Annette Kellerman From Fantastic Fest 2013: COHERENCE!!
I just love movies that play with the whole time/space continuum theme. PRIMER, LOOPER, and TIME CRIMES are definitely at the top of my list, and though it's not exactly a time travel movie, its dimension jumping premise has earned COHERENCE its place among these mind benders.
The film begins with a group of old friends converging at one of their homes for a dinner party. Among the various topics of dinner conversation is the news of a comet that is passing over the earth that night.
According to celestial lore, one of the last times a comet passed this close to our planet, strange and unexplained events occurred throughout the world. Aside from the usual eerie phenomena, there were people claiming that their loved ones were not really themselves or had even been replaced with dopplegangers. Though most of the group dismiss the spooky stories as nothing more than tall tales, it is impossible for them to ignore the fact that none of them have a cell signal some of their phones screens are spontaneously shattering for no apparent reason. When the electricity in the house goes out, two fellas from party decide to go investigate the house a couple blocks down that is still lit up like Christmas. What they report upon their frantic return kicks off a series of confusing events that eventually conclude in one hell of an amazing mind warp.
The brilliant part of COHERENCE is its simplicity, which is a crazy thing to say about a story that becomes so increasingly complex. It takes place in one location, uses a cosmic event rather than a machine to facilitate dimension jumping, and it features a cast of actors that are mainly improvising throughout. What is not simple about the film is the genius way that it keeps the audience guessing and questioning right up until the conclusion.
COHERENCE is a terrific addition the the time/space canon of films. Writer/director James Wars Byrkit takes some of the basic themes we are already accustomed to and puts a wholly unique and fun stamp on the genre. The low budget look of the film actually helps to create a feel of intimacy in some parts while elevating the suspense in others.
COHERENCE is definitely a film that is meant to be watched more than once, and I can't wait to get my next chance!
- Annette Kellerman
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Big SPOILERS for X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST and APOCALYPSE as new rumors suggest a familiar face will be playing the role of APOCALYPSE!! -- 272 total posts 137 posts
- Disney can now make new Indiana Jones Movies!!! But what about Paramount? -- 305 total posts 114 posts
- Jerry Bruckheimer has returned to Paramount and Brett Ratner's BEVERLY HILLS COP IV is now on the way (again)! -- 144 total posts 58 posts
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS, OUT OF THE FURNACE, FROZEN, Tomorrow’s HOMELAND, The Latest WALKING DEAD And RETURNED, The First Big-Screen Wonder Woman and More!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 10pm PT / Sunday 1am ET!! -- 53 total posts 53 posts
- The Annual Official Fake BUTT-NUMB-A-THON 15 List!!! Plus other things like STANDBY news! -- 45 total posts 45 posts
- SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES Writers Developing New TERMINATOR TV Series!! -- 65 total posts 28 posts
- Fox To Dabble In Shared X-MEN / FF Movieverse!?!? -- 183 total posts 17 posts
LOW WINTER SUN
2013-2013 -- 20 total posts 13 posts
- The Friday Docback Rounds Up This Week's DOCTOR WHO News!! 50th Celebration, 'Time of the Doctor,' HornOrSilk Reviews 'The Assassination Games' Big Finish Audio, And More!! -- 36 total posts 12 posts
- Two More NYMPHOMANIAC Posters... -- 76 total posts 9 posts