Live in Chicago? Capone has seats to an early screening of Spike Jonze's HER, starring Joaquin Phoenix!!!
Hey everyone. Capone in Chicago here.
As 2013 winds down, I started to consider what film with which to end a pretty great year of screenings, and the choice seemed obvious to me since it will likely be one of my highest-ranked movies in my year-end Best of 2013 list. You've likely seen the quite moving trailers for writer-director Spike Jonze's HER, starring Joaquin Phoenix, Amy Adams, Rooney Mara, Chris Pratt, and the engaging voice of Scarlett Johansson as an operating system with artificial intelligence.
You may think you have some idea of what this film is about, and to a degree, you may be right. But if you think the whole story is building up to Joaquin having cyber-sex with his OS, you are sadly mistaken. HER is a full-blown science-fiction love story that deconstructs the elements of a relationship and considers the very real possibility that maybe they would be easier if one of the parties wasn't a flawed, emotionally unstable human being. Would they be easier? Or would the OS learn to become emotional and flawed as well. The story may start out cute, but it builds upon that and grows into something that borders on perfection. I'm hoping you guys feel the same, and I'm going to make it easy for you to find out if you do.
I have a whole lot of seats for an early screening of HER on Tuesday, December 17 at 7:00pm (please note the later starting time), at a theater in Chicago (the exact location will only be given to the winners). Here's how to win seats…
To win, send me an email at HerChicago@aintitcoolmail.com (please note the new email address) with the subject line "Operating System" (exactly like that). In the body of the email, I need your full Name, whether or not you're bringing a Guest (each winner may bring ONE confirmed guest--if I think you gave your +1 to someone trolling for free tickets at the theater, you won't get in), and the answer to the following question: "What is your favorite film about an unconventional romance, and why?" So what I need is the name of the movie, the names of either the characters or actors in the movie, and an explanation for your answer. Keep your responses BRIEF--no more than 75 words (no matter how tempted you are to go over the limit). Best answers (as judged by me) win, and you'll hear from me very soon if you won, so keep checking your email over the next couple of days. Continue reading before you enter…
Although this is not an exclusive Ain't It Cool News event, winners' seats will be reserved until 15 minutes before showtime (meaning 6:45 pm). The venue is deliberately overbooked to guarantee a full house. If you can't arrive by 6:45 pm, don't enter this contest. If there's even the slightest chance you or your guest will have to back out of attending or arrive late if you do win, don't enter. If you have a job that might make you late or unable to attend, or an ill/pregnant relative, or a temperamental significant other, or a scratchy throat, do not enter. And the 24-hour-notice-to-cancel rule is done. If you win and don't show up, the Black List will be your new best friend.
Good luck, everyone! And thanks to Warner Bros. for letting us do this very cool screening in Chicago.
-- Steve Prokopy
Follow Me On Twitter
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- 100 Lucky Ones will see AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 here in Austin on April 30th! -- 59 total posts 59 posts
- ‘I Have Something To Say To The People Of Meereen!!’ The Stormborn Returns For Tonight’s Third GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 106 total posts 29 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 277 total posts 21 posts
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 512 total posts 15 posts
- Papa Vinyard Saw THE HATEFUL EIGHT Script Reading Last Night And Here's His Review! -- 35 total posts 12 posts
- This Week's Saturday Shorts: Parkour, Compliments, and Getting Pooped on! -- 14 total posts 8 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 219 total posts 5 posts
- ‘Why Don’t We Just Start Our Own Agency??’ Sunday Brings One Of The 13 Final MAD MENs!! -- 22 total posts 4 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 333 total posts 4 posts
- AICN HORROR looks at PROXY! THE LASHMAN! 13 SINS! CAMP DREAD! ROULETTE! POSEIDON REX! CONFINE! DEATH DO US PART! PSYCHOPHONY: AN EXPERIMENT IN EVIL! MONSTERS TV Series! HOWLS! & WOLF CREEK 2! -- 11 total posts 3 posts