The second SIN CITY movie gets a title change!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
Bloody Disgusting snapped a picture of a promotional one-sheet for the sequel to SIN CITY at AFM in Santa Monica, and it reveals that they've changed the subtitle from A DAME TO KILL FOR to the less aggressive-sounding A DAME TO DIE FOR. No official word as to the reason for the change, but I'd imagine it's mostly due to Dimension worrying about the use of the word "kill", especially when presented as something worth doing for the right "dame". Like killing yourself over a chick is any more reasonable.
This is the second time in the past few months that the word "kill" was removed from a major studio flick, the first time being Tom Cruise's EDGE OF TOMORROW (formerly called ALL YOU NEED IS KILL). While I can understand why they wouldn't want an international star like Cruise associating himself with a provocation to murder people, this is fuckin' SIN CITY we're talking about here. The sex and violence are inherently implied. Not to mention that the former title was directly taken from Frank Miller's original story, and is way more relevant to its actual content.
I don't even like the way it rolls off the tongue. It even feels like sap.
Not like this has any bearing on the quality of the finished film or anything, but it's still sort of a buzz-kill from my perspective. That old title sounded thoroughly repeatable and badass.
Chime in: "bummer" or "oh, whatever"?
SIN CITY: A DAME TO DIE FOR will still be worth killing for, worth dying for, and worth going to hell for (hopefully) on August 22nd, 2014.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Is this our first look at The Thing from Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR reboot!?! -- 124 total posts 109 posts
- "The walrus is far more evolved than any man I've ever known...present company included." Trailer for Kevin Smith's TUSK has arrived! -- 60 total posts 51 posts
- SDCC '14: James Gunn to write and direct the GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY sequel!! -- 93 total posts 41 posts
- Capone believes HERCULES does a Rock-solid job demystifying and reinforcing the myth!!! -- 36 total posts 36 posts
- UPDATED! Has Marvel's DOCTOR STRANGE Casting Search Gone To Phoenix? -- 269 total posts 31 posts
- Footage of discarded concept art, interviews with Tim Burton and Kevin Smith, and Nicolas Cage in flight in this trailer for THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN LIVES! -- 121 total posts 25 posts
- Patrick Wilson drops out of ANT-MAN!! -- 112 total posts 24 posts
- Capone can't decide if Luc Besson's LUCY is a dumb movie about smart people or a smart movie about dumb people. Whatever it is, he still mostly digs it!!! -- 21 total posts 21 posts
- Learn Which STAR TREK Icon Joins GAME OF THRONES Next Season!! (Hint: Not Nimoy!!) -- 17 total posts 17 posts
- Nordling Reviews GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY! -- 15 total posts 15 posts