Tom Cruise may play Henry Ford II for OBLIVION director Joseph Kosinski in GO LIKE HELL!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
The Wrap has reported that Tom Cruise is in talks to once again collaborate with his OBLIVION director Joseph Kosinski for the real-life drama, GO LIKE HELL. The project would have Cruise playing Henry Ford II (grandson of Henry I) in the early-'60s, as he schemes with then-V.P. Lee Iacocca to give their company an edge in the European car-racing circuit. Ford's chief competition in the high-speed arena back then was Enzo Ferrari, who I believe they were able to one-up with their implementation of the "Mustang" line. So Cruise would be more THE AVIATOR-y here than DAYS OF THUNDER, it seems like.
I happened to like Cruise and Kosinski's OBLIVION quite a bit, and while it didn't do terrific at the U.S. box-office (it made about $90 million on a 120 mil budget), it made over twice it's budget back worldwide. It's nice to see that even though neither JACK REACHER nor OBLIVION set the world on fire or anything, Cruise was happy enough with the results of those films to re-team with their directors again (McQuarrie's still attached to MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE 5). Interestingly enough, Cruise's COLLATERAL director Michael Mann was the last dude set to helm this project, which seems like a more expected fit than Kosinski, but I'm excited to see what the TRON: LEGACY guy can do when portraying a lived-in, period environment.
If the deal works out, then we can look forward to who they cast as Iacocca and Ferrari. Both seem like they'd be high-profile, showy gigs. Could this be Tom Cruise's first Oscar-pedigree project since COLLATERAL?
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- ‘I Have Something To Say To The People Of Meereen!!’ The Stormborn Returns For Tonight’s Third GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 102 total posts 25 posts
- 100 Lucky Ones will see AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 here in Austin on April 30th! -- 19 total posts 19 posts
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 507 total posts 10 posts
- This Week's Saturday Shorts: Parkour, Compliments, and Getting Pooped on! -- 13 total posts 7 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 263 total posts 7 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 219 total posts 5 posts
- Papa Vinyard Saw THE HATEFUL EIGHT Script Reading Last Night And Here's His Review! -- 26 total posts 3 posts
- ‘Why Don’t We Just Start Our Own Agency??’ Sunday Brings One Of The 13 Final MAD MENs!! -- 21 total posts 3 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 332 total posts 3 posts
- AICN HORROR looks at PROXY! THE LASHMAN! 13 SINS! CAMP DREAD! ROULETTE! POSEIDON REX! CONFINE! DEATH DO US PART! PSYCHOPHONY: AN EXPERIMENT IN EVIL! MONSTERS TV Series! HOWLS! & WOLF CREEK 2! -- 10 total posts 2 posts