This clip from INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS shows that it's hard out there for an unsuccessful, wayward folk singer!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
It's only two weeks until INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS finally hits U.S. screens, and we have yet another peek at the film via this Moviefone-exclusive clip. Here, we see our titular folksman trying to scrounge up some dough from his record label, run by a crotchety old couple with little-to-no interest in compensating their artist. It's a funny scene with the Coen Bros.' trademark deadpan humor that almost veers into the tonal territory of A SERIOUS MAN.
I was able to see the film last night, and while this scene is charming out of context, it represents my biggest problem with the final movie, which is the fairly significant amount of schtick and banter in what is, ostensibly, a dramatic character study. In some scenes, such as John Goodman's, where his off-the-cuff rambling co-exists marvelously with Oscar Isaac's existential frustration, it works like gangbusters; in others, it feels like the actors (as well as the Coens) should be taking this story a little more seriously.
Regardless, as you can see below, the film does have a bunch of tickling, "Coen-esque" moments, and their recreation of mid-century Greenwich Village is quite lovely. You only get a glimmer of Isaac's terrific lead performance below, but I can assure you, it's nothing remotely dismissible. He comes out of this movie a bonafide leading man (if not simply a bonafide man), and he's the main reason to take this latest trek through the Coen brothers' lens (but far from the only reason).
INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS hits the needle on December 6th.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of The First Jack Bauer 24 Adventure Since 2010!! Plus GAME OF THRONES, MAD MEN, HANNIBAL, AGENTS OF SHIELD, And More!! And The Return Of FX MOVIE DOWNLOAD Star Sasha Perl-Raver!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 298 total posts 148 posts
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 427 total posts 146 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 317 total posts 71 posts
- ‘I Have Something To Say To The People Of Meereen!!’ The Stormborn Returns For Tonight’s Third GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 34 total posts 34 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 247 total posts 27 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 211 total posts 21 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 586 total posts 20 posts
- ‘Why Don’t We Just Start Our Own Agency??’ Sunday Brings One Of The 13 Final MAD MENs!! -- 13 total posts 13 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 205 total posts 12 posts
- 3rd week of April 2014's PICKS & PEEKS: Welles,Wilder,Svankmajer, Mann,Jeong, Sirk,Trier & more!!! -- 153 total posts 7 posts