Check out this six-minute trailer for THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
A little less than a month before its official release, and we get this six-minute extended trailer for THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY that mixes footage we've seen with some new stuff to give us our most extensive look at the film thus far. Unlike the previous trailers, which mostly highlighted Mitty's fantasies and the gorgeous photography by Stuard Dryburgh, this one makes more of a point of Walter's personal journey to add some verve into his life by going above and beyond the call of duty of his job. It's this personal focus of the character that really defines the film, and even if this "middle-aged working guy grabs the bull by the horns"-type premise has been done, it's Stiller's respect for Mitty and his spiritual growth that keeps the film from dovetailing into cliche and sentiment.
The trailer is still trying to sell the film's laughs, which are relatively few and far between, particularly in the latter half, and I can't imagine most moviegoers being satisfied when they realize that the Ben Stiller awkward comedy they bought tickets for is actually a warm, deeply life-affirming drama about self-actualization and finding your sense of bravery in the modern world. For those who can get over the lukewarm buzz on the film, which calls it a "Super Bowl commercial" with the dramatic weight of a minor ENTOURAGE episode," it should be a rewarding experience. I think the film is a cute, impeccably-produced story that escapes Stiller's comfort zone and shows his ability to create bizarre, unconventional moments and narratives using big-budget Hollywood talent and techniques.
Just don't be surprised if you realize that more than half its laughs were revealed in the marketing (which, thankfully, omitted a late cameo that my audience greeted like a close friend showing up late for dinner).
THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY begins on Christmas Day.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Robin Williams May Return As Mrs. Doubtfire! -- 164 total posts 115 posts
- Who wants to see one of GODZILLA's opponents from the new film!?! (In toy form) -- 247 total posts 87 posts
- Set photos from the set of STAR WARS EPISODE VII in Abu Dhabi?! What's that big round disc they're rolling around?? -- 224 total posts 65 posts
- There's some cross-promotion going on in the credits of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2, and it's not hinting at what you think! -- 84 total posts 39 posts
- Re-Revised X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST Casting Re-Adds A Mutant!! -- 154 total posts 35 posts
- Denzel Washington Walks In The Middle Of The Street In THE EQUALIZER Teaser Poster! -- 59 total posts 29 posts
- Some Wicked Cool Stills For The Upcoming BATMAN: ARKHAM KNIGHT Game!! -- 176 total posts 28 posts
- Stallone Talks EXPENDABLES Casting Approach!! Nicholson!?!? -- 262 total posts 19 posts
- AICN debuts the official poster for the stoner, doomsday, psychotic freak out film DON PEYOTE, starring, written and directed by Don Fogler!!! -- 18 total posts 18 posts
- Trailer for IF I STAY, Starring Chloe Grace Moretz! -- 72 total posts 17 posts