Ringleader Studios (“The Amityville Horror: The Lost Tapes”) is developing a series remake of Tobe Hooper’s 1985 Steve Railsback-Patrick Stewart sci-fi thriller “Lifeforce.”
To do so, the company has acquired screen rights to the 1976 Colin Wilson novel “The Space Vampires,” on which “Lifeforce” was based.
No channel is yet attached to the project.
The book deals with astronauts who discover hot, naked vitality-suckers lodged in Hailey’s Comet -- and foolishly decide to bring them back home to Earth.
Though the movie has acquired a cult following since its release, Variety was not impressed:
Pic [from the novel The Space Vampires by Colin Wilson] descends into subpar Agatha Christie territory.
The New York Times review by Janet Maslin panned it as well:
ABOUT 30 seconds into Tobe Hooper's ''Lifeforce,'' two things become clear: that this film is going to make no sense, and that Mr. Hooper's directorial work on ''Poltergeist'' may indeed have been heavily influenced by Steven Spielberg, who wrote and co-produced that film. ''Lifeforce'' shows off Mr. Hooper's way with a whirling mass of protoplasm, just as ''Poltergeist'' did. But its style is shrill and fragmented enough to turn ''Lifeforce'' into hysterical vampire porn.
Leonard Maltin only gave it a “5” out of 10. Stick around and learn that Entertianment Tonight’s Movietrack survey of filmgoers earned it a score of D+:
Mr. Skin, however, lauds the movie’s “Hall of Fame Nudity”:
How bad can an alien invasion be when the leader is mega-meloned Mathilda May? She flaunts her unearthly bod by walking nude throughout the sci-fi epic Lifeforce (1985), and it’s surprising that anybody even notices that London is being overrun by shriveled zombies.
Hopefully, if the project goes to series, it will land on a channel friendly to such extreme nakedocity.
Find all of Deadline’s exclusive on the matter here.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- BARBIE. The Movie. -- 147 total posts 17 posts
- They're going to have to look for another MIDNIGHT RIDER, because after that tragedy, William Hurt ain't stickin' around! -- 40 total posts 11 posts
- UPDATED (21:55): Trailer taken down by IFC! The trailer for BOYHOOD takes us through a decade-plus of the life of young lead actor Ellan Coltrane! -- 19 total posts 11 posts
- The First Official BTS Shots From JURASSIC WORLD Are Here!! -- 78 total posts 10 posts
- Robert Downey Jr. seems to be tweeting a picture a day from the set of Avengers: Age of Ultron... -- 111 total posts 10 posts
- Tom Hardy (as twins) and Emily Browning to star in Brian Helgeland's gangster flick, LEGEND! -- 17 total posts 8 posts
- Director Colin Trevorrow Talks The Bigger Picture Of JURASSIC WORLD!! -- 71 total posts 7 posts
- Fox has hired a pair of writers to get a FLASH GORDON movie off the ground! -- 398 total posts 6 posts
- "Where do you stand on Michael Buble?" "His windpipe?" Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon have more celebrity impressions up their sleeves in THE TRIP TO ITALY trailer! -- 28 total posts 6 posts
- There Will Soon Be No More Orci / Kurtzman Movies!?!? + One Of Them Is Pushing To Direct The Third JJVerse STAR TREK Film!! -- 343 total posts 6 posts