Look at Sean "Diddy" Combs, he's the KING OF NEW YORK!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
Sean Combs a.k.a. Puff Daddy a.k.a. Puffy a.k.a. P. Diddy a.k.a. Diddy has been acting in films for a while now since his strong debut as Ruiz the gangster in Jon Favreau's MADE. He was memorable in MONSTER'S BALL, many said he was the best part of GET HIM TO THE GREEK, and he'll be appearing in the upcoming MUPPET'S MOST WANTED in some capacity. Now, the New York Post has reported that Combs' next move as an actor will be to star in a self-produced remake of Abel Ferrara's KING OF NEW YORK. Their source is quoted thusly:
''Sean optioned the rights to remake 'King of New York' for two years. The film is a cult classic, and it will be great to remake it. Our version won't be exactly the same, but will have the same hard-core gangster feel. Sean wants to be in it, he was amazing in 'Monster's Ball', and such strong characters sit perfectly with him.''
While I'm fully aware of the near-ubiquitous worship of the film in the hip-hop community (where it and SCARFACE, with their images of self-made, ruthless millionaires, are something of an inspiration), I can't work up much hope for this project. The first one is such a product of its time and place that updating it screams of a vanity project, or even worse, a stab at increased cultural relevence. Not only did Ferrara's movie take place in a pre-Guiliani New York, filled with crime and potential danger at any corner, that simply does not exist anymore, but the cast he lined up was incredible, and filled with up-and-comers who had yet to reach the peaks of their popularity. Laurence Fishburne (still going by "Larry"), Steve Buscemi, Giancarlo Esposito, David Caruso, Wesley Snipes, Paul Calderon, and Harold Perrineau all made appearances in the film, not to mention Christopher Walken in his iconic turn as Frank White. Does Diddy think he can top Walken, let alone back himself up with a cast that stacked with talent? There's a reason none of these rappers have actually tried to remake SCARFACE yet; it's cause they know they ain't no Tony Montana, no matter how hard they try.
I mean, in reality, the true potential of the project will hinge on who Combs (as producer) lines up to direct this thing, but either way, I hope it dies on the vine. The first one's a classic, a one-of-a-kind gangster film, and I don't believe "rappifying" up the material is going to make it any better.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- 1st wk of Sept 2014's PICKS & PEEKS with Universal Monsters, FIRESTARTER, Eco-Terrorism, swords & fantasy! -- 27 total posts 23 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 384 total posts 12 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 423 total posts 10 posts
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 720 total posts 6 posts
- AICN HORROR: Dr. Karen Oughton checks out four fear-filled films from Film4 FrightFest 2014: THE LAST SHOWING! SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR! THE GUEST! DOC OF THE DEAD! -- 6 total posts 6 posts
- Abortionist Killers On PBS!! HOUDINI Hits History!! Angie Returns To THE DOME!! New DALLAS, PARADISE, WOLF, WILD, MASTERCHEF, MODEL, NINJA, HOTEL, BEACH, & RAW!! PARTNERS & MISTRESSES Finales!! UNAUTHORIZED SAVED BY THE BELL STORY!! Annaleigh Ashford On CRAIG!! Herc’s Monday TV Talkback!! -- 30 total posts 5 posts
- The DRUNK HISTORY Finale!! HOUDINI Finale!! ROYAL PAINS Finale!! RIZZOLI & ISLES Finale!! HARD KNOCKS Finale!! New TALENT, CARTER, GEAR, LITTLE, LIARS, MATADOR, WIZARD!! The Chenbot On LETTERMAN!! Brienne Of Tarth On CRAIG!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 4 total posts 4 posts
- A New Clip From STAR WARS REBELS!! -- 31 total posts 2 posts
- Harry may be crazy about SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR - but so may you -- 569 total posts 2 posts
- "Do you understand what it's like to be a genius?!!" Dan Harmon takes his show on the road in this trailer for HARMONTOWN! -- 19 total posts 1 post