Won't You Be My Neighbor? LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE Directors to Helm Film About Mister Rogers!
Hey guys! Horrorella here...
The Wrap is reporting that Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Faris (LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE, RUBY SPARKS) have found their next project. They will be directing an adaptation of Tim Madigan’s memoir I’m Proud of You, which is being scripted by Micah Fitzerman-Blue and Noah Harpster.
Madigan's memoir details the friendship that he developed with children's television host Fred Rogers that began when he was assigned a newspaper profile on Rogers in 1995. The two developed an ongoing friendship that lasted until Rogers' death in 2003, and carried Madigan through some turbulent times in his own life.
Mister Rogers was a huge part of my early childhood, and while his puppets always sort of creeped me out, I do like hearing that the man was just as kind and friendly as he appeared on tv.
Here is the book synopsis from Publishers Weekly, via Amazon:
Fred Rogers, the "gentle icon" of public television's Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, taught generations of children and their parents how to express feelings and relate to others in a positive way. Rogers was also an ordained Presbyterian minister who regularly studied the important spiritual thinkers and shared his faith with an eclectic range of adult friends. Madigan, a journalist with the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, became one of those friends after writing a piece on Rogers and Captain Kangaroo (Bob Keeshan) in 1995. Soon Madigan and Rogers were corresponding, and Madigan reprints here many of their letters and e-mails. They built a warm, supportive friendship, one that nourished Madigan through his self-doubt "Furies" and the difficult death of his dear brother. As Rogers grieved for Madigan's losses and several of his own, the two taught each other about the beauty of giving and receiving "unconditional regard" from a beloved friend. So close did they become that readers may share Madigan's shock at discovering that Rogers was gravely ill—too weak for a last visit before his death in 2003. Even if readers don't feel their day-to-day lives transformed by this luminous memoir, in times of grief or of loss they'll know which book on their shelf to turn to.
Follow me on Twitter
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- 1st wk of Sept 2014's PICKS & PEEKS with Universal Monsters, FIRESTARTER, Eco-Terrorism, swords & fantasy! -- 166 total posts 162 posts
- A Badass GAME OF THRONES Sword Guy Has Apparently Been Cast In STAR WARS EPISODE VII!! -- 84 total posts 84 posts
- See Luke Evans' Kinect Bats In This New DRACULA UNTOLD Trailer!! -- 41 total posts 41 posts
- BBC Issues DOCTOR WHO: ‘Robot of Sherwood’ Promo Images!! + DOCTOR WHO EXTRAs For ‘Deep Breath’ And ‘Into the Dalek’ Are Now On YouTube!! -- 35 total posts 35 posts
- This New Trailer For MONSTERS: DARK CONTINENT Is Looking Promising!! -- 34 total posts 34 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 431 total posts 18 posts
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 730 total posts 16 posts
- AICN COMICS PODCAST reviews GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY! WAYWARD! SUNDOWNERS! & More! -- 16 total posts 16 posts
- The DRUNK HISTORY Finale!! HOUDINI Finale!! ROYAL PAINS Finale!! RIZZOLI & ISLES Finale!! HARD KNOCKS Finale!! New TALENT, CARTER, GEAR, LITTLE, LIARS, MATADOR, WIZARD!! The Chenbot On LETTERMAN!! Brienne Of Tarth On CRAIG!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 15 total posts 15 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 385 total posts 13 posts