NBC To Blast Contestant Past Troposphere For Mark Burnett Reality Series SPACE RACE!!
NBC and producer Mark Burnett (“The Voice,” “Survivor,” “The Bible”) are going forward with “Space Race,” a reality series that will see contestant vie for a trip into Earth orbit via Richard Branson’s Virgin Galactic SpaceShipTwo.
If this sounds familiar, more than a decade ago Burnett and NBC tried twice to launch similar series – “Destination: Mir” and “Destination: Space” – in cooperation with the Russian space program, but both projects were scrapped before casting began.
Contestants for “Space Race” will compete at Virgin’s Spaceport America, situated near Southern New Mexico’s White Sands missile range.
Look! Press release!
NBC ANNOUNCES EXCLUSIVE SERIES WITH SIR RICHARD BRANSON'S VIRGIN GALACTIC AND MARK BURNETT'S ONE THREE MEDIA
BURNETT'S GROUNDBREAKING ADVENTURE COMPETITION "SPACE RACE" TO GIVE THE WINNING EVERYDAY PERSON A TICKET TO SPACE
UNIVERSAL CITY, CA - Oct. 3, 2013 - NBC today announced an exclusive deal with Sir Richard Branson's Virgin Galactic, the world's first commercial spaceline, and Mark Burnett's One Three Media to create the spectacular unscripted series, "Space Race." "Space Race" is a groundbreaking, elimination competition series where everyday people compete for the ultimate prize - a trip for the winner into space on Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo for a life-changing experience few people have ever enjoyed, all captured on camera. "Space Race" will have unprecedented access to Virgin Galactic's home in the state-of-the-art Spaceport America in New Mexico, the departure point and training and preparation center for space flights.
"The scope of this endeavor is so staggering, that it took these two titans to even imagine it," said Paul Telegdy, President of Alternative and Late Night Programming, NBC Entertainment. "The term 'trip of a lifetime' has for once been delivered on! This will be a remarkable experience for anyone who has looked at the night's sky and dared to dream of Space Flight."
Sir Richard said, "Virgin Galactic's mission is to democratize space, eventually making commercial space travel affordable and accessible to all. 'Space Race' allows us to extend this opportunity of a lifetime to as many people as possible right at the start of our commercial service - through direct experience and television viewing. All of us at Virgin Galactic and our partner aabar Investments are delighted to be collaborating with NBC and Mark, who is a true pioneer and creative force in television programming."
"For the past ten years I have relentlessly pursued my dream of using a TV show to give an everyday person the chance to experience the black sky of space and look down upon mother Earth," said executive producer Mark Burnett. "Last year I spent time in New Mexico at the state of the art facility and last week spent time in the Mojave desert with Sir Richard and his impressive team. We got to see the spaceship up close and hear of Sir Richard's incredible vision of how Virgin Galactic is the future of private space travel. I am thrilled to be part of a series that will give the everyday person a chance to see space and that NBC has come on board too so that viewers at home will have a first class seat."
One Three Media will be distributing 'Space Race' at the upcoming MIPCOM TV market in Cannes.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Two New AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON Comic-Con Posters Reveal… -- 290 total posts 290 posts
- UPDATED! Has Marvel's DOCTOR STRANGE Casting Search Gone To Phoenix? -- 172 total posts 172 posts
- SDCC '14: Another snap of Batfleck from BATMAN V SUPERMAN! -- 361 total posts 134 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint talks about the surprisingly good 5-ish minutes of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles shown at the Con! -- 119 total posts 119 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint has seen the new Interstellar trailer! Plus The Rock and Spongebob stuff! -- 118 total posts 118 posts
- Mark Hamill referred to his beard for STAR WARS: EPISODE VII as "contractually-obligated"!! Does that confirm what we've been hearing?? -- 290 total posts 106 posts
- FIFTY SHADES OF GREY Trailer Is Like Daaaaayuuuuuuum! -- 319 total posts 73 posts
- "This is a classic alternate reality situation...like FRINGE!" Get wet with the red-band trailer for HOT TUB TIME MACHINE 2! -- 123 total posts 70 posts
- Footage of discarded concept art, interviews with Tim Burton and Kevin Smith, and Nicolas Cage in flight in this trailer for THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN LIVES! -- 56 total posts 56 posts
- Sam Raimi Producing THE LAST OF US Movie! Maisie Williams In Talk To Play Ellie! -- 50 total posts 50 posts