Watch Stanley Tucci and Alice Eve get raw on each other in this trailer for SOME VELVET MORNING!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
Yahoo has put up the trailer for Neil LaBute's most recent directorial outing, SOME VELVET MORNING. The film is entirely comprised of an extended conversation between ex-lovers, as the man claims he's left his wife for her. The problem is, they haven't seen each other for several years, and the woman may or may not be carrying on an affair with the man's son. Not like he cares that much. Stanley Tucci and Alice Eve are the only actors in the film, and they are tasked with maintaining the drama for the length of the picture solely using LaBute's trademark dialogue.
I actually got to see this film back at Tribeca, and I found it to be a great, powerful return to form for LaBute after directing those more mainstream(?) remakes of DEATH AT A FUNERAL and THE WICKER MAN. The trailer gets across the intimacy and the elusive nature of the drama, but it only barely hints at how intense things get between these two characters as the narrative progresses. Let's just say, if you remember how poisoned the relationships IN THE COMPANY OF MEN and YOUR FRIENDS & NEIGHBORS get, just think that this one doesn't even let these two damaged, vicious characters leave each other alone for the whole picture. Tucci and Eve are horribly brave with the choices they make as actors, and make for one riveting film that is, somehow and simply, far more cinematic and suspenseful than one would expect from the premise.
Obviously, this is more for a particular audience than any LaBute feature since maybe THE SHAPE OF THINGS (and even that was less brutal and cynical than this one), but the trailer does kind of give you an idea of what kind of flick you're in for, so if you dig where it may be heading, keep it on your radar. It's more intelligent, emotionally immersive, and impeccably acted than the many of the films you'll see in theaters this winter.
SOME VELVET MORNING arrives on VOD on December 10th, and in theaters on December 13th.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of The First Jack Bauer 24 Adventure Since 2010!! Plus GAME OF THRONES, MAD MEN, HANNIBAL, AGENTS OF SHIELD, And More!! And The Return Of FX MOVIE DOWNLOAD Star Sasha Perl-Raver!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 297 total posts 147 posts
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 344 total posts 63 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 266 total posts 20 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 583 total posts 17 posts
- ‘I Have Something To Say To The People Of Meereen!!’ The Stormborn Returns For Tonight’s Third GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 16 total posts 16 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 236 total posts 16 posts
- ‘Why Don’t We Just Start Our Own Agency??’ Sunday Brings One Of The 13 Final MAD MENs!! -- 11 total posts 11 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 200 total posts 10 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 202 total posts 9 posts
- Two Images From Michael Fassbender’s MACBETH Movie!! -- 121 total posts 6 posts