NBC To Blast Contestant Past Troposphere For Mark Burnett Reality Series SPACE RACE!!
NBC and producer Mark Burnett (“The Voice,” “Survivor,” “The Bible”) are going forward with “Space Race,” a reality series that will see contestant vie for a trip into Earth orbit via Richard Branson’s Virgin Galactic SpaceShipTwo.
If this sounds familiar, more than a decade ago Burnett and NBC tried twice to launch similar series – “Destination: Mir” and “Destination: Space” – in cooperation with the Russian space program, but both projects were scrapped before casting began.
Contestants for “Space Race” will compete at Virgin’s Spaceport America, situated near Southern New Mexico’s White Sands missile range.
Look! Press release!
NBC ANNOUNCES EXCLUSIVE SERIES WITH SIR RICHARD BRANSON'S VIRGIN GALACTIC AND MARK BURNETT'S ONE THREE MEDIA
BURNETT'S GROUNDBREAKING ADVENTURE COMPETITION "SPACE RACE" TO GIVE THE WINNING EVERYDAY PERSON A TICKET TO SPACE
UNIVERSAL CITY, CA - Oct. 3, 2013 - NBC today announced an exclusive deal with Sir Richard Branson's Virgin Galactic, the world's first commercial spaceline, and Mark Burnett's One Three Media to create the spectacular unscripted series, "Space Race." "Space Race" is a groundbreaking, elimination competition series where everyday people compete for the ultimate prize - a trip for the winner into space on Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo for a life-changing experience few people have ever enjoyed, all captured on camera. "Space Race" will have unprecedented access to Virgin Galactic's home in the state-of-the-art Spaceport America in New Mexico, the departure point and training and preparation center for space flights.
"The scope of this endeavor is so staggering, that it took these two titans to even imagine it," said Paul Telegdy, President of Alternative and Late Night Programming, NBC Entertainment. "The term 'trip of a lifetime' has for once been delivered on! This will be a remarkable experience for anyone who has looked at the night's sky and dared to dream of Space Flight."
Sir Richard said, "Virgin Galactic's mission is to democratize space, eventually making commercial space travel affordable and accessible to all. 'Space Race' allows us to extend this opportunity of a lifetime to as many people as possible right at the start of our commercial service - through direct experience and television viewing. All of us at Virgin Galactic and our partner aabar Investments are delighted to be collaborating with NBC and Mark, who is a true pioneer and creative force in television programming."
"For the past ten years I have relentlessly pursued my dream of using a TV show to give an everyday person the chance to experience the black sky of space and look down upon mother Earth," said executive producer Mark Burnett. "Last year I spent time in New Mexico at the state of the art facility and last week spent time in the Mojave desert with Sir Richard and his impressive team. We got to see the spaceship up close and hear of Sir Richard's incredible vision of how Virgin Galactic is the future of private space travel. I am thrilled to be part of a series that will give the everyday person a chance to see space and that NBC has come on board too so that viewers at home will have a first class seat."
One Three Media will be distributing 'Space Race' at the upcoming MIPCOM TV market in Cannes.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- 3rd PICKS & PEEKS of Sept 2014: Crichton Blus, THE PARTY, Bloody Entertainment, GODZILLA 3D & More!!! -- 113 total posts 113 posts
- Check out this MASSIVE new HOBBIT: BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES banner!! -- 243 total posts 88 posts
- Hold off, Aaron Cross: Matt Damon's back as Jason Bourne! -- 176 total posts 61 posts
- A New Poster For Christopher Nolan’s INTERSTELLAR!! -- 49 total posts 49 posts
- Behold The Cool(ish) IMAX Poster For DRACULA UNTOLD!! -- 40 total posts 40 posts
- SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE Hires 20-Year-Old Cast Member!! -- 68 total posts 37 posts
- Here come a remake that will really make you feel old - Sony is fast tracking a remake to I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER! -- 120 total posts 36 posts
- 2nd Sept 2014 PICKS & PEEKS Column: CAP 2, Pumpkinhead, Toho, Addams, Star Trek, Slashers, Comedy & Action+ -- 1780 total posts 27 posts
- Copernicus is really pissed about the Stephen Hawking biopic THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING that he saw at TIFF -- 133 total posts 23 posts
- Looks like they got the right Mann to play Audrey Griswald in the VACATION update! -- 104 total posts 22 posts