UPDATED W/ 12min 'Making Of...' Reel!! 'The Time of the Doctor' Is Upon Us!! READER REACTION To Matt Smith's Final DOCTOR WHO Begins Now!!
UPDATE 9:21 AM CST USA 26 DECEMBER 2013
BBC has issued a 12 minute behind the scenes look at The Name of the Doctor.
***** SPOILER ALERT *****
In the UK, DOCTOR WHO: The Time of the Doctor transmits a few hours earlier than its US broadcast. Thus, there will be pre-US transmit spoilers for the episode available as soon as UK transmit occurs. Proceed with caution from this point forward f you wish to remain altogether virginal regarding The Time of the Doctor.
…with a READER REACTION ‘Docback’ dedicated to all things DOCTOR WHO, with a strong emphasis on Wednesday December 25’s Christmas Special, The Time of the Doctor. Please note the moderation guidelines posted below.
’Tis no spoiler to mention that this episode is a tad significant in a number of ways - most notably in that it will transition the series from the Matt Smith era into the Peter Capaldi zone. Which will profoundly shape the tone, vibe, edge, and overall personality of the show.
This is a hugely interesting time for WHO. Under Steven Moffat’s guidance and with Matt Smith in the lead role, the show has found visibility and global public acceptance on levels never before enjoyed by DW. While they didn’t have much choice in the mater (if Smith wanted to leave, he wanted to leave - what could they do?), Godspeed and kudos to The Powers That Be for not casting to appease the decidedly youthful contingent the series has developed over the past few years…for not catering solely to teenage girls…and for remembering and adhering to the 50 year old truism that the Doctor on DOCTOR WHO can come in any age and any distinct personality type. And that the show can not only survive such change, but thrive on it and evolve through it.
How will the coming of Capaldi impact global perception and profitability of the show given that the populous has settled into the comfortable, loping, inescapable charms of Smith? Might the audience reaction be negative when confronted with…someone…anyone…different? Or, might the masses embrace what will certainly be an edgier Doctor (also a time tested conceit on the show) - and could DW become more popular and more ‘must see’ than ever?
Come what may, I’d like to extend a sincere cyber hug, and a most gentlemanly tip of the hat possible to Matt Smith. I don’t yet know if he’s ‘my Doctor’ as people say - time will ultimately shape and determine this. But I do know that Smith was the Doctor when I first started exploring the show on the whole, and delving timidly into its complex and rich history. It’s hard, if not impossible, to harbor a tremendous amount of affection towards Smith’s Doctor - his Doctor caught my attention and held my attention. He was one of the reasons I stayed, even when the show sometimes frustrated. He made me curious, he made me excited, he made me feel like the young and bouncy boyish man he so often appeared to be on screen. I suspect that only in retrospect will his full importance to the history of WHOness be fully understood. But, even now, to to the mythology of the show? Matt Smit mattered. To the economy of the show, Matt Smith mattered. To the fanbase, Matt Smith mattered. To history, Matt Smith will matter. THANK YOU, Mister Smith. You’ve done a man’s job. A 900+ year old man’s job.
PLEASE NOTE that the Docback below will become a full-on SPOILER ZONE after tomorrow’s UK broadcast of Time of the Doctor, which equates to early afternoon U.S. time. P
With this in mind, enjoy the READER REACTION DOCBACK, and wishing the happiest of Holidays to you and those you love…
- Google +
[[[[[ A LIST OF PREVIOUS DOCBACKS CAN BE FOUND HERE!! ]]]]]
DOCBACK CODE OF CONDUCT
1) a Docback should be about completely open and free discourse regarding all things WHO with, obviously, some variation on subject matter from time to time - the real world intervenes, discussions of other shows are inevitable, etc.)...
2) matters of SPOILAGE should be handled with thoughtful consideration and sensitivity. Posts containing SPOILERS should clearly state that a SPOILER exists in its topic/headline and should never state the spoiler itself . "** SPOILER ** Regarding Clara" is OK, for example. "** SPOILER about that Motorcycle" is fine. **SPOILER** Why did everyone die?" Is NOT good.
And, above all...
3) converse, agree, disagree, and question as much as you want - but the freedom to do so is NOT a license to be rude, crass, disrespectful, or uncivilized in any way. Not remaining courteous and civil, as well as TROLLING or undertaking sensational efforts to ignite controversy, will result in banning. Lack of courtesy may receive one (1) warning before a ban is instigated. Obvious Trolling or Spamming will result in summary banning with no warning. One word posts intended to bump-up any Docback's figures on AICN's "Top Talkbacks" sidebar will be considered actionable Spam - they not only complicate efforts to access Docback from mobile devices, but impede readers' abilities to follow or engage in flowing conversation.
In short, it's easy. Be excellent to each other. Now party on...
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 502 total posts 342 posts
- DOCTOR WHO 8.2!! ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Episode And Says He’s Not Sure He Enjoys ‘What The Show Is Becoming’!! -- 251 total posts 210 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 226 total posts 140 posts
- Amazon To Bring Back Patrick Warburton As Ben Edlund’s TICK?? -- 33 total posts 33 posts
- Capone says AS ABOVE/SO BELOW uses a chilling location to terrifying effect!!! -- 54 total posts 28 posts
- The Fellows Behind The Big-Screen JUMP STREET (And THE LEGO MOVIE And CLONE HIGH) Plan To Reboot Another Steven J. Cannell Series: THE GREATEST AMERICAN HERO!! -- 63 total posts 26 posts
- Is this what Doctor Doom looks like in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 307 total posts 25 posts
- Will there be a change of roster in Avengers: Age of Ultron and if so, who's gonna be on it? -- 293 total posts 23 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 339 total posts 20 posts
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of Fox's Batman-Free GOTHAM, Woody’s MAGIC IN THE MOONLIGHT, The Final Season Of BOARDWALK EMPIRE, And The Latest MARVEL, DC, STAR WARS & STAR TREK News!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 17 total posts 17 posts