Some More Details on that R2-D2 Photo From Last Week!
Hey guys! Horrorella here...
Last week, Bad Robot tweeted a photo from the STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Workshop that showed director J.J. Abrams and producer Kathleen Kennedy posing with R2-D2, leading the internet to begin speculation as to weather or not the droid would be making an appearance in the new film.
Speculate no more - Variety has confirmed that yes, R2-D2 will be involved in the film, though, obviously, LucasFilm is remaining tight-lipped as to the role that he will be playing in the story.
And as cool as that is, here's where the story gets awesome:
The two other guys in the photo Lee Towersey and Oliver Steeples, two members of the Creature Effects Team. These guys apparently caught Kennedy's eye earlier this year when she saw the work that they had done as part of the worldwide R2-D2 Builders Club - a group dedicated to building and recreating the various robots and droids from the STAR WARS universe.
“She posed for pictures with us, looked at all the droids we’d built and was very complimentary,” said Steeples, who finished his first R2-D2 in 2007, after 10 years of collecting parts and researching. “I mentioned that the R2-D2 Builders in the UK were available if required, as a semi-joke. When I was contacted to work on the film by [executive producer] Jason McGatlin, it was on her recommendation.”
In an interview with The Official Star Wars Blog, the duo revealed where they currently are in the development process.
“What we do need to do is improve on the mechanics,” says Towersey. “We’re currently in a research and design phase where we’re looking at drive options for reliability on all possible terrains, whether it be a one-motor-does-all, or a system which is easily adjusted depending on terrain. We have a few mocked up ideas which we hope to road test very soon.”
So these fans spent a ton of time building these awesome working replicas, and now get to be a part of EPISODE VII. How fucking cool is that? I love the fact that a couple of STAR WARS geeks with an intense amount of passion, know-how and dedication have been brought on board the production.
What do you guys think?
Follow me on Twitter
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- 1st wk of Sept 2014's PICKS & PEEKS with Universal Monsters, FIRESTARTER, Eco-Terrorism, swords & fantasy! -- 207 total posts 203 posts
- A Badass GAME OF THRONES Sword Guy Has Apparently Been Cast In STAR WARS EPISODE VII!! -- 152 total posts 152 posts
- This New Trailer For MONSTERS: DARK CONTINENT Is Looking Promising!! -- 115 total posts 115 posts
- See Luke Evans' Kinect Bats In This New DRACULA UNTOLD Trailer!! -- 109 total posts 109 posts
- BBC Issues DOCTOR WHO: ‘Robot of Sherwood’ Promo Images!! + DOCTOR WHO EXTRAs For ‘Deep Breath’ And ‘Into the Dalek’ Are Now On YouTube!! -- 65 total posts 65 posts
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 751 total posts 37 posts
- Russell Crowe and Ryan Gosling to bust some heads as Shane Black's NICE GUYS in July 2016! -- 31 total posts 31 posts
- New Red-Band Trailer For ABCs OF DEATH 2 Ain't Fucking Around! -- 30 total posts 30 posts
- Guillermo del Toro and Legendary Teaming Up with YouTube for Halloween Short Films Project! -- 26 total posts 26 posts
- The DRUNK HISTORY Finale!! HOUDINI Finale!! ROYAL PAINS Finale!! RIZZOLI & ISLES Finale!! HARD KNOCKS Finale!! New TALENT, CARTER, GEAR, LITTLE, LIARS, MATADOR, WIZARD!! The Chenbot On LETTERMAN!! Brienne Of Tarth On CRAIG!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 25 total posts 25 posts