Will Winona Ryder Be in the BEETLEJUICE Sequel?
Hey guys! Horrorella here...
More possibilities are emerging from the BEETLEJUICE sequel. We already know that Seth Grahame-Smith is scripting the project, and learned last month that Tim Burton is in talks to direct the film, and that Michael Keaton would be reprising the iconic role.
Now, co-star Winona Ryder reveals that she may be joining the project as well. During an interivew with The Daily Beast, she said,
"I'm kind of sworn to secrecy...But it sounds like it might be happening."
She doesn't give any sort of indication as to what Lydia's role in the potential sequel would be, but acknowledges that she loves the character just as much as fans do.
"It's not a remake," Ryder revealed. "It's 27 years later. And I have to say, I love Lydia [Deetz, Ryder's teenage goth character] so much. She was such a huge part of me. I would be really interested in what she is doing 27 years later."
During the interview, Ryder also acknowledged some of the trepedation that has been voiced by fans, and the fear that revisiting the property would undermine the memory of the original.
"It's a very precious movie to people," she explained. "So there are a lot people like, 'DON'T.'"
She goes on to convey the fact that she would never be on board if Burton and Keaton were not a part of the project as well.
"I would never go near [a sequel] if it was not Tim and Michael," she said. "Because those guys, I love."
Now, obviously, nothing is set in stone at this point, but it is interesting food for thought. Like most fans, I am a bit wary about this property being revisited - I love the original and it was a huge huge part of my childhood. But the idea of the original players all revisiting it together does kind of make me smile a little. The characters, as well as the actors. The idea of Lydia still being involved in the story years later makes it feel more like BEETLEJUICE - especially compared to the idea of cashing in on a totally unrelated story. If they are able to pull it off and still give it the same vibe as the original (which will be tough - that flick is in a class all by itself), then it could be a fun experience.
What do you guys think?
Follow me on Twitter
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- At Long Last, Our First Trailer For MAD MAX: FURY ROAD!! Official Vid Of Comic-Con Reel!! -- 558 total posts 107 posts
- Harry says GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY is better than German Chocolate Cake & means it!!! -- 417 total posts 97 posts
- SDCC '14: First footage of Batman vs Superman screens!!! Now w/ hi-res look at Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman!! -- 699 total posts 34 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint runs down the AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON footage!!! -- 164 total posts 22 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint has seen actual footage from George Miller's MAD MAX: FURY ROAD!!! -- 123 total posts 16 posts
- ‘You Have Failed This City!!’ When Atom Met ARROW!! 2.5 Minutes Of Season Three!! -- 50 total posts 14 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint has a ton of photos and highlights from Marvel's Avengers: Age of Ultron panel! -- 107 total posts 12 posts
- SDCC '14: Gareth Edwards confirmed to direct GODZILLA 2! Also, a few familiar monsters we should expect! -- 145 total posts 12 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint checks out Marvel's Ant-Man panel and sees a nifty teaser sequence! -- 65 total posts 11 posts
- Full banner and character posters from AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON! -- 199 total posts 10 posts