Will Winona Ryder Be in the BEETLEJUICE Sequel?
Hey guys! Horrorella here...
More possibilities are emerging from the BEETLEJUICE sequel. We already know that Seth Grahame-Smith is scripting the project, and learned last month that Tim Burton is in talks to direct the film, and that Michael Keaton would be reprising the iconic role.
Now, co-star Winona Ryder reveals that she may be joining the project as well. During an interivew with The Daily Beast, she said,
"I'm kind of sworn to secrecy...But it sounds like it might be happening."
She doesn't give any sort of indication as to what Lydia's role in the potential sequel would be, but acknowledges that she loves the character just as much as fans do.
"It's not a remake," Ryder revealed. "It's 27 years later. And I have to say, I love Lydia [Deetz, Ryder's teenage goth character] so much. She was such a huge part of me. I would be really interested in what she is doing 27 years later."
During the interview, Ryder also acknowledged some of the trepedation that has been voiced by fans, and the fear that revisiting the property would undermine the memory of the original.
"It's a very precious movie to people," she explained. "So there are a lot people like, 'DON'T.'"
She goes on to convey the fact that she would never be on board if Burton and Keaton were not a part of the project as well.
"I would never go near [a sequel] if it was not Tim and Michael," she said. "Because those guys, I love."
Now, obviously, nothing is set in stone at this point, but it is interesting food for thought. Like most fans, I am a bit wary about this property being revisited - I love the original and it was a huge huge part of my childhood. But the idea of the original players all revisiting it together does kind of make me smile a little. The characters, as well as the actors. The idea of Lydia still being involved in the story years later makes it feel more like BEETLEJUICE - especially compared to the idea of cashing in on a totally unrelated story. If they are able to pull it off and still give it the same vibe as the original (which will be tough - that flick is in a class all by itself), then it could be a fun experience.
What do you guys think?
Follow me on Twitter
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Who wants to see one of GODZILLA's opponents from the new film!?! (In toy form) -- 209 total posts 49 posts
- Robin Williams May Return As Mrs. Doubtfire! -- 90 total posts 41 posts
- Denzel Washington Walks In The Middle Of The Street In THE EQUALIZER Teaser Poster! -- 50 total posts 20 posts
- There's some cross-promotion going on in the credits of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2, and it's not hinting at what you think! -- 65 total posts 20 posts
- Set photos from the set of STAR WARS EPISODE VII in Abu Dhabi?! What's that big round disc they're rolling around?? -- 175 total posts 16 posts
- 3rd Official X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST trailer hits - and it is a big one!!! -- 507 total posts 11 posts
- Re-Revised X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST Casting Re-Adds A Mutant!! -- 127 total posts 8 posts
- This nifty teaser for Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO hints at some freaky stuff going on in the Amazon! -- 74 total posts 6 posts
- Trailer for IF I STAY, Starring Chloe Grace Moretz! -- 61 total posts 6 posts
- "Alright boys, it's Howdy-Doody time!" Michael C. Hall, Sam Shepard, and Don Johnson do the southern noir thing in this COLD IN JULY trailer! -- 26 total posts 4 posts