Live in Chicago? Capone has seats for an early screening of the great new horror film WE ARE WHAT WE ARE, with director Jim Mickle Q&A!!!
Hey everyone. Capone in Chicago here.
In a year when we have seen a resurgence of well-written, well-acted and well-executed horror offerings, it's good to know the the trend continues even as awards season begins to ramp up. One of the best-received films (horror of otherwise) at this year's Sundance Film Festival was the eerie, atmospheric and sometimes-unthinkable WE ARE WHAT WE ARE, director Jim Mickle's remake of the 2010 Mexican production of the same name.
For those familiar with the original film, rest assured Mickle (STAKE LAND, MULBERRY STREET) has made significant changes to the story, beginning with its setting, moving it from a dense city environment to a sprawling smalltown surrounded by forrest. Like Mickle's other features, WE ARE WHAT WE ARE is co-written by him and Nick Damici, who also acts in the film.
The story involves the Parkers, an isolated, religious family with a set of customs and rituals that is unique to just their long heritage. When the mother dies under mysterious circumstances, the father (a terrifying Bill Sage) and two daughers (Ambyr Childers and Julia Garner, who just won a Best Actress in a Horror Feature award at Fantastic Fest for this role) must continue their traditions and protect the youngest child, Rory (Jack Gore), from certain aspects of their religious practice. The film also features a great performance from the legendary Michael Parks, playing the town doctor who begins to suspect things about the Parkers and their unspeakable practices. It's a remarkable film that couches these awful events in a moody, picturesque environment. And I've got seats for the Chicago advance screening of WE ARE WHAT WE ARE. Here are the details…
The screening will take place Tuesday, October 1 at 7:00pm at a theater in downtown Chicago (the exact location will only be given to the winners). As an added bonus, director Jim Mickle will do a post-screening Q&A with us.
To win, send me an email at WeAreChicago@aintitcoolmail.com (please note the new email address) with the subject line "Would You Like Some Stew?" (exactly like that). In the body of the email, I need your full Name, whether or not you're bringing a Guest (each winner may bring ONE confirmed guest--if I think you gave your +1 to someone trolling for free tickets at the theater, you won't get in), and the answer to the following question: "What your favorite horror movie with a family at the center, and why?" I need a film title and a detailed reason for your choice. Keep your responses BRIEF--no more than 75 words (no matter how tempted you are to go over the limit). Best answers (as judged by me) win, and you'll hear from me soon if you won, so check your email over the weekend!
Although this is not an exclusive Ain't It Cool News event winners seats will be reserved until 15 minutes before showtime (meaning 6:45 pm). The venue is deliberately overbooked to guarantee a full house for our guest. If you can't arrive by 6:45 pm, don't enter this contest. If there's even the slightest chance you or your guest will have to back out of attending or arrive late if you do win, don't enter. If you have a job that might make you late or unable to attend, or an ill/pregnant relative, or a temperamental significant other, or a scratchy throat, do not enter. And the 24-hour-notice-to-cancel rule is done. If you win and don't show up, the Black List is your new best friend.
Good luck, everyone! And thanks to the Entertainment One for giving us this very cool screening and bringing Jim Mickle to Chicago.
-- Steve Prokopy
Follow Me On Twitter
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Chats Up BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER / ED WOOD Icon (And Hollywood Royalty) Juliet Landau!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 10pm PT / Sunday 1am ET!! -- 356 total posts 329 posts
- ‘He’s Worse Than Anybody!!’ Sunday Brings HBO’s Season Finale Of TRUE DETECTIVE!! -- 43 total posts 43 posts
- Harry shares Day 1 of SXSW which stars Jon Favreau's utterly delicious CHEF!!! -- 160 total posts 31 posts
- ‘We Got Six Bullets!!’ Sunday Brings WALKING DEAD 4.13!! -- 26 total posts 26 posts
- Hercules Says RESURRECTION Is Easily The Best Broadcast Pilot Of The 2013-14 Season And ABC’s Best Pilot In Years!! -- 15 total posts 15 posts
- Darker ZORRO Reboot Finds its Writer! -- 267 total posts 14 posts
- Fox Renews For Next Season THE MINDY PROJECT, THE FOLLOWING, BROOKLYN NINE-NINE And NEW GIRL!! -- 66 total posts 12 posts
- Quint eats up Jon Favreau's CHEF, opening night flick of SXSW 2014! -- 39 total posts 11 posts
- TERMINATOR: GENESIS to be a sequel, reboot, and prequel all at the same time!?! -- 462 total posts 8 posts
- Nordling Reviews THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL! -- 111 total posts 8 posts