J.J. Talks STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS CumberSecrecy - Maybe It Was Mishandled??
MTV has an interesting little discussion with J.J. Abrams in which the issue of spin control leading up to the release of STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS is raised. Abrams…offers a surprisingly honest and refreshing answer regarding whether or not he and his people went too far in concealing the ‘true’ identity of Benedict Cumberbatch’s character in the film.
Personally, as I’ve stated before, I do think that entire matter was woefully mishandled - and may well have confounded potential viewers rather than shielding them from ‘spoilers.’
Also, I’m a strong believer that hyper secrecy on a film project (or TV project) can often be more detrimental than constructive - for two primary reasons:
1) My personal belief (and I fully realize this opinion will not be shared by many - and may even be reviled by a few) is that…if knowledge of a ‘spoiler’ is going to diminish one’s ability to enjoy a story, then the story in question isn’t being conveyed strongly enough to begin with. Strong stories…’classic stories’…after all…are the ones we can enjoy over and over again, regardless of our foreknowledge.
2) Too much ‘secrecy’ regarding a project often invites audiences and fans to theorize and imagine and HOPE and conjecture…which is fun enough, admittedly. On the other hand, what fans/audiences end up imagining or conjecturing or anticipating is often wilder, bolder, or more imaginative than what ends up on screen. Thus, ironically, the ‘secrecy’ being used to preserve a film or TV show’s purity may inadvertently set-up their followers for disappointment…and a dreaded ‘Oh, THAT’S all it is!?’ reaction.
Again, I know these sentiments will seem reckless or alien to many - but they’re based on decades of experience in my field, and on realities and patterns I’ve seen unfold time and time again during the issuance of a number of different film and TV shows. I can’t help but think that more filmmakers/creators should believe in their work and let their work speak for itself, rather than attempt to program/control their audience's reaction to it.
- Google +
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Fox has hired a pair of writers to get a FLASH GORDON movie off the ground! -- 313 total posts 234 posts
- Today's STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Status Report: Casting "Almost Complete", Second Unit Shooting Underway! -- 333 total posts 77 posts
- IT'S A SMALL WORLD: THE MOVIE directed by Jon Turteltaub is a real thing Disney wants to make! -- 86 total posts 66 posts
- There Will Soon Be No More Orci / Kurtzman Movies!?!? + One Of Them Is Pushing To Direct The Third JJVerse STAR TREK Film!! -- 311 total posts 63 posts
- 100 Lucky Ones will see AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 here in Austin on April 30th! -- 416 total posts 59 posts
- BARBIE. The Movie. -- 48 total posts 48 posts
- ‘So Who Wants To Go First??’ Amy Acker Is The Cellist In Joss Whedon’s AGENTS OF SHIELD!! ELSEWHERE & ER On PIONEERS OF TELEVISION!! New AWKWARD, SWAP, BOY, STORAGE, SCHUMER, TOSH, GLEE, FIRE, MINDY, DUSK, ORIGINALS, SUPERNATURAL, FARGO, FISHER & VOICE!! CONTAINER Finale!! Don Rickles On KIMMEL!! Natalie Dormer On SETH!! Stephen Colbert On LETTERMAN!! Elizabeth Warren On THE DAILY SHOW!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 168 total posts 40 posts
- Robert Downey Jr. seems to be tweeting a picture a day from the set of Avengers: Age of Ultron... -- 39 total posts 39 posts
Learn What’s Ahead
For GAME OF THRONES!! -- 60 total posts 38 posts
- The First Official BTS Shots From JURASSIC WORLD Are Here!! -- 28 total posts 28 posts