This Week's Saturday Shorts: A Souffle of Top-Notch Shorts!
Hello ladies and gentlemen, Muldoon here with this week's slick edition of SATURDAY SHORTS, AICN's weekly column devoted to showcasing all sorts of great films created and submitted by AICN readers. Hopefully the bulk of you out there are off from work due to the holidays and while I'm sure you're dying to be outdoors at your local shopping mall getting your kids the newest gaming systems, your wife that extra piece of jewelry she craves, or just people watching - I've got my own gift for you, these four shorts. Each of the following films contains a level of slick imagery, nice acting, and an obvious control from the filmmakers. I think you're going to enjoy what I've got laid out for you. Remember, if at all possible - make these full screen, kick up the volume, and just melt into the stories. And if you like what you see, spread the word (not necessarily about Saturday Shorts, but about whatever film you really dug).
Go grab yourself some popcorn, lock your kids in a closet, kill the lights, relax and check out this little weekly film fest we've got ourselves here:
I HATE YOU RED LIGHT
Boom! Kicking things off right we've got a damn fine animated short from Mathias Horhager. It's an insanely clean homage to classic hollywood animated shorts. "The perfect morning is ruined for Fred, when he gets stopped by every Red Light on his drive into work." Go hit up the film's website or its facebook page.
To follow up that funny film, let's switch gears to a drama, a damn fine drama if I do say so myself. From Cavan Campbell, here's a one take drama that is sure to pull you in. "Photographed entirely in a single shot, Roz and Kenny's argument reveals a secret that will pull back the skin of their parched love." So hey, if you like this - Tweet about it or pass the link on to your friends! Campbell, I want to see more from you, bud! Keep them coming!
A Lovely Place To Die
Daryl Della gives us a film film set in the woods that was shot in eight hours. It made me want to go hit up SOPRANOS (although LILYHAMMER on NetFlix fills that mafia void in my cinematic heart). "An aging mafioso is walked into the woods to face his demise by a young hitman."
FROM ALL OF US...
And to finish up this week's selection we've got a fun christmas-zombie adventure from Saturday Shorts alum Jonas Kvist Jensen. "The horrific, yet loving Christmas-tale of a crooked mechanic and the ordeal he goes through when his mafia associates compels him to dispose of a dead body on Christmas Eve. Not only is the body that of a very innocent looking young woman, but more importantly: She does not seem completely dead in the usual sense of the word. A short film about the ever-important elements of Christmas: Love, compassion, generosity, and of course... zombies." Go check out the film's Facebook page!
And that's it ladies and gentlemen. I hope you guys and gals enjoyed this week's picks! I'll see you all seven days from now! Have a wonderful Christmas, Kwanza, post-Hanukkah celebrations or whatever it is you celebrate!
If you have a short and think it belongs here or are on the fence about whether to send it in, please do send it in - I'd love to see what you've put together. I've already seen hundreds of fresh new filmmakers' shorts and like any good addict, I need more!
Shoot me an email at "Mike@aintitcool.com"
In the subject line include:
“SHORTS” + “Your film’s name” + “The film’s genre”
Then, in the body of the email, please include a synopsis of the film and any contact information you might think I need or would want published. The more info you send my way, the more info there is to put with your short.
Please don’t feel the need to submit multiple times.
Remember, the filmmakers might still be in the audience, so feel free to share your thoughts in Talkbacks below. (JUST DON'T BE AN ASSHOLE). I picked them, so you know I think highly of all of these, but how about you fine folks? How'd you like 'em?
BY THE WAY: If you've had a short featured here, that means that I personally am a fan of your work, so feel free to shoot me any kind of news on new projects/films/whatever. I can't say I'll be able to help or in what capacity, but I'm interested in your work and am always down to see more! (Keep making cool stuff, everyone!)
- Mike McCutchen
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Is this our first look at The Thing from Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR reboot!?! -- 145 total posts 130 posts
- Nordling Reviews GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY! -- 105 total posts 105 posts
- "The walrus is far more evolved than any man I've ever known...present company included." Trailer for Kevin Smith's TUSK has arrived! -- 71 total posts 60 posts
- Capone believes HERCULES does a Rock-solid job demystifying and reinforcing the myth!!! -- 57 total posts 57 posts
- SDCC '14: James Gunn to write and direct the GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY sequel!! -- 97 total posts 45 posts
- Capone can't decide if Luc Besson's LUCY is a dumb movie about smart people or a smart movie about dumb people. Whatever it is, he still mostly digs it!!! -- 38 total posts 38 posts
- Footage of discarded concept art, interviews with Tim Burton and Kevin Smith, and Nicolas Cage in flight in this trailer for THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN LIVES! -- 129 total posts 33 posts
- UPDATED! Has Marvel's DOCTOR STRANGE Casting Search Gone To Phoenix? -- 269 total posts 32 posts
- Learn Which STAR TREK Icon Joins GAME OF THRONES Next Season!! (Hint: Not Nimoy!!) -- 29 total posts 29 posts
- Patrick Wilson drops out of ANT-MAN!! -- 117 total posts 29 posts