BETTER CALL SAUL Could Be Prequel And Sequel To BREAKING BAD??
Sony and AMC announced in September that their “Breaking Bad” spin-off “Better Call Saul” would be an hourlong prequel – but might there be a sequel element as well?
While promoting Alexander Payne’s much anticipated big-screen effort “Nebraska,” Bob Odenkirk had some interesting things to say to IGN about his upcoming TV show. Excerpt:
IGN: We’ve all been speculating about [AMC’s “Breaking Bad” spin-off “Better Call Saul”], and I was wondering if you thought it would be interesting if, within this prequel, there were some flash-forwards to where Saul is post-Breaking Bad on the lam in Nebraska – that life?
Bob Odenkirk: Well, I’ve talked to Vince [Gilligan] and Peter [Gould], who are writing and creating the series, about this and I’ve said that a lot of people do want to see what happens to next to Saul. So, I don’t know what they’re going to do. I know they’ve talked about prequel, but they’ve also talked to me about sequel, and they’ve also talked to me about a mix of prequel and sequel.
This is the first I’m hearing of a “mix" of prequel and sequel, but I'll say I judge a "Godfather Part II"-ish mix the best idea.
Odenkirk, who says Gilligan and Gould start scripting “Saul” in two weeks, also disclosed “Better Call Saul” won’t indulge more comedy than “Breaking Bad” did:
IGN: It’s been said that Better Call Saul will be more of a 70% comedy, 30% drama mix, which is sort of the reverse formula of Breaking Bad. Is that exciting for you?
Odenkirk: I don’t think that’s what it’s going to be. It’s going to be 70% drama and 30% comedy.
The actor also says he’s not sure how big a presence Saul’s late cohorts Gus Fring or Mike Ehrmantraut might have in the new series:
IGN: I know that Vince Gilligan has said there may be some Breaking Bad cameos in Better Call Saul, but it feels like a similar situation where you want to be kind of sparing with it, so that this show can have its own life.
Odenkirk: Oh my God, I told Peter and Vince, right away I said, ‘Look man, let us make this fresh for everyone.’ So that right away, in the first five minutes, every viewer goes, ‘Oh, this isn’t Breaking Bad, this is its own thing.’ And I think they feel the same exact way. There might be a cameo here or there, but I don’t know. We’re going to do a new show.
Find all of IGN’s interview with Odenkirk here.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- New Trailer For Christopher Nolan's INTERSTELLAR Is Here! Let's Light This Candle! -- 416 total posts 171 posts
- Alex Kurtzman (as in Kurtzman and Orci) to direct the MUMMY reboot...yay?!! -- 261 total posts 162 posts
- Jeremy Talks GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, ANT-MAN And Comic Con With Kevin Feige! -- 276 total posts 138 posts
- International BIRDMAN Trailer Is Here!!! -- 114 total posts 114 posts
- Trailer for NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM 3...yeah, you're welcome! -- 267 total posts 106 posts
- Rest In Peace Makeup Legend Dick Smith -- 94 total posts 94 posts
- Disney Taking The Ol' Bait-And-Switch Route With Teaser For INTO THE WOODS! -- 93 total posts 93 posts
- Trailer for MUDBLOODS - Documentary About Real Life Muggle Quidditch Players! -- 83 total posts 83 posts
- HBO Greenlights New Class Warfare Miniseries From THE WIRE Mastermind David Simon!! -- 103 total posts 69 posts
- First Poster for THE HATEFUL EIGHT Arrives, Confirming 2015 Release! -- 187 total posts 64 posts