How Involved Will Joss Whedon Be In AGENTS OF SHIELD?? Involved Enough to Scuttle Whedon’s HAMLET And DR. HORRIBLE 2 Projects, It Seems!! Plus!! Learn What Whedon Hated About THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK & THE TEMPLE OF DOOM!!
Joss Whedon co-wrote and directed the “Agents of SHIELD” pilot, but will the “Avengers 2” writer-director be involved in the ongoing series as much as he was in “Buffy The Vampire Slayer” and “Firefly”?
Or will Whedon just wander off into other projects and let his brother Jed and sister-in-law Maurissa (and/or former “Angel” showrunner Jeffrey Bell, who is also writing and producing "SHIELD") look after the new TV franchise?
Well, it sounds like Whedon is enjoying ABC’s “Agents of SHIELD” so much that it’s killing – or at least delaying – plans for both a “Dr. Horrible” sequel and Whedon’s long-planned adaptation of “Hamlet.”
Entertainment Weekly just posted online an extra-long version of its already lengthy recent print interview with Whedon, and here are two relevant passages:
EW: Will you follow up Avengers 2 with your version of Hamlet, which you’ve been working on for 15 years? I’ve heard it’s dark and controversial.
WHEDON: That’s a giant endeavor, and I’m not planning any giant endeavors. I feel like some of the family stuff in [Hamlet] is even more twisted than we give it credit for. [My version] is no darker than any other vision, in certain respects. If everything works out according to plan, S.H.I.E.L.D. will be on when the movie is over and then I’ll already be too busy.
EW: S.H.I.E.L.D. is taking the Dr. Horrible sequel spot—what would that have been like?
WHEDON: It would be [Dr. Horrible’s] evolution, where he is now. What it was like for him on the bottom, what it’s like for him on the top. We got a bunch of stuff written, and God knows the actors are willing. But I stupidly decided to make a TV show.
There’s quite a bit more of interest in the EW interview. Whedon talks about:
* the big changes he has in store for “Avengers 2”;
* why the “Avengers 2” script is 150 pages long;
* what he hated about “The Empire Strikes Back” and “The Temple of Doom”;
* whether he’d turn down directing the Boba Fett movie;
* what he thinks might be amiss with “Twilight” and “Vampire Diaries”;
* his struggle with News Corp. chairman Peter Chernin’s likely influence on Fox’s “Dollhouse”; and
* why Whedon has no hope for the survival of the human race! Find all of EW’s lengthy chat with Whedon here.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Big SPOILERS for X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST and APOCALYPSE as new rumors suggest a familiar face will be playing the role of APOCALYPSE!! -- 317 total posts 182 posts
- Disney can now make new Indiana Jones Movies!!! But what about Paramount? -- 346 total posts 155 posts
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS, OUT OF THE FURNACE, FROZEN, Tomorrow’s HOMELAND, The Latest WALKING DEAD And RETURNED, The First Big-Screen Wonder Woman and More!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 10pm PT / Sunday 1am ET!! -- 90 total posts 90 posts
- The Annual Official Fake BUTT-NUMB-A-THON 15 List!!! Plus other things like STANDBY news! -- 76 total posts 76 posts
- Jerry Bruckheimer has returned to Paramount and Brett Ratner's BEVERLY HILLS COP IV is now on the way (again)! -- 161 total posts 75 posts
- SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES Writers Developing New TERMINATOR TV Series!! -- 75 total posts 38 posts
- Fox To Dabble In Shared X-MEN / FF Movieverse!?!? -- 187 total posts 21 posts
- The Friday Docback Rounds Up This Week's DOCTOR WHO News!! 50th Celebration, 'Time of the Doctor,' HornOrSilk Reviews 'The Assassination Games' Big Finish Audio, And More!! -- 44 total posts 20 posts
LOW WINTER SUN
2013-2013 -- 24 total posts 17 posts
- Two More NYMPHOMANIAC Posters... -- 79 total posts 12 posts