Christoph Waltz may play the villain in PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
We very well may have some details as to what to expect from PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES as directed by the KON-TIKI duo of Joachim Ronning and Espen Sandberg. According to The Daily Mail, the film will have Johnny Depp's Jack Sparrow racing to get an artifact called The Trident before a ghost named Captain Brand, who inevitably has his own beef with Cap'n Jack, gets to it first. The filmmakers are currently in negotiations with their pick for Captain Brand, which is none other than...
While Ian McShane struggled to juice up the last film as Blackbeard (which was more due to an underwritten role than McShane's trademark bluster), I'm thinking Waltz is more in line with the Geoffrey Rush school of chewing every penny of the $200 million+ scenery that Bruckheimer surrounds him with. I've seen this guy as a near-genius Nazi, an effortlessly wily dentist/bounty hunter, an insecure drug kingpin, and I'm soon to see him as a horrible boss. Can't wait to see him add a nefarious pirate ghost to his repertoire!
Also in that post is news that Keith Richards is set to return as Captain Teague, a.k.a. Jack's old man, who knows something crucial about The Trident (seemingly in much the same way he magically knew about the Fountain of Youth when Jack was tasked to find it). Bleeding Cool reports that IRON MAN 3 botanist/biological coder Rebecca Hall is in talks to play Jack's love interest, an astronomer accused of witchcraft by uneducated, mid-18th century minds. More importantly, her father is none other than Geoffrey Rush's Captain Barbossa…awesome.
Even though I haven't been crazy about this series since the original, I keep finding myself getting excited for these movies, overlong narratives, unnecessary romantic subplots, and goofy, out-of-place humor be damned. I mean, they are massive, big-budget pirate movies, for godssake; how many of those do we get these days? With Waltz and Hall onboard, and with fresh blood attacking the franchise from a new perspective, I'm keeping my hopes up for this one.
PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES sets sail in Summer 2016.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Copernicus is really pissed about the Stephen Hawking biopic THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING that he saw at TIFF -- 24 total posts 24 posts
- Morgan Freeman Joins the Cast of BEN-HUR! -- 230 total posts 8 posts
‘Why Must It Always
Hercules Loves The Return Of Nelson Van Alden In Tonight’s BOARDWALK EMPIRE!! -- 37 total posts 7 posts
- STAR TREK Vet Bryan Fuller’s HIGH MOON Pilot Hits Syfy!! The Dome Is Shrinking On Penultimate UNDER!! 3-Hour International NINJA WARRIOR Special!! APPROVAL MATRIX & MASTERCHEF Finales!! LOVE & HIP HOP HOLLYWOOD Premiere!! New MNF, DALLAS, WOLF, MODEL & RAW!! TERROR IN NAIROBI On HBO!! Bill Hader & Nancy Pelosi on SETH!! Tim Olyphant & Nasim Pedrad On CONAN!! Herc’s Monday TV Talkback!! -- 6 total posts 6 posts
- Kelvington Says Tonight’s DOCTOR WHO Is A Perfect Episode – Were It Not For The Episode’s Foreshadowing!! -- 138 total posts 4 posts
- ‘Listen’!! Reader Reaction To DOCTOR WHO S08E04 Begins Now!! + HornOrSilk Reviews The ‘Zygon Hunt’ Big Finish Audio, And More!! -- 418 total posts 4 posts
- Tommy Lee Jones and Hilary Swank escort some crazy ladies across the old west in the trailer for THE HOMESMAN! -- 56 total posts 3 posts
- Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper are Back Together in the First Trailer for SERENA! -- 113 total posts 3 posts
- 2nd Sept 2014 PICKS & PEEKS Column: CAP 2, Pumpkinhead, Toho, Addams, Star Trek, Slashers, Comedy & Action+ -- 1527 total posts 2 posts
- The Jurors Return To The BIG BROTHER House!! PBS’ ROOSEVELTS Premiere!! New STRAIN, MANHATTAN, SEX, NAKED & RAY!! Herc’s Sunday TV Talkback!! -- 19 total posts 2 posts