I'd watch Simon Pegg and Monty Python in ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
In addition to their upcoming sold-out live shows at the 02 Arena in london, 70+ year-old surviving members of Monty Python (minus, as of now, Eric Idle) are also providing voices for Terry Jones' animation/live-action hybrid, ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING. The Pythons will voice aliens who come to earth and grant some magical abilities to one super-lucky human. Benedict Cumberbatch was supposed to play the teacher who encounters the E.T.s, but according to Screen Daily, he's taking a Cumber-powder, leaving the live-action protaganist role to...
As soon as you get it out of your mind that Pegg just interacted with a CGI extra-terrestrial in PAUL, think about the old-school/new-school potential of this project. Not to knock Cumberbatch, but his reputation isn't really that of a comedian; Pegg, on the other hand, is probably the most internationally famous contemporary name in comedy out of Britain, very possibly even more well-known than the Pythons among American youths. His performances in the Cornetto Trilogy (which, of course, he co-wrote) suggest that he's more than up to the task of playing deeply mannered characters, albeit with a dollop of awkwardness which distinguishes his style from MP's. This project could just be a late-career cash grab for Jones, calling in favors from his pals to give his film some legitimacy; I really couldn't care less. Even if they are all being blackmailed into doing this by some secret society threatening their families, I am quite grateful to be in a world where this project is coming together.
At the very least, this much be a huge honor for Pegg. Getting work with the most famous comedy troupe of the 20th century is one thing; being chosen to lead up the film which reunites them for the first time in 30 years, well…if validation by the Pythons doesn't help you sleep at night, you need some serious meds, buddy.
Gemma Arterton and Robin Williams (as a voice anda live character) will also star in the movie. Um, feed this to me now, please?
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- 3rd PICKS & PEEKS of Sept 2014: Crichton Blus, THE PARTY, Bloody Entertainment, GODZILLA 3D & More!!! -- 443 total posts 29 posts
- Loki vs. King Kong in SKULL ISLAND! -- 287 total posts 11 posts
- Behold The Cool(ish) IMAX Poster For DRACULA UNTOLD!! -- 170 total posts 6 posts
- A New Poster For Christopher Nolan’s INTERSTELLAR!! -- 206 total posts 4 posts
- The New Trailer For THE HUNGER GAMES: MOCKINGJAY PART 1 Hints That The Movie Is Freakin’ Huge!! -- 284 total posts 4 posts
- Hold off, Aaron Cross: Matt Damon's back as Jason Bourne! -- 229 total posts 3 posts
- Meryl Streep Bewitches the First INTO THE WOODS Poster! -- 54 total posts 3 posts
- Kelvington Says Tonight’s DOCTOR WHO Is A Perfect Episode – Were It Not For The Episode’s Foreshadowing!! -- 158 total posts 2 posts
- 12 TIFF reviews from 'garbageman33' covers everything from Gyllenhaal in NIGHTCRAWLER to Baumbach's WHILE WE'RE YOUNG! -- 3 total posts 1 post
- A New Promo For STAR WARS REBELS Brings Action And Character Intros!! -- 76 total posts 1 post