The Rock to go up against some big-ass earthquakes in SAN ANDREAS!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
Now that GRAVITY and CAPTAIN PHILLIPS have proven that there's a market for intense thrillers that focus on only one or two characters, we're hearing about a similarly-structured project in the works for none other than Dwayne "do you smell what The Rock is cookin'" Johnson. The Hollywood Reporter has announced that Johnson is going to star in SAN ANDREAS for his JOURNEY 2: THE MYSTERIOUS ISLAND director Brad Peyton. Unfortunately, the film has nothing to do with the GTA series (pity.); the project, conceived and produced by Beau Flynn (the JOURNEY films, HANSEL & GRETEL: WITCH HUNTERS), has the former wrestler as a Californian father who's at ground zero when "the big one" (the long-awaited ESCAPE FROM L.A. earthquake that will submerge the Golden State) finally hits, and has to save his daughter from the destruction. Shades of 2012 and VOLCANO on this one…
New Line hopes to get this one going by April, and is eyeballing a release date sometime in 2015. If I were them, I'd be angling to roll this out in March or April, BATTLE: LOS ANGELES-style, giving people some large-scale spectacle before the heavy hitters of that summer (AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON, STAR WARS, JURASSIC WORLD, etc.) clutter up the box-office landscape.
I guess a lot depends on whether Peyton has the disaster-movie chops of Emmerich and Bay, and on the caliber of actor they get to back up Mr. Johnson. If they bring back that '70s-era all-star line-up disaster-movie trend, I know that I (and some of the other AICN staff) would not be too resistant to that resurgence.
SAN ANDREAS faults sometime in 2015.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Will Ferrell and Adam McKay to bring you MANIMAL: THE MOVIE! -- 187 total posts 46 posts
- 4th Week of July 2014 PICKS & PEEKS: Werewolves, BLUE RUIN, Nordic Noir, ALL CHEERLEADERS DIE + more! -- 183 total posts 25 posts
- Edgar Wright's Next Project Revealed! -- 133 total posts 25 posts
- "I would never order an alcoholic beverage on the bridge..." Trailer for SPACE STATION 76 has its heart firmly in place and its tongue firmly in cheek! -- 72 total posts 23 posts
- New Trailer Promises the Creepiest HONEYMOON Ever! -- 36 total posts 18 posts
- JJ Abrams reveals a rusted out, beat up awesome looking X-Wing in new video! -- 555 total posts 15 posts
- A New & Full Length Trailer For Disney XD’s STAR WARS REBELS!! -- 67 total posts 15 posts
- Idris Elba to play one of Guy Ritchie's KNIGHTS OF THE ROUNDTABLE! -- 342 total posts 15 posts
- Learn Which Movie Star Just Signed On To HBO’s Jonathan Nolan/Bad Robot Pilot WESTWORLD!! -- 13 total posts 13 posts
- INSIDIOUS: CHAPTER 3 is actually a prequel, plus details on how you could win a trip to visit the set!! -- 24 total posts 10 posts