Jon Favreau swings into the director's chair of THE JUNGLE BOOK!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
THE MAGIC KINGDOM didn't happen, but it looks like Jon Favreau is ready to tackle another property for Disney. Deadline has the story that Favs' next project (after his indie effort, CHEF) will be a JUNGLE BOOK movie for the House of Mouse. Slight cause for concern: the current draft is being written by STREET FIGHTER: THE LEGEND OF CHUN-LI scribe Justin Marks. Hopefully, the failure of that movie was more due to behind-the-scenes tinkering than Marks' efforts.
Favreau gave Deadline this quote:
“I can’t say that much, but there is an interesting take that could be very cool, and the hope is to relaunch a family brand with certain mythic elements. It is my first real family film since ELF, and there are action elements and visual effects that I feel like my experience on the IRON MAN films are going to be useful.”
Um, Jon, I'm pretty sure ZATHURA was a family film. Jus' sayin'.
No word as to what this "interesting take" involves, but hopefully it isn't any sort of "modern update" on Rudyard Kipling's classic stories of Mowgli, the boy raised by animals. Given that the relatively recent Stephen Sommers movie from '94 covered the same territory without the more fanciful elements (specifically talking animals), I'd guess that Favs is going to bring that stuff back into the fold (which would make it truer to Kipling's original work).
ELF and ZATHURA are both smarter-than-average "kids' movies", and Kipling's source material (and the Disney-fied iconography that accompanies it in pop culture) is rich with cool characters and scenes for Favreau to play around with. I'm excited to see his depictions of Bagheera, Shere Khan, Kaa, and, of course, Baloo; remember how funny and adorable those claymation characters were in ELF?
At the very least, this should do better with the kiddies than THE SECOND JUNGLE BOOK: MOWGLI & BALOO (you ever see that? Bored me to tears as a child).
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of The First Jack Bauer 24 Adventure Since 2010!! Plus GAME OF THRONES, MAD MEN, HANNIBAL, AGENTS OF SHIELD, And More!! And The Return Of FX MOVIE DOWNLOAD Star Sasha Perl-Raver!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 297 total posts 147 posts
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 383 total posts 102 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 280 total posts 34 posts
- ‘I Have Something To Say To The People Of Meereen!!’ The Stormborn Returns For Tonight’s Third GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 26 total posts 26 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 243 total posts 23 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 586 total posts 20 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 210 total posts 20 posts
- ‘Why Don’t We Just Start Our Own Agency??’ Sunday Brings One Of The 13 Final MAD MENs!! -- 12 total posts 12 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 203 total posts 10 posts
- 3rd week of April 2014's PICKS & PEEKS: Welles,Wilder,Svankmajer, Mann,Jeong, Sirk,Trier & more!!! -- 153 total posts 7 posts