THE MONUMENTS MEN won't be stealing nuffin' until February 2014!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
The L.A. Times has broke the news that George Clooney's ensemble heist film, THE MONUMENTS MEN, won't be finished in time for its scheduled release on December 18th, and will be pushed to next year. While the move is being attributed to general post-production difficulties, Clooney specifically blames the visual effects. He's quoted as such:
"If any of the effects looked cheesy. The whole movie would look cheesy. We simply don't have enough people to work enough hours to finish it…I looked at Grant (Heslov, his co-writer/producing partner) and said, 'We're dying,'…This is a bigger film than we usually do. It was a mad rush to do it from the very beginning…It wasn't going to be finished, and I wouldn't want to have my name on it. You don't want it to look like a film that was all done in the computer…The good news for us is that we're really happy to buy ourselves a month. I can't tell you how relieved we are."
The film will now be released sometime in February, where the other biggest releases will be ROBOCOP, THE LEGO MOVIE, and POMPEII. If I were in charge, I'd probably put the film out on Feb. 21, against POMPEII; while both are period pics, I'd imagine that their audiences would be mutually exclusive, potentially allowing both films to do well. I don't think this move is going to cost the film any Oscars it might've won/been nominated for, and maybe Clooney's idea that moving his film out of the crowded holiday season will help its grosses is a sound one. This kind of breezy, star-studded pic is commonplace during the tentpole seasons, but less so in the mid-to-late winter months, and I could see families and older couples making the film the reason for their first 2014 venture to the theater.
THE MONUMENTS MEN will now do their art thievery sometime in February 2014.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- First look at footage from Genndy Tartakovsky's POPEYE! -- 129 total posts 29 posts
- Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR gets pushed back nearly two months, and knocks ASSASSIN'S CREED off the calendar! -- 101 total posts 10 posts
- Guy Ritchie brings a mermaid onto land to play his Guinevere in KNIGHTS OF THE ROUNDTABLE: KING ARTHUR! -- 66 total posts 10 posts
- Rejoice! DEADPOOL: THE MOVIE comin' to you in February 2016!! -- 147 total posts 10 posts
- Another New (And Rather Cool) INTERSTELLAR Poster!! -- 200 total posts 5 posts
- Here’s A Video Of STAR WARS EPISODE VII’s Millennium Falcon, Highlighting One Little Detail… -- 416 total posts 5 posts
- This Poster For INSIDIOUS CHAPTER 3 Is Creepy And Requires Reading!! -- 63 total posts 3 posts
- "Welcome to the show!" says the red-band trailer for V/H/S:VIRAL!! -- 31 total posts 3 posts
- Fox, Home Of GOTHAM, Makes Pilot Commitment To Project Based On DC Comics’ LUCIFER!! -- 111 total posts 2 posts
- Muldoon Happily Gets Lost in THE MAZE RUNNER! -- 30 total posts 2 posts