John Ary's Aint it Scary Reviews: John Gholson On MAD LOVE (1935)!!
Before we get going with today's movie, I would like to bring to your attention a very important event that happens across the world tomorrow. We'll be celebrating it at Vulcan Video here in Austin and hopefully you have a store close to you also participating in the big event as well. There are several reasons that we need to support independent video stores in our communities: 1) For the deep cuts that you can't find at your local Redbox or streaming on Netflix. Good luck trying pick up the film from today's Ain't It Scary Review from that DVD dispenser outside your local Walgreens with all of the weird grimy fingerprints smudged on the touchscreen. 2) Video stores are to movies what libraries are to books. They keep a record of our culture through the decades while also making these amazing pieces of art available to everyone (as long as you don't have late fees). 3) They take the control away from corporations and what they allow us to watch and put the power back in our own hands as movie-lovers and consumers. If MGM does't want you streaming or purchasing the original Robocop prior to the new version's release next year, stores like Vulcan Video will allow you to borrow their copy for a modest fee legally. To find the shop closest to you participating in International Independent Video Store Day visit the event's website at VideoStoreDay.com.
Onto the show! For today's installment of Ain't It Scary Reviews the astute John Gholson takes us back to 1935 to meet a doctor whose obsession with a beautiful stage actress knows few limitations.
In perhaps one of Peter Lorre's finest performances, he plays an insane surgeon who graphs the hands of a knife throwing murderer onto her concert pianist husband. Much pain and misery ensue...
And now for today's Blu-ray winner. Congrats to Sandy Cotreau for winning a copy of The Town That Dreaded Sundown from Ain't It Cool News and Scream Factory. If you want a chance to win a copy of the new Scanners II: The New Order / Scanners III: The Takeover combo Blu just tweet something about this video series using the hashtag #aintitscaryreviews and follow me on Twitter. I'll pick one tweet at random from over the weekend and announce the winner at the end of Monday's installment. Have a great weekend!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 382 total posts 42 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 39 total posts 39 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 70 total posts 38 posts
- Check Out This Trailer for British Sci-Fi Film THE ANOMALY! -- 21 total posts 21 posts
- Nordling Reviews TRANSCENDENCE! -- 168 total posts 20 posts
- New Images from Richard Linklater's BOYHOOD! -- 15 total posts 9 posts
- The first trailer for Clint Eastwood's JERSEY BOYS is here! -- 84 total posts 8 posts
- Robin Williams May Return As Mrs. Doubtfire! -- 218 total posts 6 posts
- SINISTER 2 Has Found its Director! -- 27 total posts 6 posts
- Denzel Washington Walks In The Middle Of The Street In THE EQUALIZER Teaser Poster! -- 98 total posts 5 posts