Beatles' manager Brian Epstein to get his own flick, entitled THE FIFTH BEATLE!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
While there has yet to be a legit "Beatles movie", chronicling the rise and "fall" of the most influential rock band of the latter-20th century, there have been a bunch of films, TV and theatrical, about the fringes of the bands orbit. There was Robert Zemeckis' feature debut, I WANNA HOLD YOUR HAND, the musical BEATLEMANIA, the Stephen Dorff/Sheryl Lee Stuart Sutcliffe biopic BACKBEAT, and even TWO OF US, that TV movie from 2000 with Aidan Quinn as Paul McCartney and Jared Harris as John Lennon. Now, according to Deadline, we have another Beatles-centric film that does not put the Fab Four front and center, but rather their doomed manager, Brian Epstein.
THE FIFTH BEATLE, as the film will be called, is based on a recently released graphic novel (which happened to debut at #5 on the NY Times bestseller list this past week) about Epstein's discovery and cultivation of the legendary Liverpool-based rock band. Vivek J. Tiwary, who wrote the graphic novel, will pen the screenplay for YES MAN/DOWN WITH LOVE director Peyton Reed. Obviously, who they cast to play the mop-topped musicians, as well as, of course, Epstein (who died in 1967, with the Beatles at the peak of their fame, at the age of 32), presents a huge challenge to Reed and his producers (which, aside from Tiwary, also includes AMERICAN BEAUTY Oscar-winner Bruce Cohen). These are figures that have lingered in pop culture for 50 years (Jesus, can you believe Ringo and Paul still fucking perform?), and how they bring these icons to life will determine whether the film becomes a THE DOORS or a SGT. PEPPERS LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND in the annals of film history.
Who would you cast to play John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, George Harrison, and Brian Epstein?
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 204 total posts 179 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 162 total posts 118 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 198 total posts 55 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 558 total posts 35 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 180 total posts 23 posts
- Two Images From Michael Fassbender’s MACBETH Movie!! -- 112 total posts 22 posts
- Check Out Thomas Haden Church in this Trailer for WHITEWASH! -- 66 total posts 10 posts
- ‘There Is Only One Hell!!’ Stannis, Davos, Melissandre, Varys, Bran, Hodor, Reek And The Bastard Of Bolton Return For Tonight’s Big Second GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 356 total posts 9 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 192 total posts 8 posts
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of The First Jack Bauer 24 Adventure Since 2010!! Plus GAME OF THRONES, MAD MEN, HANNIBAL, AGENTS OF SHIELD, And More!! And The Return Of FX MOVIE DOWNLOAD Star Sasha Perl-Raver!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 8 total posts 8 posts