UPDATED W/ 12min 'Making Of...' Reel!! 'The Time of the Doctor' Is Upon Us!! READER REACTION To Matt Smith's Final DOCTOR WHO Begins Now!!
UPDATE 9:21 AM CST USA 26 DECEMBER 2013
BBC has issued a 12 minute behind the scenes look at The Name of the Doctor.
***** SPOILER ALERT *****
In the UK, DOCTOR WHO: The Time of the Doctor transmits a few hours earlier than its US broadcast. Thus, there will be pre-US transmit spoilers for the episode available as soon as UK transmit occurs. Proceed with caution from this point forward f you wish to remain altogether virginal regarding The Time of the Doctor.
…with a READER REACTION ‘Docback’ dedicated to all things DOCTOR WHO, with a strong emphasis on Wednesday December 25’s Christmas Special, The Time of the Doctor. Please note the moderation guidelines posted below.
’Tis no spoiler to mention that this episode is a tad significant in a number of ways - most notably in that it will transition the series from the Matt Smith era into the Peter Capaldi zone. Which will profoundly shape the tone, vibe, edge, and overall personality of the show.
This is a hugely interesting time for WHO. Under Steven Moffat’s guidance and with Matt Smith in the lead role, the show has found visibility and global public acceptance on levels never before enjoyed by DW. While they didn’t have much choice in the mater (if Smith wanted to leave, he wanted to leave - what could they do?), Godspeed and kudos to The Powers That Be for not casting to appease the decidedly youthful contingent the series has developed over the past few years…for not catering solely to teenage girls…and for remembering and adhering to the 50 year old truism that the Doctor on DOCTOR WHO can come in any age and any distinct personality type. And that the show can not only survive such change, but thrive on it and evolve through it.
How will the coming of Capaldi impact global perception and profitability of the show given that the populous has settled into the comfortable, loping, inescapable charms of Smith? Might the audience reaction be negative when confronted with…someone…anyone…different? Or, might the masses embrace what will certainly be an edgier Doctor (also a time tested conceit on the show) - and could DW become more popular and more ‘must see’ than ever?
Come what may, I’d like to extend a sincere cyber hug, and a most gentlemanly tip of the hat possible to Matt Smith. I don’t yet know if he’s ‘my Doctor’ as people say - time will ultimately shape and determine this. But I do know that Smith was the Doctor when I first started exploring the show on the whole, and delving timidly into its complex and rich history. It’s hard, if not impossible, to harbor a tremendous amount of affection towards Smith’s Doctor - his Doctor caught my attention and held my attention. He was one of the reasons I stayed, even when the show sometimes frustrated. He made me curious, he made me excited, he made me feel like the young and bouncy boyish man he so often appeared to be on screen. I suspect that only in retrospect will his full importance to the history of WHOness be fully understood. But, even now, to to the mythology of the show? Matt Smit mattered. To the economy of the show, Matt Smith mattered. To the fanbase, Matt Smith mattered. To history, Matt Smith will matter. THANK YOU, Mister Smith. You’ve done a man’s job. A 900+ year old man’s job.
PLEASE NOTE that the Docback below will become a full-on SPOILER ZONE after tomorrow’s UK broadcast of Time of the Doctor, which equates to early afternoon U.S. time. P
With this in mind, enjoy the READER REACTION DOCBACK, and wishing the happiest of Holidays to you and those you love…
- Google +
[[[[[ A LIST OF PREVIOUS DOCBACKS CAN BE FOUND HERE!! ]]]]]
DOCBACK CODE OF CONDUCT
1) a Docback should be about completely open and free discourse regarding all things WHO with, obviously, some variation on subject matter from time to time - the real world intervenes, discussions of other shows are inevitable, etc.)...
2) matters of SPOILAGE should be handled with thoughtful consideration and sensitivity. Posts containing SPOILERS should clearly state that a SPOILER exists in its topic/headline and should never state the spoiler itself . "** SPOILER ** Regarding Clara" is OK, for example. "** SPOILER about that Motorcycle" is fine. **SPOILER** Why did everyone die?" Is NOT good.
And, above all...
3) converse, agree, disagree, and question as much as you want - but the freedom to do so is NOT a license to be rude, crass, disrespectful, or uncivilized in any way. Not remaining courteous and civil, as well as TROLLING or undertaking sensational efforts to ignite controversy, will result in banning. Lack of courtesy may receive one (1) warning before a ban is instigated. Obvious Trolling or Spamming will result in summary banning with no warning. One word posts intended to bump-up any Docback's figures on AICN's "Top Talkbacks" sidebar will be considered actionable Spam - they not only complicate efforts to access Docback from mobile devices, but impede readers' abilities to follow or engage in flowing conversation.
In short, it's easy. Be excellent to each other. Now party on...
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- There Will Soon Be No More Orci / Kurtzman Movies!?!? + One Of Them Is Pushing To Direct The Third JJVerse STAR TREK Film!! -- 391 total posts 54 posts
- BARBIE. The Movie. -- 151 total posts 21 posts
- UPDATED (21:55): Trailer taken down by IFC! The trailer for BOYHOOD takes us through a decade-plus of the life of young lead actor Ellan Coltrane! -- 27 total posts 19 posts
- They're going to have to look for another MIDNIGHT RIDER, because after that tragedy, William Hurt ain't stickin' around! -- 47 total posts 18 posts
- Tom Hardy (as twins) and Emily Browning to star in Brian Helgeland's gangster flick, LEGEND! -- 25 total posts 16 posts
- The First Official BTS Shots From JURASSIC WORLD Are Here!! -- 82 total posts 14 posts
- "Where do you stand on Michael Buble?" "His windpipe?" Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon have more celebrity impressions up their sleeves in THE TRIP TO ITALY trailer! -- 36 total posts 14 posts
- Robert Downey Jr. seems to be tweeting a picture a day from the set of Avengers: Age of Ultron... -- 112 total posts 11 posts
- Check Out the Trailer for EJECTA - From PONTYPOOL Scribe Tony Burgess! -- 17 total posts 10 posts
- Mowgli to have friends like Scarlett Johansson and Lupita Nyong'o in Jon Favreau's JUNGLE BOOK! -- 44 total posts 8 posts