Ringleader Studios (“The Amityville Horror: The Lost Tapes”) is developing a series remake of Tobe Hooper’s 1985 Steve Railsback-Patrick Stewart sci-fi thriller “Lifeforce.”
To do so, the company has acquired screen rights to the 1976 Colin Wilson novel “The Space Vampires,” on which “Lifeforce” was based.
No channel is yet attached to the project.
The book deals with astronauts who discover hot, naked vitality-suckers lodged in Hailey’s Comet -- and foolishly decide to bring them back home to Earth.
Though the movie has acquired a cult following since its release, Variety was not impressed:
Pic [from the novel The Space Vampires by Colin Wilson] descends into subpar Agatha Christie territory.
The New York Times review by Janet Maslin panned it as well:
ABOUT 30 seconds into Tobe Hooper's ''Lifeforce,'' two things become clear: that this film is going to make no sense, and that Mr. Hooper's directorial work on ''Poltergeist'' may indeed have been heavily influenced by Steven Spielberg, who wrote and co-produced that film. ''Lifeforce'' shows off Mr. Hooper's way with a whirling mass of protoplasm, just as ''Poltergeist'' did. But its style is shrill and fragmented enough to turn ''Lifeforce'' into hysterical vampire porn.
Leonard Maltin only gave it a “5” out of 10. Stick around and learn that Entertianment Tonight’s Movietrack survey of filmgoers earned it a score of D+:
Mr. Skin, however, lauds the movie’s “Hall of Fame Nudity”:
How bad can an alien invasion be when the leader is mega-meloned Mathilda May? She flaunts her unearthly bod by walking nude throughout the sci-fi epic Lifeforce (1985), and it’s surprising that anybody even notices that London is being overrun by shriveled zombies.
Hopefully, if the project goes to series, it will land on a channel friendly to such extreme nakedocity.
Find all of Deadline’s exclusive on the matter here.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 159 total posts 134 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 122 total posts 78 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 180 total posts 37 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 556 total posts 33 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 176 total posts 19 posts
- Two Images From Michael Fassbender’s MACBETH Movie!! -- 104 total posts 14 posts
- ‘There Is Only One Hell!!’ Stannis, Davos, Melissandre, Varys, Bran, Hodor, Reek And The Bastard Of Bolton Return For Tonight’s Big Second GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 355 total posts 8 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 191 total posts 7 posts
- Check Out Thomas Haden Church in this Trailer for WHITEWASH! -- 63 total posts 7 posts
- In Many Ways We Need Each Other!! Graham & Lecter Reform Their Crimefighting Team On HANNIBAL!! New WHOSE, FIVE-0, BLOODS, UNFORGETTABLE, DIXIE, GUNS, LAST & SMACKDOWN!! Return Of THE WRITERS’ ROOM!! HANGER 1 Finale!! Shatner On CRAIG!! Herc’s Friday TV Talkback!! -- 26 total posts 6 posts