Charlie Hunnam won't be spanking Dakota Johnson in FIFTY SHADES OF GREY!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
A month before shooting commences on their adaptation of E.L. James' FIFTY SHADES OF GREY, and Universal has lost their leading man. Charlie Hunnam has officially dropped out of the sexually-charged Sam Taylor-Johnson drama, allegedly due to scheduling disputes regarding his FX show, SONS OF ANARCHY. Universal blames "Hunnam's immersive TV schedule which is not allowing him time to adequately prepare for the role of Christian Grey." But wouldn't they have figured that stuff out already by now?
Mike Fleming over at Deadline hypothesizes that the real reason may have more to do with the controversial material than any late-in-the-game scheduling snafus. I mean, the guy's an up-and-comer, and has been for several years, but there's no doubt that once this movie came out with him in it, his face would immediately conjure up images of S&M gear and angsty movie sex for years to come. Makes some sense he'd want to dodge that bullet before the publicity onslaught surrounding the production kicked into high gear. I don't think if you asked Bruce Willis or Mickey Rourke what films they were proudest of from the early-'90s that COLOR OF NIGHT or WILD ORCHID would enter the conversation. I mean, a legion of fanboys are already on his side after UNDECLARED, SOA, and PACIFIC RIM; does he really need to risk sullying that image for this nudity-heavy, trashy property?
The list of contenders for the role of Christian Grey was fairly extensive, so this doesn't put the production in jeopardy or anything. I'm sure whoever they get to replace Hunnam will fill their requirements in terms of talent and looks anyway, just maybe with a slightly lesser star profile. Not like I care. I didn't read the books.
What do fans of the series (if any read this site) think about Hunnam dropping out, and who is likely to replace him?
FIFTY SHADES OF GREY taps that ass…hard on August 1, 2014.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- So The MAN OF STEEL Sequel Has (At Least) A Third Superhero In It... -- 618 total posts 77 posts
- Joe Dante's Making A New Movie Called BURYING THE EX And You Can Be A Part Of It! -- 33 total posts 28 posts
- Beatles' manager Brian Epstein to get his own flick, entitled THE FIFTH BEATLE! -- 44 total posts 17 posts
- More Angry Volcano Action in this New Trailer for Pompeii! -- 62 total posts 17 posts
- WARCRAFT is getting its cast together! Adds Ben Foster, Dominic Cooper, Toby Kebbell, and more! -- 56 total posts 13 posts
- Fan Of The 2010 Paul Bettany Angry Angel Movie LEGION?? Syfy Just Ordered To Series The TV Version!! -- 15 total posts 11 posts
- More pics of zombied-out Aubrey Plaza in LIFE AFTER BETH! -- 45 total posts 10 posts
- Rinko Kikuchi looks for the buried loot from FARGO in KUMIKO, THE TREASURE HUNTER (based on a true story)! -- 21 total posts 8 posts
- Earlier Versions Of THE DARK CRYSTAL...Probably Felt A Lot Like This!! -- 107 total posts 6 posts
- SNL Christmas!! Titties And Dragons On SOUTH PARK!! Tyson Entrée On Antepenultimate SURVIVOR!! HOARDING Finale!! New BURNING LOVE, GIRL CODE, MODERN, MIDDLE, AHS, X, SOUP, PICKERS!! Herc’s Wednesday TV Talkback!! -- 36 total posts 5 posts