Spike Lee to direct Justin Timberlake as record exec Neil Bogart in SPINNING GOLD!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
Above photo courtesy of The Hollywood Reporter.
THR has reported that Spike Lee is in talks to direct a biopic of Casablanca Records founder Neil Bogart entitled SPINNING GOLD. Justin Timberlake will play the legendary producer, who helped discover acts like KISS, The Village People, Donna Summer, and Joan Jett before his untimely death from cancer in 1982 at the age of 39.
Much of the film will take place in the disco era, which Lee depicted with a certain level of anarchic ambiguity in SUMMER OF SAM, so I'm looking forward to a less glitzy version of this story than another director would provide. Between this and OLDBOY, he's looking to finally make that serious mainstream breakthrough he almost accomplished with INSIDE MAN; with Timberlake (hot off INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS) attached, this does seem like the kind of project that would allow Spike to indulge his artistic instincts within decidedly commercial trappings.
What do you music fans think of Spike directing Timberlake as Bogart? Does this have any potential to be a hard-hitting look at the music scene of the mid-to-late-'70s/early-'80s?
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- The Bat Cowl from BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE is in the hall! -- 172 total posts 172 posts
- There's a new awesome filming location for STAR WARS 7!!! -- 145 total posts 145 posts
- Beginning of a flood of AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON Comic Con Artwork?!?! -- 180 total posts 97 posts
- Marvel Debuts Special ANT-MAN Poster For Comic Con! -- 103 total posts 61 posts
- Sony Says Fuck It, Announces Release Dates For THE SINISTER SIX And THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 3! -- 341 total posts 46 posts
- SDCC '14: Title logo for WARCRAFT! -- 49 total posts 38 posts
- Behold The Blazing New Poster For THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES!! -- 201 total posts 37 posts
- Marvel sets one additional 2018 release date! -- 97 total posts 36 posts
- He's not 007 anymore, but Pierce Brosnan is still kicking ass across Europe in the full trailer for THE NOVEMBER MAN! -- 81 total posts 32 posts
- EXPENDABLES 3 launches a ton of Comic Con posters! -- 92 total posts 31 posts