Michael Arndt is off STAR WARS: EPISODE VII and J.J. Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan are now scripting!
Hey Yo, Draven here.
We have been hearing for a little while now that this was happening and a new announcement from StarWars.com confirms it. J.J. Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan are writing the STAR WARS: EPISODE VII script and Michael Arndt’s script from George Lucas’ outline is supposedly out. Here is their official statement:
As Episode VII continues pre-production, Lawrence Kasdan and director J.J. Abrams have assumed screenwriting duties for the film. Kasdan, who has been serving as a consultant on the film, is a veteran of several classic Lucasfilm productions, writing the screenplay for Raiders of the Lost Ark and serving as co-screenwriter for The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Acclaimed director and screenwriter Abrams' credits include Super 8, Mission: Impossible III, Fringe, and Lost.
"I am very excited about the story we have in place and thrilled to have Larry and J.J. working on the script," states Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy. "There are very few people who fundamentally understand the way a Star Wars story works like Larry, and it is nothing short of incredible to have him even more deeply involved in its return to the big screen. J.J. of course is an incredible storyteller in his own right. Michael Arndt has done a terrific job bringing us to this point and we have an amazing filmmaking and design team in place already prepping for production."
Location scouting, production design, casting, and costume design are already underway on Episode VII. A team of gifted artists are working to bring the latest installment of the Star Wars saga, including director of photography Dan Mindel (Mission: Impossible III, Star Trek, Star Trek Into Darkness), production designers Rick Carter (Lincoln, Avatar, Forrest Gump) and Darren Gilford (Oblivion, TRON: Legacy), costume designer Michael Kaplan (Star Trek Into Darkness, Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol, Fight Club),special effects supervisor Chris Corbould (Skyfall,The Dark Knight Rises, Inception), sound designer Ben Burtt (Lincoln, Wall-E, Star Wars: Episodes I-VI), re-recording mixer Gary Rydstrom (Jurassic Park, Saving Private Ryan, Toy Story, Mission: Impossible -Ghost Protocol), supervising sound editor Matthew Wood (Star Trek Into Darkness, The Master, There Will Be Blood) of Skywalker Sound, and visual effects supervisor Roger Guyett (Star Trek Into Darkness, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith) of Industrial Light & Magic. Kathleen Kennedy, J.J. Abrams, and Bryan Burk are producing, with Tommy Harper (Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol, Jack Ryan, Star Trek Into Darkness) and Jason McGatlin (Tintin,War of the Worlds) serving as executive producers. John Williams is returning to score Star Wars: Episode VII.
Shooting is scheduled to begin Spring 2014 at Pinewood Studios for an expected 2015 release.
This is obviously huge news and comes almost exactly a year after the announcement Disney made announcing EPISODE VII. While having the co-writer of THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK is great, it does lead to a lot of questions.
How much turmoil is there going on behind the scenes right now? What is the planned release date? (This statement now only says “an expected 2015 release” no longer Summer 2015.) It also now says that production is expected to begin Spring 2014 rather than January. I really doubt Abrams and company can have a post-production schedule of less than a year for a film of this magnitude. And, what about casting and all of the rumors of auditions? Are those thrown out the window now and casting begins from scrap? How much involvement is George Lucas going to have from this point forward?
I am sure they have been writing this new script and working from it for months now but it does raise some concerns. This announcement probably means everything is squared away now but it just confirms a lot of the more interesting rumors that have been surrounding this project.
What do you guys think? Is this concerning to you?
Follow me on Twitter here!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- 3rd PICKS & PEEKS of Sept 2014: Crichton Blus, THE PARTY, Bloody Entertainment, GODZILLA 3D & More!!! -- 113 total posts 113 posts
- Check out this MASSIVE new HOBBIT: BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES banner!! -- 243 total posts 88 posts
- Hold off, Aaron Cross: Matt Damon's back as Jason Bourne! -- 176 total posts 61 posts
- A New Poster For Christopher Nolan’s INTERSTELLAR!! -- 49 total posts 49 posts
- Behold The Cool(ish) IMAX Poster For DRACULA UNTOLD!! -- 40 total posts 40 posts
- SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE Hires 20-Year-Old Cast Member!! -- 68 total posts 37 posts
- Here come a remake that will really make you feel old - Sony is fast tracking a remake to I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER! -- 120 total posts 36 posts
- 2nd Sept 2014 PICKS & PEEKS Column: CAP 2, Pumpkinhead, Toho, Addams, Star Trek, Slashers, Comedy & Action+ -- 1780 total posts 27 posts
- Copernicus is really pissed about the Stephen Hawking biopic THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING that he saw at TIFF -- 133 total posts 23 posts
- Looks like they got the right Mann to play Audrey Griswald in the VACATION update! -- 104 total posts 22 posts