NBC To Blast Contestant Past Troposphere For Mark Burnett Reality Series SPACE RACE!!
NBC and producer Mark Burnett (“The Voice,” “Survivor,” “The Bible”) are going forward with “Space Race,” a reality series that will see contestant vie for a trip into Earth orbit via Richard Branson’s Virgin Galactic SpaceShipTwo.
If this sounds familiar, more than a decade ago Burnett and NBC tried twice to launch similar series – “Destination: Mir” and “Destination: Space” – in cooperation with the Russian space program, but both projects were scrapped before casting began.
Contestants for “Space Race” will compete at Virgin’s Spaceport America, situated near Southern New Mexico’s White Sands missile range.
Look! Press release!
NBC ANNOUNCES EXCLUSIVE SERIES WITH SIR RICHARD BRANSON'S VIRGIN GALACTIC AND MARK BURNETT'S ONE THREE MEDIA
BURNETT'S GROUNDBREAKING ADVENTURE COMPETITION "SPACE RACE" TO GIVE THE WINNING EVERYDAY PERSON A TICKET TO SPACE
UNIVERSAL CITY, CA - Oct. 3, 2013 - NBC today announced an exclusive deal with Sir Richard Branson's Virgin Galactic, the world's first commercial spaceline, and Mark Burnett's One Three Media to create the spectacular unscripted series, "Space Race." "Space Race" is a groundbreaking, elimination competition series where everyday people compete for the ultimate prize - a trip for the winner into space on Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo for a life-changing experience few people have ever enjoyed, all captured on camera. "Space Race" will have unprecedented access to Virgin Galactic's home in the state-of-the-art Spaceport America in New Mexico, the departure point and training and preparation center for space flights.
"The scope of this endeavor is so staggering, that it took these two titans to even imagine it," said Paul Telegdy, President of Alternative and Late Night Programming, NBC Entertainment. "The term 'trip of a lifetime' has for once been delivered on! This will be a remarkable experience for anyone who has looked at the night's sky and dared to dream of Space Flight."
Sir Richard said, "Virgin Galactic's mission is to democratize space, eventually making commercial space travel affordable and accessible to all. 'Space Race' allows us to extend this opportunity of a lifetime to as many people as possible right at the start of our commercial service - through direct experience and television viewing. All of us at Virgin Galactic and our partner aabar Investments are delighted to be collaborating with NBC and Mark, who is a true pioneer and creative force in television programming."
"For the past ten years I have relentlessly pursued my dream of using a TV show to give an everyday person the chance to experience the black sky of space and look down upon mother Earth," said executive producer Mark Burnett. "Last year I spent time in New Mexico at the state of the art facility and last week spent time in the Mojave desert with Sir Richard and his impressive team. We got to see the spaceship up close and hear of Sir Richard's incredible vision of how Virgin Galactic is the future of private space travel. I am thrilled to be part of a series that will give the everyday person a chance to see space and that NBC has come on board too so that viewers at home will have a first class seat."
One Three Media will be distributing 'Space Race' at the upcoming MIPCOM TV market in Cannes.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of The First Jack Bauer 24 Adventure Since 2010!! Plus GAME OF THRONES, MAD MEN, HANNIBAL, AGENTS OF SHIELD, And More!! And The Return Of FX MOVIE DOWNLOAD Star Sasha Perl-Raver!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 296 total posts 146 posts
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 300 total posts 19 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 577 total posts 11 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 229 total posts 9 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 254 total posts 8 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 198 total posts 5 posts
- MTV Movie Awards drops an opening scene from X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST! And it rocks! -- 317 total posts 4 posts
- Two Images From Michael Fassbender’s MACBETH Movie!! -- 119 total posts 4 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 194 total posts 4 posts
- ‘I Have Something To Say To The People Of Meereen!!’ The Stormborn Returns For Tonight’s Third GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 3 total posts 3 posts