Beatles' manager Brian Epstein to get his own flick, entitled THE FIFTH BEATLE!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
While there has yet to be a legit "Beatles movie", chronicling the rise and "fall" of the most influential rock band of the latter-20th century, there have been a bunch of films, TV and theatrical, about the fringes of the bands orbit. There was Robert Zemeckis' feature debut, I WANNA HOLD YOUR HAND, the musical BEATLEMANIA, the Stephen Dorff/Sheryl Lee Stuart Sutcliffe biopic BACKBEAT, and even TWO OF US, that TV movie from 2000 with Aidan Quinn as Paul McCartney and Jared Harris as John Lennon. Now, according to Deadline, we have another Beatles-centric film that does not put the Fab Four front and center, but rather their doomed manager, Brian Epstein.
THE FIFTH BEATLE, as the film will be called, is based on a recently released graphic novel (which happened to debut at #5 on the NY Times bestseller list this past week) about Epstein's discovery and cultivation of the legendary Liverpool-based rock band. Vivek J. Tiwary, who wrote the graphic novel, will pen the screenplay for YES MAN/DOWN WITH LOVE director Peyton Reed. Obviously, who they cast to play the mop-topped musicians, as well as, of course, Epstein (who died in 1967, with the Beatles at the peak of their fame, at the age of 32), presents a huge challenge to Reed and his producers (which, aside from Tiwary, also includes AMERICAN BEAUTY Oscar-winner Bruce Cohen). These are figures that have lingered in pop culture for 50 years (Jesus, can you believe Ringo and Paul still fucking perform?), and how they bring these icons to life will determine whether the film becomes a THE DOORS or a SGT. PEPPERS LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND in the annals of film history.
Who would you cast to play John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, George Harrison, and Brian Epstein?
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- SDCC '14: Another snap of Batfleck from BATMAN V SUPERMAN! -- 336 total posts 107 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint talks about the surprisingly good 5-ish minutes of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles shown at the Con! -- 106 total posts 106 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint has seen the new Interstellar trailer! Plus The Rock and Spongebob stuff! -- 106 total posts 106 posts
- Mark Hamill referred to his beard for STAR WARS: EPISODE VII as "contractually-obligated"!! Does that confirm what we've been hearing?? -- 276 total posts 90 posts
- FIFTY SHADES OF GREY Trailer Is Like Daaaaayuuuuuuum! -- 322 total posts 75 posts
- "This is a classic alternate reality situation...like FRINGE!" Get wet with the red-band trailer for HOT TUB TIME MACHINE 2! -- 109 total posts 56 posts
- Two New AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON Comic-Con Posters Reveal… -- 41 total posts 41 posts
- New Clips From STAR WARS REBELS Bring Lightsabers And Stormtroopers!! -- 24 total posts 24 posts
- A First And Promising Trailer For NIGHTFALL, The Ridley Scott Produced HALOverse Digital Series!! -- 18 total posts 18 posts
- A New Trailer & Gameplay From LEGO BATMAN 3!! -- 18 total posts 18 posts