Clive Barker Will Write His HELLRAISER Remake For Dimension Films!
HELLRAISER and HELLRAISER 2: HELLBOUND showed horror fans a rich mythology and a frightening world. Clive Barker's most well-known creation blew the doors off what we knew horror to be back in 1987, and to me, the original is still one of the scariest movies ever made. The sequel, in a lot of ways, is just as amazing, expanding the world of the original and showing us such sights of horror and despair. I never cared much for the sequels that followed those first two films, as the extraordinary became routine, and I always hoped Barker would return to this franchise some day.
Well, fans, that day has come. According to Clive Barker's Facebook feed, he is not only writing the script to the remake (which doesn't have a director yet) but will also bring about the return of the original Pinhead, Doug Bradley. Jesus wept, indeed:
HOT FROM HELL! My friends,I have some news which may be of interest to you. A few weeks ago I had a very productive meeting with Bob Weinstein of Dimension Pictures,in the course of which I pitched a remake of the first HELLRAISER film. The idea of my coming back to the original film and telling the story with a fresh intensity - honoring the structure and the designs from the first incarnation but hopefully creating an even darker and richer film - was attractive to Dimension. Today I have officially been invited to write the script based upon that pitch. What can I tell you about it?
Well, it will not be a film awash with CGI. I remain as passionate about the power of practical make-up effects as I was when I wrote and directed the first HELLRAISER. Of course the best make-up in the world loses force if not inhabited by a first-rate actor. I told the Dimension team that in my opinion there could never be a Pinhead without Doug Bradley, and much to my delight Bob Weinstein agreed. So once the papers are signed, I will open a Lemarchand Configuration, dip my quill in its contents and start writing. I promise that there will be nowhere on the Internet where the news of my progress will be more reliable than here, because the only author of these reports will be Your Infernal Corespondent, me.
My very best wishes to you
Going practical vs. CGI is especially exciting, and I hope that we see even more terrifying visions of the Cenobites, as well as the Lament Configuration. Perhaps we'll get more about the elusive Philip Lemarchand, the inventor of the Box. We wouldn't want to waste such good suffering.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Chats Up BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER / ED WOOD Icon (And Hollywood Royalty) Juliet Landau!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 10pm PT / Sunday 1am ET!! -- 356 total posts 329 posts
- ‘He’s Worse Than Anybody!!’ Sunday Brings HBO’s Season Finale Of TRUE DETECTIVE!! -- 12 total posts 12 posts
- ‘We Got Six Bullets!!’ Sunday Brings WALKING DEAD 4.13!! -- 8 total posts 8 posts
- Fox Renews For Next Season THE MINDY PROJECT, THE FOLLOWING, BROOKLYN NINE-NINE And NEW GIRL!! -- 61 total posts 7 posts
- Harry shares Day 1 of SXSW which stars Jon Favreau's utterly delicious CHEF!!! -- 135 total posts 6 posts
- Quint eats up Jon Favreau's CHEF, opening night flick of SXSW 2014! -- 33 total posts 5 posts
- Darker ZORRO Reboot Finds its Writer! -- 257 total posts 4 posts
- Michael Fassbender makes experimental music from behind a giant papier-mache head in this trailer for FRANK! -- 57 total posts 4 posts
- Learn What Happens Next On HBO’s GAME OF THRONES!! -- 140 total posts 3 posts
- Hercules Says RESURRECTION Is Easily The Best Broadcast Pilot Of The 2013-14 Season And ABC’s Best Pilot In Years!! -- 3 total posts 3 posts