John Ary's Aint it Scary Reviews: John Gholson On MAD LOVE (1935)!!
Before we get going with today's movie, I would like to bring to your attention a very important event that happens across the world tomorrow. We'll be celebrating it at Vulcan Video here in Austin and hopefully you have a store close to you also participating in the big event as well. There are several reasons that we need to support independent video stores in our communities: 1) For the deep cuts that you can't find at your local Redbox or streaming on Netflix. Good luck trying pick up the film from today's Ain't It Scary Review from that DVD dispenser outside your local Walgreens with all of the weird grimy fingerprints smudged on the touchscreen. 2) Video stores are to movies what libraries are to books. They keep a record of our culture through the decades while also making these amazing pieces of art available to everyone (as long as you don't have late fees). 3) They take the control away from corporations and what they allow us to watch and put the power back in our own hands as movie-lovers and consumers. If MGM does't want you streaming or purchasing the original Robocop prior to the new version's release next year, stores like Vulcan Video will allow you to borrow their copy for a modest fee legally. To find the shop closest to you participating in International Independent Video Store Day visit the event's website at VideoStoreDay.com.
Onto the show! For today's installment of Ain't It Scary Reviews the astute John Gholson takes us back to 1935 to meet a doctor whose obsession with a beautiful stage actress knows few limitations.
In perhaps one of Peter Lorre's finest performances, he plays an insane surgeon who graphs the hands of a knife throwing murderer onto her concert pianist husband. Much pain and misery ensue...
And now for today's Blu-ray winner. Congrats to Sandy Cotreau for winning a copy of The Town That Dreaded Sundown from Ain't It Cool News and Scream Factory. If you want a chance to win a copy of the new Scanners II: The New Order / Scanners III: The Takeover combo Blu just tweet something about this video series using the hashtag #aintitscaryreviews and follow me on Twitter. I'll pick one tweet at random from over the weekend and announce the winner at the end of Monday's installment. Have a great weekend!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 494 total posts 334 posts
- DOCTOR WHO 8.2!! ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Episode And Says He’s Not Sure He Enjoys ‘What The Show Is Becoming’!! -- 242 total posts 201 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 204 total posts 118 posts
- Amazon To Bring Back Patrick Warburton As Ben Edlund’s TICK?? -- 33 total posts 33 posts
- Capone says AS ABOVE/SO BELOW uses a chilling location to terrifying effect!!! -- 53 total posts 27 posts
- The Fellows Behind The Big-Screen JUMP STREET (And THE LEGO MOVIE And CLONE HIGH) Plan To Reboot Another Steven J. Cannell Series: THE GREATEST AMERICAN HERO!! -- 62 total posts 25 posts
- Is this what Doctor Doom looks like in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 307 total posts 25 posts
- Will there be a change of roster in Avengers: Age of Ultron and if so, who's gonna be on it? -- 293 total posts 23 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 339 total posts 20 posts
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of Fox's Batman-Free GOTHAM, Woody’s MAGIC IN THE MOONLIGHT, The Final Season Of BOARDWALK EMPIRE, And The Latest MARVEL, DC, STAR WARS & STAR TREK News!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 16 total posts 16 posts