J.J. Talks STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS CumberSecrecy - Maybe It Was Mishandled??
MTV has an interesting little discussion with J.J. Abrams in which the issue of spin control leading up to the release of STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS is raised. Abrams…offers a surprisingly honest and refreshing answer regarding whether or not he and his people went too far in concealing the ‘true’ identity of Benedict Cumberbatch’s character in the film.
Personally, as I’ve stated before, I do think that entire matter was woefully mishandled - and may well have confounded potential viewers rather than shielding them from ‘spoilers.’
Also, I’m a strong believer that hyper secrecy on a film project (or TV project) can often be more detrimental than constructive - for two primary reasons:
1) My personal belief (and I fully realize this opinion will not be shared by many - and may even be reviled by a few) is that…if knowledge of a ‘spoiler’ is going to diminish one’s ability to enjoy a story, then the story in question isn’t being conveyed strongly enough to begin with. Strong stories…’classic stories’…after all…are the ones we can enjoy over and over again, regardless of our foreknowledge.
2) Too much ‘secrecy’ regarding a project often invites audiences and fans to theorize and imagine and HOPE and conjecture…which is fun enough, admittedly. On the other hand, what fans/audiences end up imagining or conjecturing or anticipating is often wilder, bolder, or more imaginative than what ends up on screen. Thus, ironically, the ‘secrecy’ being used to preserve a film or TV show’s purity may inadvertently set-up their followers for disappointment…and a dreaded ‘Oh, THAT’S all it is!?’ reaction.
Again, I know these sentiments will seem reckless or alien to many - but they’re based on decades of experience in my field, and on realities and patterns I’ve seen unfold time and time again during the issuance of a number of different film and TV shows. I can’t help but think that more filmmakers/creators should believe in their work and let their work speak for itself, rather than attempt to program/control their audience's reaction to it.
- Google +
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- 3rd PICKS & PEEKS of Sept 2014: Crichton Blus, THE PARTY, Bloody Entertainment, GODZILLA 3D & More!!! -- 321 total posts 321 posts
- A New Poster For Christopher Nolan’s INTERSTELLAR!! -- 174 total posts 174 posts
- Loki vs. King Kong in SKULL ISLAND! -- 173 total posts 173 posts
- Behold The Cool(ish) IMAX Poster For DRACULA UNTOLD!! -- 151 total posts 151 posts
- Check out this MASSIVE new HOBBIT: BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES banner!! -- 293 total posts 138 posts
- Hold off, Aaron Cross: Matt Damon's back as Jason Bourne! -- 218 total posts 103 posts
- Promo Images From DOCTOR WHO S08E05 - ‘Time Heist’!! -- 63 total posts 63 posts
- 2nd Sept 2014 PICKS & PEEKS Column: CAP 2, Pumpkinhead, Toho, Addams, Star Trek, Slashers, Comedy & Action+ -- 1804 total posts 51 posts
- Looks like they got the right Mann to play Audrey Griswald in the VACATION update! -- 133 total posts 51 posts
- SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE Hires 20-Year-Old Cast Member!! -- 79 total posts 48 posts