The second SIN CITY movie gets a title change!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
Bloody Disgusting snapped a picture of a promotional one-sheet for the sequel to SIN CITY at AFM in Santa Monica, and it reveals that they've changed the subtitle from A DAME TO KILL FOR to the less aggressive-sounding A DAME TO DIE FOR. No official word as to the reason for the change, but I'd imagine it's mostly due to Dimension worrying about the use of the word "kill", especially when presented as something worth doing for the right "dame". Like killing yourself over a chick is any more reasonable.
This is the second time in the past few months that the word "kill" was removed from a major studio flick, the first time being Tom Cruise's EDGE OF TOMORROW (formerly called ALL YOU NEED IS KILL). While I can understand why they wouldn't want an international star like Cruise associating himself with a provocation to murder people, this is fuckin' SIN CITY we're talking about here. The sex and violence are inherently implied. Not to mention that the former title was directly taken from Frank Miller's original story, and is way more relevant to its actual content.
I don't even like the way it rolls off the tongue. It even feels like sap.
Not like this has any bearing on the quality of the finished film or anything, but it's still sort of a buzz-kill from my perspective. That old title sounded thoroughly repeatable and badass.
Chime in: "bummer" or "oh, whatever"?
SIN CITY: A DAME TO DIE FOR will still be worth killing for, worth dying for, and worth going to hell for (hopefully) on August 22nd, 2014.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- The GODZILLA Sequel Has A Writer!! -- 191 total posts 191 posts
- First look at footage from Genndy Tartakovsky's POPEYE! -- 270 total posts 169 posts
- After writing Gareth Edwards' STAR WARS flick, Gary Whitta will move on to Mark Millar's STARLIGHT! -- 153 total posts 153 posts
- DOCTOR WHO S08E05 ‘Time Heist’ Reader Reaction Begins Now!! + HornOrSilk’s ‘Domain Of The Voord’ Big Finish Audio Review, Synopses For Upcoming S8 Eps, And More!! UPDATE RE: UPCOMING UK TIME CHANGE!! -- 137 total posts 137 posts
- Rejoice! DEADPOOL: THE MOVIE comin' to you in February 2016!! -- 273 total posts 135 posts
- Quint is surprisingly quite fond of Kevin Smith's TUSK! Fantastic Fest 2014! -- 77 total posts 77 posts
- Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR gets pushed back nearly two months, and knocks ASSASSIN'S CREED off the calendar! -- 163 total posts 72 posts
- Gaze Upon the Trailer for Tim Burton's BIG EYES! -- 65 total posts 65 posts
- Guy Ritchie brings a mermaid onto land to play his Guinevere in KNIGHTS OF THE ROUNDTABLE: KING ARTHUR! -- 116 total posts 60 posts
- CBS, The Only Network Without A Superhero Show, Just Ordered To Series Berlanti’s SUPERGIRL!! -- 41 total posts 41 posts