The Rock to work his acting chops while lost at sea in NOT WITHOUT HOPE!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
Dwayne Johnson is really living up to his "Team Bring It" motto; the dude appeared in 5 movies in 2013, not to mention WWE appearances (as The Rock) and his own TV show, THE HERO. One of those '13 movies was the more dramatically-minded SNITCH, and even though it opened softer at the box-office than Johnson's typical action and family flicks, it seems that he's still got the desire to squeeze more serious acting gigs in between movies like HERCULES: THE THRACIAN WARS and FAST 7. Variety has announced that the actor will be playing former University of South Florida football player, Nick Schuyler, in an adaptation of Schuyler's memoir, NOT WITHOUT HOPE.
Back in '09, Shuyler and three athlete buddies were on a fishing trip off the Florida coast when a storm descended on them, leading to their boat capsizing. After two and a half days out at sea, only Shuyler survived, and was found clinging to his boat (as seen above). His three buddies, including Oakland Raiders pick Marquis Cooper, were lost at sea and presumed dead. A movie version of this tragedy sounds like it'd be something in between ALL IS LOST and LONE SURVIVOR (ironically enough, Johnson will be working with the latter film's director, Peter Berg, on an upcoming HBO series).
Watching Redford try and survive out there in ALL IS LOST was a harrowing experience, and he didn't have to watch three of his buddies die. If whatever director signs on to this can wrangle the kind of performance out of Johnson that J.C. Chandor got out of Redford, this could be a revelatory role for the worldwide superstar. Hell, I'd love it if Johnson could pull down some serious respect for his acting talent; many of us have recognized the dude's talent and charisma for over a decade, and I don't think it was ever out of the question that he could handle more serious stuff, when asked of him. The more brave of you out there should check him out in SOUTHLAND TALES if you haven't seen it; despite how you feel about the movie, there's no question that Johnson does weirder, more interesting work than is usually asked of him, and handles it like a champ.
What do you guys think? Does Dwayne Johnson watching three close buddies die while he slowly suffers from hyperthermia while clinging to a boat sound like something you'd want to see?
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Two New AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON Comic-Con Posters Reveal… -- 262 total posts 262 posts
- UPDATED! Has Marvel's DOCTOR STRANGE Casting Search Gone To Phoenix? -- 152 total posts 152 posts
- SDCC '14: Another snap of Batfleck from BATMAN V SUPERMAN! -- 358 total posts 131 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint has seen the new Interstellar trailer! Plus The Rock and Spongebob stuff! -- 117 total posts 117 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint talks about the surprisingly good 5-ish minutes of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles shown at the Con! -- 114 total posts 114 posts
- Mark Hamill referred to his beard for STAR WARS: EPISODE VII as "contractually-obligated"!! Does that confirm what we've been hearing?? -- 287 total posts 103 posts
- FIFTY SHADES OF GREY Trailer Is Like Daaaaayuuuuuuum! -- 319 total posts 73 posts
- "This is a classic alternate reality situation...like FRINGE!" Get wet with the red-band trailer for HOT TUB TIME MACHINE 2! -- 118 total posts 65 posts
- Sam Raimi Producing THE LAST OF US Movie! Maisie Williams In Talk To Play Ellie! -- 46 total posts 46 posts
- Footage of discarded concept art, interviews with Tim Burton and Kevin Smith, and Nicolas Cage in flight in this trailer for THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN LIVES! -- 39 total posts 39 posts