Rinko Kikuchi looks for the buried loot from FARGO in KUMIKO, THE TREASURE HUNTER (based on a true story)!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
Remember that "THIS IS A TRUE STORY" text that opened FARGO? Well, as legend has it, it cost a young woman her life. In 2001, Takako Konishi was found dead in the middle of a snow-covered field in Detroit Lakes, Minnesota. Investigations revealed that she committed suicide after a personal crisis involving her employment and an American lover, but urban legend took over, and decided that this girl was actually looking for the money that Steve Buscemi's FARGO character buried by the fence before tasting the woodchipper. There was a short documentary made about her story, and now director David Zellner is "printing the legend", and making a film about a young Japanese woman looking for that film's "little bit 'a money".
PACIFIC RIM/BABEL's Rinko Kikuchi will be playing a fictionalized version of the character in KUMIKO, THE TREASURE HUNTER, and we have our first look at the film via these pictures in anticipation of the film's Sundance premiere. Even though I haven't seen Zellner's previous films (which include oddities such as PLASTIC UTOPIA and KID-THING), I am intrigued by the premise and by Kikuchi's continual ability to immerse herself in her roles. I could totally watch her shuffling through the Minnesotan wilderness, tunnel-visioned and obsessed, for an hour and a half, and that's what this movie is sounding like at this point; if there's any more to it than a one-woman show for Kikuchi to show off her skills, front and center, hopefully it'll just be icing on the cake instead of distracting side-plots and such.
Obviously, these shots tell us very little in terms of what sort of tone (and even content) to expect, and we probably won't know what kind of movie this is until people get to see it next month. I'm definitely keeping my eye out for this one.
Does this sound like indie garbage leeching off of the residual reputation of an almost 20 year old modern classic, or the backdrop for a potentially knockout performance from Rinko Kikuchi?
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Fox has hired a pair of writers to get a FLASH GORDON movie off the ground! -- 313 total posts 234 posts
- Today's STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Status Report: Casting "Almost Complete", Second Unit Shooting Underway! -- 333 total posts 77 posts
- IT'S A SMALL WORLD: THE MOVIE directed by Jon Turteltaub is a real thing Disney wants to make! -- 86 total posts 66 posts
- There Will Soon Be No More Orci / Kurtzman Movies!?!? + One Of Them Is Pushing To Direct The Third JJVerse STAR TREK Film!! -- 311 total posts 63 posts
- 100 Lucky Ones will see AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 here in Austin on April 30th! -- 416 total posts 59 posts
- BARBIE. The Movie. -- 48 total posts 48 posts
- ‘So Who Wants To Go First??’ Amy Acker Is The Cellist In Joss Whedon’s AGENTS OF SHIELD!! ELSEWHERE & ER On PIONEERS OF TELEVISION!! New AWKWARD, SWAP, BOY, STORAGE, SCHUMER, TOSH, GLEE, FIRE, MINDY, DUSK, ORIGINALS, SUPERNATURAL, FARGO, FISHER & VOICE!! CONTAINER Finale!! Don Rickles On KIMMEL!! Natalie Dormer On SETH!! Stephen Colbert On LETTERMAN!! Elizabeth Warren On THE DAILY SHOW!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 168 total posts 40 posts
- Robert Downey Jr. seems to be tweeting a picture a day from the set of Avengers: Age of Ultron... -- 39 total posts 39 posts
Learn What’s Ahead
For GAME OF THRONES!! -- 60 total posts 38 posts
- The First Official BTS Shots From JURASSIC WORLD Are Here!! -- 28 total posts 28 posts