Live in Chicago? Capone has seats to an early screening of Spike Jonze's HER, starring Joaquin Phoenix!!!
Hey everyone. Capone in Chicago here.
As 2013 winds down, I started to consider what film with which to end a pretty great year of screenings, and the choice seemed obvious to me since it will likely be one of my highest-ranked movies in my year-end Best of 2013 list. You've likely seen the quite moving trailers for writer-director Spike Jonze's HER, starring Joaquin Phoenix, Amy Adams, Rooney Mara, Chris Pratt, and the engaging voice of Scarlett Johansson as an operating system with artificial intelligence.
You may think you have some idea of what this film is about, and to a degree, you may be right. But if you think the whole story is building up to Joaquin having cyber-sex with his OS, you are sadly mistaken. HER is a full-blown science-fiction love story that deconstructs the elements of a relationship and considers the very real possibility that maybe they would be easier if one of the parties wasn't a flawed, emotionally unstable human being. Would they be easier? Or would the OS learn to become emotional and flawed as well. The story may start out cute, but it builds upon that and grows into something that borders on perfection. I'm hoping you guys feel the same, and I'm going to make it easy for you to find out if you do.
I have a whole lot of seats for an early screening of HER on Tuesday, December 17 at 7:00pm (please note the later starting time), at a theater in Chicago (the exact location will only be given to the winners). Here's how to win seats…
To win, send me an email at HerChicago@aintitcoolmail.com (please note the new email address) with the subject line "Operating System" (exactly like that). In the body of the email, I need your full Name, whether or not you're bringing a Guest (each winner may bring ONE confirmed guest--if I think you gave your +1 to someone trolling for free tickets at the theater, you won't get in), and the answer to the following question: "What is your favorite film about an unconventional romance, and why?" So what I need is the name of the movie, the names of either the characters or actors in the movie, and an explanation for your answer. Keep your responses BRIEF--no more than 75 words (no matter how tempted you are to go over the limit). Best answers (as judged by me) win, and you'll hear from me very soon if you won, so keep checking your email over the next couple of days. Continue reading before you enter…
Although this is not an exclusive Ain't It Cool News event, winners' seats will be reserved until 15 minutes before showtime (meaning 6:45 pm). The venue is deliberately overbooked to guarantee a full house. If you can't arrive by 6:45 pm, don't enter this contest. If there's even the slightest chance you or your guest will have to back out of attending or arrive late if you do win, don't enter. If you have a job that might make you late or unable to attend, or an ill/pregnant relative, or a temperamental significant other, or a scratchy throat, do not enter. And the 24-hour-notice-to-cancel rule is done. If you win and don't show up, the Black List will be your new best friend.
Good luck, everyone! And thanks to Warner Bros. for letting us do this very cool screening in Chicago.
-- Steve Prokopy
Follow Me On Twitter
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Two New AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON Comic-Con Posters Reveal… -- 290 total posts 290 posts
- UPDATED! Has Marvel's DOCTOR STRANGE Casting Search Gone To Phoenix? -- 172 total posts 172 posts
- SDCC '14: Another snap of Batfleck from BATMAN V SUPERMAN! -- 361 total posts 134 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint talks about the surprisingly good 5-ish minutes of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles shown at the Con! -- 119 total posts 119 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint has seen the new Interstellar trailer! Plus The Rock and Spongebob stuff! -- 118 total posts 118 posts
- Mark Hamill referred to his beard for STAR WARS: EPISODE VII as "contractually-obligated"!! Does that confirm what we've been hearing?? -- 290 total posts 106 posts
- FIFTY SHADES OF GREY Trailer Is Like Daaaaayuuuuuuum! -- 319 total posts 73 posts
- "This is a classic alternate reality situation...like FRINGE!" Get wet with the red-band trailer for HOT TUB TIME MACHINE 2! -- 123 total posts 70 posts
- Footage of discarded concept art, interviews with Tim Burton and Kevin Smith, and Nicolas Cage in flight in this trailer for THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN LIVES! -- 56 total posts 56 posts
- Sam Raimi Producing THE LAST OF US Movie! Maisie Williams In Talk To Play Ellie! -- 50 total posts 50 posts