THE MONUMENTS MEN won't be stealing nuffin' until February 2014!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
The L.A. Times has broke the news that George Clooney's ensemble heist film, THE MONUMENTS MEN, won't be finished in time for its scheduled release on December 18th, and will be pushed to next year. While the move is being attributed to general post-production difficulties, Clooney specifically blames the visual effects. He's quoted as such:
"If any of the effects looked cheesy. The whole movie would look cheesy. We simply don't have enough people to work enough hours to finish it…I looked at Grant (Heslov, his co-writer/producing partner) and said, 'We're dying,'…This is a bigger film than we usually do. It was a mad rush to do it from the very beginning…It wasn't going to be finished, and I wouldn't want to have my name on it. You don't want it to look like a film that was all done in the computer…The good news for us is that we're really happy to buy ourselves a month. I can't tell you how relieved we are."
The film will now be released sometime in February, where the other biggest releases will be ROBOCOP, THE LEGO MOVIE, and POMPEII. If I were in charge, I'd probably put the film out on Feb. 21, against POMPEII; while both are period pics, I'd imagine that their audiences would be mutually exclusive, potentially allowing both films to do well. I don't think this move is going to cost the film any Oscars it might've won/been nominated for, and maybe Clooney's idea that moving his film out of the crowded holiday season will help its grosses is a sound one. This kind of breezy, star-studded pic is commonplace during the tentpole seasons, but less so in the mid-to-late winter months, and I could see families and older couples making the film the reason for their first 2014 venture to the theater.
THE MONUMENTS MEN will now do their art thievery sometime in February 2014.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- 3rd Official X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST trailer hits - and it is a big one!!! -- 40 total posts 30 posts
- ‘A Gift From The Clairvoyant!!’ Patton Oswalt Joins Joss Whedon’s AGENTS OF SHIELD!! Seinfeld On PIONEERS OF TELEVISION!! The Returns Of NEW GIRL, AWKWARD & WIFE SWAP!! The Premiere Of FARGO!! Plus New BOY, STORAGE, SCHUMER, PERSON, TOSH, NCIS, GLEE, FIRE, CONTAINER, MINDY, DUSK, ORIGINALS, SUPERNATURAL & VOICE!! TEEN MOM Finale Special!! DANCE MOMS 100!! HARDCORE PAWN Finale!! Nathan Fillion & Tatiana Maslany on CONAN!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 122 total posts 16 posts
- THE SIGNAL and V/H/S co-director David Bruckner to direct the found footage FRIDAY THE 13TH reboot?! -- 63 total posts 4 posts
- Jaden Smith will dress like a girl to avoid slavery in THE GOOD LORD BIRD! -- 54 total posts 2 posts
- David Fincher wants more money to do his JOBS! -- 167 total posts 2 posts
- Everyone thinks Elizabeth Banks is a hooker in this red-band WALK OF SHAME trailer! -- 27 total posts 1 post
- Leonardo DiCaprio's goin' fur-trapping (grow up, guys) in Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu's THE REVENANT!! -- 26 total posts 1 post
- A New Group Shot Of The EXPENDABLES 3 Cast!! -- 52 total posts 1 post