This clip from INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS shows that it's hard out there for an unsuccessful, wayward folk singer!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
It's only two weeks until INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS finally hits U.S. screens, and we have yet another peek at the film via this Moviefone-exclusive clip. Here, we see our titular folksman trying to scrounge up some dough from his record label, run by a crotchety old couple with little-to-no interest in compensating their artist. It's a funny scene with the Coen Bros.' trademark deadpan humor that almost veers into the tonal territory of A SERIOUS MAN.
I was able to see the film last night, and while this scene is charming out of context, it represents my biggest problem with the final movie, which is the fairly significant amount of schtick and banter in what is, ostensibly, a dramatic character study. In some scenes, such as John Goodman's, where his off-the-cuff rambling co-exists marvelously with Oscar Isaac's existential frustration, it works like gangbusters; in others, it feels like the actors (as well as the Coens) should be taking this story a little more seriously.
Regardless, as you can see below, the film does have a bunch of tickling, "Coen-esque" moments, and their recreation of mid-century Greenwich Village is quite lovely. You only get a glimmer of Isaac's terrific lead performance below, but I can assure you, it's nothing remotely dismissible. He comes out of this movie a bonafide leading man (if not simply a bonafide man), and he's the main reason to take this latest trek through the Coen brothers' lens (but far from the only reason).
INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS hits the needle on December 6th.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Will Ferrell and Adam McKay to bring you MANIMAL: THE MOVIE! -- 187 total posts 46 posts
- 4th Week of July 2014 PICKS & PEEKS: Werewolves, BLUE RUIN, Nordic Noir, ALL CHEERLEADERS DIE + more! -- 183 total posts 25 posts
- Edgar Wright's Next Project Revealed! -- 133 total posts 25 posts
- "I would never order an alcoholic beverage on the bridge..." Trailer for SPACE STATION 76 has its heart firmly in place and its tongue firmly in cheek! -- 72 total posts 23 posts
- New Trailer Promises the Creepiest HONEYMOON Ever! -- 36 total posts 18 posts
- JJ Abrams reveals a rusted out, beat up awesome looking X-Wing in new video! -- 555 total posts 15 posts
- A New & Full Length Trailer For Disney XD’s STAR WARS REBELS!! -- 67 total posts 15 posts
- Idris Elba to play one of Guy Ritchie's KNIGHTS OF THE ROUNDTABLE! -- 342 total posts 15 posts
- Learn Which Movie Star Just Signed On To HBO’s Jonathan Nolan/Bad Robot Pilot WESTWORLD!! -- 13 total posts 13 posts
- INSIDIOUS: CHAPTER 3 is actually a prequel, plus details on how you could win a trip to visit the set!! -- 24 total posts 10 posts