Will Smith to dislodge Manhattan and sail it across the Atlantic in THE CITY THAT SAILED!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
According to Deadline, Will Smith has chosen his next project, and it's gonna be Shawn Levy's THE CITY THAT SAILED. The film will have Smith playing a New York father whose daughter's wish to sail the island of Manhattan across the Atlantic Ocean to England comes true. The script is being written by Audrey Wells (UNDER THE TUSCAN SUN, THE TRUTH ABOUT CATS & DOGS); no word on whether any elements remain from the draft that was written by Andrew Niccol when the film was in development a few years back.
After the failed attempt to go slightly more mature with AFTER EARTH, it seems that Big Willie Style would rather play it safe and go family-friendly with the director of THE INTERNSHIP and NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM than take on something a little more challenging. Levy's track record does include half-winners like DATE NIGHT and REAL STEEL, but nothing about this premise convinces me the film will be anything more than a schmaltz fest with a Katy Perry/Taylor Swift song playing over its trailer. Of course, I had very few hopes for REAL STEEL, and it ended up being a thoroughly competent, entertaining family film, so who knows?
All I know is, if this is the thing that Will Smith chooses over INDEPENDENCE DAY 2, I'm gonna be mighty upset. Every character in that film having to offhandedly reference what happened to Captain Steve Hiller because Smith wanted to do a family film about Manhattan sailing across the ocean? Please.
And, dear god, can we all hope that Will Smith doesn't cast his own daughter in the movie? I mean, after this past summer, is Prince still convinced that this nepotism thing is going his way?
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- SDCC '14: Another snap of Batfleck from BATMAN V SUPERMAN! -- 267 total posts 39 posts
- "This is a classic alternate reality situation...like FRINGE!" Get wet with the red-band trailer for HOT TUB TIME MACHINE 2! -- 78 total posts 25 posts
- Mark Hamill referred to his beard for STAR WARS: EPISODE VII as "contractually-obligated"!! Does that confirm what we've been hearing?? -- 207 total posts 22 posts
- FIFTY SHADES OF GREY Trailer Is Like Daaaaayuuuuuuum! -- 268 total posts 21 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint talks about the surprisingly good 5-ish minutes of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles shown at the Con! -- 16 total posts 16 posts
- There's a new awesome filming location for STAR WARS 7!!! -- 240 total posts 7 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint reports in on the panel of The Giver! Footage! Jeff Bridges Q&A! -- 14 total posts 5 posts
- The Bat Cowl from BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE is in the hall! -- 280 total posts 5 posts
- Check Out this New Poster for HORNS! -- 31 total posts 4 posts
- Spierig Brothers to Write and Direct WINCHESTER for Hammer! -- 12 total posts 3 posts