Charlie Hunnam won't be spanking Dakota Johnson in FIFTY SHADES OF GREY!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
A month before shooting commences on their adaptation of E.L. James' FIFTY SHADES OF GREY, and Universal has lost their leading man. Charlie Hunnam has officially dropped out of the sexually-charged Sam Taylor-Johnson drama, allegedly due to scheduling disputes regarding his FX show, SONS OF ANARCHY. Universal blames "Hunnam's immersive TV schedule which is not allowing him time to adequately prepare for the role of Christian Grey." But wouldn't they have figured that stuff out already by now?
Mike Fleming over at Deadline hypothesizes that the real reason may have more to do with the controversial material than any late-in-the-game scheduling snafus. I mean, the guy's an up-and-comer, and has been for several years, but there's no doubt that once this movie came out with him in it, his face would immediately conjure up images of S&M gear and angsty movie sex for years to come. Makes some sense he'd want to dodge that bullet before the publicity onslaught surrounding the production kicked into high gear. I don't think if you asked Bruce Willis or Mickey Rourke what films they were proudest of from the early-'90s that COLOR OF NIGHT or WILD ORCHID would enter the conversation. I mean, a legion of fanboys are already on his side after UNDECLARED, SOA, and PACIFIC RIM; does he really need to risk sullying that image for this nudity-heavy, trashy property?
The list of contenders for the role of Christian Grey was fairly extensive, so this doesn't put the production in jeopardy or anything. I'm sure whoever they get to replace Hunnam will fill their requirements in terms of talent and looks anyway, just maybe with a slightly lesser star profile. Not like I care. I didn't read the books.
What do fans of the series (if any read this site) think about Hunnam dropping out, and who is likely to replace him?
FIFTY SHADES OF GREY taps that ass…hard on August 1, 2014.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Chats Up BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER / ED WOOD Icon (And Hollywood Royalty) Juliet Landau!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 10pm PT / Sunday 1am ET!! -- 63 total posts 38 posts
- Darker ZORRO Reboot Finds its Writer! -- 257 total posts 4 posts
- Fox Renews For Next Season THE MINDY PROJECT, THE FOLLOWING, BROOKLYN NINE-NINE And NEW GIRL!! -- 58 total posts 4 posts
- Harry shares Day 1 of SXSW which stars Jon Favreau's utterly delicious CHEF!!! -- 132 total posts 3 posts
- Learn What Happens Next On HBO’s GAME OF THRONES!! -- 140 total posts 2 posts
- Quint eats up Jon Favreau's CHEF, opening night flick of SXSW 2014! -- 30 total posts 1 post
- Capone says SON OF GOD isn't even the greatest version of this story ever told!!! -- 348 total posts 1 post
- Lena Dunham Hosts SNL!! Sagan COSMOS Marathon On NGC!! New UNIVERSE, OUTRAGEOUS ACTS OF SCIENCE & BLACK SAILS!! SWAMP PAWN, RAISING WHITLEY, SCORNED, COPS & CRAZY HEARTS Finales!! Hallmark’s A RING BY SPRING!! Lifetime’s A TRIP TO BOUNTIFUL!! Herc’s Saturday TV Talkback!! -- 25 total posts 1 post