John Ary's Aint it Scary Reviews: John Gholson On MAD LOVE (1935)!!
Before we get going with today's movie, I would like to bring to your attention a very important event that happens across the world tomorrow. We'll be celebrating it at Vulcan Video here in Austin and hopefully you have a store close to you also participating in the big event as well. There are several reasons that we need to support independent video stores in our communities: 1) For the deep cuts that you can't find at your local Redbox or streaming on Netflix. Good luck trying pick up the film from today's Ain't It Scary Review from that DVD dispenser outside your local Walgreens with all of the weird grimy fingerprints smudged on the touchscreen. 2) Video stores are to movies what libraries are to books. They keep a record of our culture through the decades while also making these amazing pieces of art available to everyone (as long as you don't have late fees). 3) They take the control away from corporations and what they allow us to watch and put the power back in our own hands as movie-lovers and consumers. If MGM does't want you streaming or purchasing the original Robocop prior to the new version's release next year, stores like Vulcan Video will allow you to borrow their copy for a modest fee legally. To find the shop closest to you participating in International Independent Video Store Day visit the event's website at VideoStoreDay.com.
Onto the show! For today's installment of Ain't It Scary Reviews the astute John Gholson takes us back to 1935 to meet a doctor whose obsession with a beautiful stage actress knows few limitations.
In perhaps one of Peter Lorre's finest performances, he plays an insane surgeon who graphs the hands of a knife throwing murderer onto her concert pianist husband. Much pain and misery ensue...
And now for today's Blu-ray winner. Congrats to Sandy Cotreau for winning a copy of The Town That Dreaded Sundown from Ain't It Cool News and Scream Factory. If you want a chance to win a copy of the new Scanners II: The New Order / Scanners III: The Takeover combo Blu just tweet something about this video series using the hashtag #aintitscaryreviews and follow me on Twitter. I'll pick one tweet at random from over the weekend and announce the winner at the end of Monday's installment. Have a great weekend!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Two New AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON Comic-Con Posters Reveal… -- 290 total posts 290 posts
- UPDATED! Has Marvel's DOCTOR STRANGE Casting Search Gone To Phoenix? -- 172 total posts 172 posts
- SDCC '14: Another snap of Batfleck from BATMAN V SUPERMAN! -- 361 total posts 134 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint talks about the surprisingly good 5-ish minutes of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles shown at the Con! -- 119 total posts 119 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint has seen the new Interstellar trailer! Plus The Rock and Spongebob stuff! -- 118 total posts 118 posts
- Mark Hamill referred to his beard for STAR WARS: EPISODE VII as "contractually-obligated"!! Does that confirm what we've been hearing?? -- 290 total posts 106 posts
- FIFTY SHADES OF GREY Trailer Is Like Daaaaayuuuuuuum! -- 319 total posts 73 posts
- "This is a classic alternate reality situation...like FRINGE!" Get wet with the red-band trailer for HOT TUB TIME MACHINE 2! -- 123 total posts 70 posts
- Footage of discarded concept art, interviews with Tim Burton and Kevin Smith, and Nicolas Cage in flight in this trailer for THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN LIVES! -- 56 total posts 56 posts
- Sam Raimi Producing THE LAST OF US Movie! Maisie Williams In Talk To Play Ellie! -- 50 total posts 50 posts