages to capture the countenance of Slattery-as-Mandarin quite convincingly. The figure becomes less a replica and more of a moment whose image and vibe has been skillfully suspended in time.
Despite all of the figure’s charm and effectiveness, some collectors may struggle to come to terms with one of it qualities: that beard…is not hair, or fiber, or whatever. It’s a solid construct. A deal breaker for me? Not even close, as…from a distance…it looks convincing enough and fulfills its intent quite nicely. Which is blissfully apropos in a way, as this iteration of the Mandarin character is, in the end, completely about illusion from the outset. And this figure plays its role quite nicely.
Hot Toy’s IRON MAN 3 Mandarin is now available for purchase HERE. NOTE the payment plan option to the right of the page.
- Google +
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- The Bat Cowl from BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE is in the hall! -- 188 total posts 188 posts
- There's a new awesome filming location for STAR WARS 7!!! -- 157 total posts 157 posts
- Beginning of a flood of AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON Comic Con Artwork?!?! -- 189 total posts 106 posts
- Marvel Debuts Special ANT-MAN Poster For Comic Con! -- 108 total posts 66 posts
- Sony Says Fuck It, Announces Release Dates For THE SINISTER SIX And THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 3! -- 344 total posts 49 posts
- Behold The Blazing New Poster For THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES!! -- 206 total posts 42 posts
- SDCC '14: Title logo for WARCRAFT! -- 53 total posts 42 posts
- Marvel sets one additional 2018 release date! -- 99 total posts 38 posts
- He's not 007 anymore, but Pierce Brosnan is still kicking ass across Europe in the full trailer for THE NOVEMBER MAN! -- 83 total posts 34 posts
- EXPENDABLES 3 launches a ton of Comic Con posters! -- 92 total posts 31 posts