The Behind the Scenes Pic of the Day was screamin' like banshees.
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here with today’s Behind the Scenes Pic!
I'm mere hours away from stepping on a plane to London (lucky me), but before I embark on this little journey I wanted to make sure the BTS pic got thrown up on the site, especially since the movie I'm featuring today is one I hold near and dear to my heart: Night of the Creeps.
I honestly don't remember which I saw first, but while Monster Squad owns a little piece of my heart I'll always love Night of the Creeps. It was ahead of its time in many ways. Young director Fred Dekker was full of gumption and fire and had a vision for a darkly comedic combination of b-movie sci-fi horror and film noir that resulted in one of the craziest genre movies of the '80s (and that's saying something).
In Night of the Creeps Tom Atkins is cooler than the Fonz on his best day, the zombie carnage is reminiscent of the fun insanity that would put Peter Jackson on the map a few years later with Braindead and Jill Whitlow plays one of the most ridiculously adorable sorority girls ever (who also happens to look pretty kick-ass wielding a flamethrower). There's a lot going for this movie, but the thing that probably hooked me the most was how it effortless switched genres a few times.
For instance, today's image is of a little person being made up as an alien. These little guys open the film and it really threw me for a loop seeing the movie turn from straight sci-fi to black and whitle '50s movie to '80s college comedy to neo-noir to a zombie splatter picture. The result of these clashing genres is a unique mixture that makes Night of the Creeps impossible to copy. The closest we've gotten is Slither. James Gunn swears up and down he hadn't seen Night of the Creeps and I believe him, but he's still gotten the closest.
Thanks to Dimitar Dimitrov and the Practical Effects Group for the image.
If you have a behind the scenes shot you’d like to submit to this column, you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Soon you'll learn to appreciate tomorrow's pic.
I've got a lot of maintenance work to do on the previous BTS articles, but you can visit two pages worth of images (beware of some broken links thanks to the last server shift): Click here for Page One and Click here for Page Two!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Is this our first look at The Thing from Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR reboot!?! -- 118 total posts 103 posts
- "The walrus is far more evolved than any man I've ever known...present company included." Trailer for Kevin Smith's TUSK has arrived! -- 59 total posts 50 posts
- SDCC '14: James Gunn to write and direct the GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY sequel!! -- 91 total posts 39 posts
- Capone believes HERCULES does a Rock-solid job demystifying and reinforcing the myth!!! -- 32 total posts 32 posts
- UPDATED! Has Marvel's DOCTOR STRANGE Casting Search Gone To Phoenix? -- 268 total posts 30 posts
- Footage of discarded concept art, interviews with Tim Burton and Kevin Smith, and Nicolas Cage in flight in this trailer for THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN LIVES! -- 121 total posts 25 posts
- Patrick Wilson drops out of ANT-MAN!! -- 107 total posts 19 posts
- Learn Which STAR TREK Icon Joins GAME OF THRONES Next Season!! (Hint: Not Nimoy!!) -- 14 total posts 14 posts
- The Guy Who Directed CAPTAIN AMERICA And The Guys Who Directed CAPTAIN AMERICA II Are Directing Episodes Of Marvel’s New ABC Series AGENT CARTER!! -- 26 total posts 14 posts
- Capone can't decide if Luc Besson's LUCY is a dumb movie about smart people or a smart movie about dumb people. Whatever it is, he still mostly digs it!!! -- 14 total posts 14 posts