Check out this six-minute trailer for THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
A little less than a month before its official release, and we get this six-minute extended trailer for THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY that mixes footage we've seen with some new stuff to give us our most extensive look at the film thus far. Unlike the previous trailers, which mostly highlighted Mitty's fantasies and the gorgeous photography by Stuard Dryburgh, this one makes more of a point of Walter's personal journey to add some verve into his life by going above and beyond the call of duty of his job. It's this personal focus of the character that really defines the film, and even if this "middle-aged working guy grabs the bull by the horns"-type premise has been done, it's Stiller's respect for Mitty and his spiritual growth that keeps the film from dovetailing into cliche and sentiment.
The trailer is still trying to sell the film's laughs, which are relatively few and far between, particularly in the latter half, and I can't imagine most moviegoers being satisfied when they realize that the Ben Stiller awkward comedy they bought tickets for is actually a warm, deeply life-affirming drama about self-actualization and finding your sense of bravery in the modern world. For those who can get over the lukewarm buzz on the film, which calls it a "Super Bowl commercial" with the dramatic weight of a minor ENTOURAGE episode," it should be a rewarding experience. I think the film is a cute, impeccably-produced story that escapes Stiller's comfort zone and shows his ability to create bizarre, unconventional moments and narratives using big-budget Hollywood talent and techniques.
Just don't be surprised if you realize that more than half its laughs were revealed in the marketing (which, thankfully, omitted a late cameo that my audience greeted like a close friend showing up late for dinner).
THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY begins on Christmas Day.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Nordling Reviews THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL! -- 65 total posts 63 posts
- Idris Elba to voice a great, big, bloody Bengal tiger by the name of Shere Khan in Jon Favreau's JUNGLE BOOK! -- 78 total posts 52 posts
- "Just another Saturday night" Marv and company are back in the first trailer for SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR!! -- 179 total posts 37 posts
- Sam Raimi to produce an adaptation of THE LAST OF US!!! -- 140 total posts 36 posts
- From The Director Of GRAVITY!! The First Two Minutes Of NBC And Bad Robot’s BELIEVE!! -- 34 total posts 34 posts
- A newly remastered 4K print of THE TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE is coming just in time for its 40th anniversary!! -- 53 total posts 28 posts
- Jeremy Returns With More Tales From The CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER Set! -- 53 total posts 27 posts
- Yowzwa!! Here’s 4 Minutes Of CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER!! -- 202 total posts 25 posts
- Will the sun come out tomorrow!?! The first trailer for the remake of ANNIE is here! -- 552 total posts 21 posts
- Are You Primed For Optimus’ TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION Character Poster?? -- 164 total posts 19 posts