Tim Burton in Talks to Direct BEETLEJUICE Sequel!
Hey guys! Horrorella here...
Tim Burton has been responsible for some films that I have absolutely adored. BEETLEJUICE...BATMAN...PEE-WEE'S BIG ADVENTURE...EDWARD SCISSORHANDS...THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS...ED WOOD...these are all stories that came to define Tim Burton as a storyteller. And that made me love him. Through these films, he built these strange worlds and populated them with even stranger (yet always heart-touching and relatable) characters.
Lately though, Burton has been lost. With CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY, CORPSE BRIDE and ALICE IN WONDERLAND, he feels like a shadow of his former self. Someone simply going through the motions of what he understands a Tim Burton film to be, without putting in any of the heart that made his early films resonate.
I'm hoping that might be about to change. Burton is officially in talks to direct the upcoming sequel to BEETLEJUICE. The news was originally reported by Schmoes Know, and now confirmed by The Wrap.The script is being written by Seth Grahame-Smith and David Katzenberg, and Michael Keaton is expected to reprise the titular role.
BEETLEJUICE was always one of my favorite movies when I was growing up. Just dark and twisted enough to be scary, but still light enough to be fun. It's also my very favorite Michael Keaton performance.
I would love to think that revisiting this character (especially with Michael Keaton on board) is exactly the kick in the ass that Burton needs to begin taking himself and his craft seriously again. Last year's FRANKENWEENIE was a step in the right direction, but we're not there yet. If this sequel is moving forward, I would like nothing better than to see it do so with Burton back behind the wheel.
What do you guys think?
Follow me on Twitter
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- 100 Lucky Ones will see AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 here in Austin on April 30th! -- 91 total posts 91 posts
- ‘I Have Something To Say To The People Of Meereen!!’ The Stormborn Returns For Tonight’s Third GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 126 total posts 49 posts
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 526 total posts 29 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 280 total posts 24 posts
- Papa Vinyard Saw THE HATEFUL EIGHT Script Reading Last Night And Here's His Review! -- 38 total posts 15 posts
- ‘Why Don’t We Just Start Our Own Agency??’ Sunday Brings One Of The 13 Final MAD MENs!! -- 32 total posts 14 posts
- Two Images From Michael Fassbender’s MACBETH Movie!! -- 138 total posts 9 posts
- This Week's Saturday Shorts: Parkour, Compliments, and Getting Pooped on! -- 14 total posts 8 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 336 total posts 7 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 233 total posts 7 posts