Tom Cruise may play Henry Ford II for OBLIVION director Joseph Kosinski in GO LIKE HELL!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
The Wrap has reported that Tom Cruise is in talks to once again collaborate with his OBLIVION director Joseph Kosinski for the real-life drama, GO LIKE HELL. The project would have Cruise playing Henry Ford II (grandson of Henry I) in the early-'60s, as he schemes with then-V.P. Lee Iacocca to give their company an edge in the European car-racing circuit. Ford's chief competition in the high-speed arena back then was Enzo Ferrari, who I believe they were able to one-up with their implementation of the "Mustang" line. So Cruise would be more THE AVIATOR-y here than DAYS OF THUNDER, it seems like.
I happened to like Cruise and Kosinski's OBLIVION quite a bit, and while it didn't do terrific at the U.S. box-office (it made about $90 million on a 120 mil budget), it made over twice it's budget back worldwide. It's nice to see that even though neither JACK REACHER nor OBLIVION set the world on fire or anything, Cruise was happy enough with the results of those films to re-team with their directors again (McQuarrie's still attached to MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE 5). Interestingly enough, Cruise's COLLATERAL director Michael Mann was the last dude set to helm this project, which seems like a more expected fit than Kosinski, but I'm excited to see what the TRON: LEGACY guy can do when portraying a lived-in, period environment.
If the deal works out, then we can look forward to who they cast as Iacocca and Ferrari. Both seem like they'd be high-profile, showy gigs. Could this be Tom Cruise's first Oscar-pedigree project since COLLATERAL?
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Could These International TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES Posters Win Over A Skeptical 7(ish) Year Old?? -- 95 total posts 95 posts
- Will Ferrell and Adam McKay to bring you MANIMAL: THE MOVIE! -- 209 total posts 68 posts
- Idris Elba to play one of Guy Ritchie's KNIGHTS OF THE ROUNDTABLE! -- 377 total posts 50 posts
- "I would never order an alcoholic beverage on the bridge..." Trailer for SPACE STATION 76 has its heart firmly in place and its tongue firmly in cheek! -- 96 total posts 47 posts
- Aye! The Next PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN Film Has An Official Release Date!! -- 33 total posts 33 posts
- Edgar Wright's Next Project Revealed! -- 140 total posts 32 posts
- Learn Which Movie Star Just Signed On To HBO’s Jonathan Nolan/Bad Robot Pilot WESTWORLD!! -- 31 total posts 31 posts
- 4th Week of July 2014 PICKS & PEEKS: Werewolves, BLUE RUIN, Nordic Noir, ALL CHEERLEADERS DIE + more! -- 188 total posts 30 posts
- New Trailer Promises the Creepiest HONEYMOON Ever! -- 45 total posts 27 posts
- Meet The GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY - Disney Infinity Style!! -- 26 total posts 26 posts