Cult Fave SLEEPAWAY CAMP is Being Remade - If the Male Counselors Aren't Wearing Cutoff Shorts and Midriff Tops, What's the Point?
Hey guys! Horrorella here...
I don't want to ruin your Halloween or anything, but Deadline is reporting that a SLEEPAWAY CAMP remake is in the works from producer Jeff Katz. Interestingly, he will be joined by original writer/director Robert Hiltzik, producer Michele Tatosian, and actress Felissa Rose, who played Angela in the original film.
Katz aims to reboot the Sleepaway Camp mythos in a modern setting with a new film series that echoes its legacy and the psychosexual elements that made the first pic such a memorable cult favorite.
I'm a little hesitant to jump on board with this (even with some of the original players involved). I just don't know if SLEEPAWAY CAMP is the kind of lightning in a bottle that can be captured twice. And not just because of the legendary ending (which I refuse to spoil here). It's everything about it - the low-budget production, the fact that it drips '80's (not to mention blood), the softball game that never ends, the crazy shit the campers say to each other, crazy-ass Aunt Martha, the pervy kitchen staff...all of these pieces come together to create something absolutely insane and memorable. It's bizarre in the best possible way. I fell in love with the strange awesomeness that is SLEEPAWAY CAMP the first time I saw it, and I don't know that magic can be duplicated.
What do you guys think? Is SLEEPAWAY CAMP something that can or should be remade and modernized? Is it even possible?
Here's the trailer for the original film, for your viewing pleasure. If you haven't seen this flick yet, this is your Halloween homework. It will change your life.
Follow me on Twitter
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Check Out Spidey and Electro in the First Clip from THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2! -- 54 total posts 54 posts
- Is one of these guys ready to play Dr. Victor Von Doom in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 171 total posts 40 posts
- Jason Sudeikis to star as the Laker lovin', disguise wearin' Irwin "Fletch" Fletcher in FLETCH WON! -- 92 total posts 20 posts
- ‘Nobody’s Interested In Your Texts!!’ President Barack Obama Takes On Zach Galifianakis BETWEEN TWO FERNS!! -- 54 total posts 19 posts
- The Rock ‘Em, Sock ‘Em Badassity Of TITANFALL Is Now Upon Us!! -- 76 total posts 17 posts
- International OCULUS Poster Has Arrived! -- 11 total posts 11 posts
- New Clip from CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER! -- 85 total posts 9 posts
- Aliens look to Steve Martin to find them a new home planet in this extended teaser for HOME, entitled ALMOST HOME! -- 20 total posts 8 posts
- A New And Nice Clip From Darren Aronofsky’s NOAH!! + Emma Watson Introduces A New Trailer!! -- 130 total posts 8 posts
- See The Flash's Full Costume For The New CW Show!! -- 73 total posts 7 posts