There's a sequel to LAYER CAKE coming up, but with Jason Statham replacing Daniel Craig!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
I mean, who out there ever expected a sequel to Matthew Vaughn's LAYER CAKE? Not to spoil the ending of that badass 2004 film, but it did seem that that story had been nicely wrapped up in a way that was both definitive and thoroughly satisfactory. At least for us.
But according to Deadline, Jason Statham has other plans. He and producing partner Steve Chasman have bought the rights to Connolly's sequel novel, VIVA LA MADNESS, which has the unnamed protagonist (credited as XXXX in LAYER CAKE) going up against Venezuelan cartels on his way to retirement.
Mike Fleming, Jr. speculates in that Deadline article that the character is being treated like Donald E. Westlake's Parker, which has had many different actors (Statham included) play the role in various incarnations of the character. However, it should be noted that the LAYER CAKE novel's ending is more fleshed out than the film's, and it does allow room for a direct sequel, if they choose to go that route. But I figure if they're going with a different lead, it may be in their best interest to just treat this as a sort of "reboot" altogether.
No word as to who will direct, or whether Vaughn will be involved in some capacity. My guess is that, due to Vaughn and Statham's professional relationship (which goes back to LOCK, STOCK, AND TWO SMOKING BARRELS) that Vaughn's Marv Films will help produce the film, but who knows? Maybe he's pissed that someone is fucking with that great ending he came up with.
Craig really broke out (with U.S. audiences, at least) with LAYER CAKE, and I'm actually kind of curious to see Statham play Johnny Cool Drug Dealer as he navigates some even stranger waters than before. Hopefully, they can back him up with the kind of cast that lives up to the roster of British actors that helped make LAYER CAKE such a fun, complex world to get a glimpse into. I mean, would anybody really object if the only remaining element from the first movie was Colm Meany as the same character?
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- The Composer For That BATMAN / SUPERMAN Movie Is… -- 222 total posts 222 posts
- New International Trailer for ANNIE! -- 171 total posts 171 posts
- "I did not kill my wife. I am not a murderer," claims Ben Affleck in this teaser for GONE GIRL! -- 160 total posts 117 posts
- 3rd week of April 2014's PICKS & PEEKS: Welles,Wilder,Svankmajer, Mann,Jeong, Sirk,Trier & more!!! -- 102 total posts 102 posts
- ‘A Gift From The Clairvoyant!!’ Patton Oswalt Joins Joss Whedon’s AGENTS OF SHIELD!! Seinfeld On PIONEERS OF TELEVISION!! The Returns Of NEW GIRL, AWKWARD & WIFE SWAP!! The Premiere Of FARGO!! Plus New BOY, STORAGE, SCHUMER, PERSON, TOSH, NCIS, GLEE, FIRE, CONTAINER, MINDY, DUSK, ORIGINALS, SUPERNATURAL & VOICE!! TEEN MOM Finale Special!! DANCE MOMS 100!! HARDCORE PAWN Finale!! Nathan Fillion & Tatiana Maslany on CONAN!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 101 total posts 101 posts
- A new TV spot for THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 seems to be very spoilery! -- 211 total posts 91 posts
- David Fincher wants more money to do his JOBS! -- 165 total posts 67 posts
- THE SIGNAL and V/H/S co-director David Bruckner to direct the found footage FRIDAY THE 13TH reboot?! -- 59 total posts 59 posts
- MTV Movie Awards drops an opening scene from X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST! And it rocks! -- 298 total posts 57 posts
- A New Still From The Wachowski’s JUPITER ASCENDING!! -- 57 total posts 57 posts