The Rock to work his acting chops while lost at sea in NOT WITHOUT HOPE!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
Dwayne Johnson is really living up to his "Team Bring It" motto; the dude appeared in 5 movies in 2013, not to mention WWE appearances (as The Rock) and his own TV show, THE HERO. One of those '13 movies was the more dramatically-minded SNITCH, and even though it opened softer at the box-office than Johnson's typical action and family flicks, it seems that he's still got the desire to squeeze more serious acting gigs in between movies like HERCULES: THE THRACIAN WARS and FAST 7. Variety has announced that the actor will be playing former University of South Florida football player, Nick Schuyler, in an adaptation of Schuyler's memoir, NOT WITHOUT HOPE.
Back in '09, Shuyler and three athlete buddies were on a fishing trip off the Florida coast when a storm descended on them, leading to their boat capsizing. After two and a half days out at sea, only Shuyler survived, and was found clinging to his boat (as seen above). His three buddies, including Oakland Raiders pick Marquis Cooper, were lost at sea and presumed dead. A movie version of this tragedy sounds like it'd be something in between ALL IS LOST and LONE SURVIVOR (ironically enough, Johnson will be working with the latter film's director, Peter Berg, on an upcoming HBO series).
Watching Redford try and survive out there in ALL IS LOST was a harrowing experience, and he didn't have to watch three of his buddies die. If whatever director signs on to this can wrangle the kind of performance out of Johnson that J.C. Chandor got out of Redford, this could be a revelatory role for the worldwide superstar. Hell, I'd love it if Johnson could pull down some serious respect for his acting talent; many of us have recognized the dude's talent and charisma for over a decade, and I don't think it was ever out of the question that he could handle more serious stuff, when asked of him. The more brave of you out there should check him out in SOUTHLAND TALES if you haven't seen it; despite how you feel about the movie, there's no question that Johnson does weirder, more interesting work than is usually asked of him, and handles it like a champ.
What do you guys think? Does Dwayne Johnson watching three close buddies die while he slowly suffers from hyperthermia while clinging to a boat sound like something you'd want to see?
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Matthew McConaughey as Randall Flag in THE STAND?!! -- 203 total posts 75 posts
- Take A ‘Deep Breath’ - The DOCTOR WHO S8 Weekend Docbacks Begin Now!! -- 143 total posts 34 posts
- Rumor Has It Another Character Is Returning To STAR WARS... -- 25 total posts 25 posts
- ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Season Premiere Of DOCTOR WHO And Asks: Why Is It So Terrible?? -- 186 total posts 21 posts
- Quint sits down with Frank Miller to talk a little about Sin City: A Dame To Kill For! -- 172 total posts 13 posts
- Harry may be crazy about SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR - but so may you -- 13 total posts 13 posts
- Get A Grip On Denzel Washington’s EQUALIZER!! -- 118 total posts 8 posts
- Creepy Dolls and Satanic Cults! Full ANNABELLE Trailer is Here! -- 103 total posts 6 posts
- An Andrew Dominik-written, Justin Lin-directed SHAOLIN TEMPLE remake is in the works! -- 27 total posts 4 posts
- August Picks & Peeks 2014 Catch Up: DePalma, Jarmusch, Corman, Cuaron, Arau, Cosmotos, Brass, Huston + more! -- 390 total posts 4 posts