BETTER CALL SAUL Could Be Prequel And Sequel To BREAKING BAD??
Sony and AMC announced in September that their “Breaking Bad” spin-off “Better Call Saul” would be an hourlong prequel – but might there be a sequel element as well?
While promoting Alexander Payne’s much anticipated big-screen effort “Nebraska,” Bob Odenkirk had some interesting things to say to IGN about his upcoming TV show. Excerpt:
IGN: We’ve all been speculating about [AMC’s “Breaking Bad” spin-off “Better Call Saul”], and I was wondering if you thought it would be interesting if, within this prequel, there were some flash-forwards to where Saul is post-Breaking Bad on the lam in Nebraska – that life?
Bob Odenkirk: Well, I’ve talked to Vince [Gilligan] and Peter [Gould], who are writing and creating the series, about this and I’ve said that a lot of people do want to see what happens to next to Saul. So, I don’t know what they’re going to do. I know they’ve talked about prequel, but they’ve also talked to me about sequel, and they’ve also talked to me about a mix of prequel and sequel.
This is the first I’m hearing of a “mix" of prequel and sequel, but I'll say I judge a "Godfather Part II"-ish mix the best idea.
Odenkirk, who says Gilligan and Gould start scripting “Saul” in two weeks, also disclosed “Better Call Saul” won’t indulge more comedy than “Breaking Bad” did:
IGN: It’s been said that Better Call Saul will be more of a 70% comedy, 30% drama mix, which is sort of the reverse formula of Breaking Bad. Is that exciting for you?
Odenkirk: I don’t think that’s what it’s going to be. It’s going to be 70% drama and 30% comedy.
The actor also says he’s not sure how big a presence Saul’s late cohorts Gus Fring or Mike Ehrmantraut might have in the new series:
IGN: I know that Vince Gilligan has said there may be some Breaking Bad cameos in Better Call Saul, but it feels like a similar situation where you want to be kind of sparing with it, so that this show can have its own life.
Odenkirk: Oh my God, I told Peter and Vince, right away I said, ‘Look man, let us make this fresh for everyone.’ So that right away, in the first five minutes, every viewer goes, ‘Oh, this isn’t Breaking Bad, this is its own thing.’ And I think they feel the same exact way. There might be a cameo here or there, but I don’t know. We’re going to do a new show.
Find all of IGN’s interview with Odenkirk here.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 479 total posts 198 posts
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of The First Jack Bauer 24 Adventure Since 2010!! Plus GAME OF THRONES, MAD MEN, HANNIBAL, AGENTS OF SHIELD, And More!! And The Return Of FX MOVIE DOWNLOAD Star Sasha Perl-Raver!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 299 total posts 149 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 328 total posts 82 posts
- ‘I Have Something To Say To The People Of Meereen!!’ The Stormborn Returns For Tonight’s Third GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 56 total posts 56 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 255 total posts 35 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 223 total posts 33 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 590 total posts 24 posts
- Papa Vinyard Saw THE HATEFUL EIGHT Script Reading Last Night And Here's His Review! -- 21 total posts 21 posts
- ‘Why Don’t We Just Start Our Own Agency??’ Sunday Brings One Of The 13 Final MAD MENs!! -- 16 total posts 16 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 208 total posts 15 posts