David S. Goyer Discusses Superman And Killing...
*** MAN OF STEEL SPOILERS THROUGHOUT ***
David S. Goyer recently spoke to Digital Spy about that controversial MAN OF STEEL sequence in which Superman snaps Zod’s neck.
In the context of the film, such a move was explicable given Zod & Co’s determination to fuck up the Earth and eat Kal-El for breakfast. My issue...personally...isn’t that Superman killes Zod (which I concede is shocking) - it’s the recklessness with with which the whole smackdown was conducted beforehand. Yes, Zod and his posse were the instigators and the rowdy ones - but where I feel the film wobbles is that Superman makes no effort to draw the fight away from public arenas. That felt...dubious...to me morally...not entirely virtuous. One could easily argue that the original SUPERMAN II suffers the same symptoms - and one would be right, to an extent. But, at least in that film, Superman pleads with Zod via lines like “Don’t do it, they’re people!” (sorry if that quote isn’t exact)...which at least acknowledges some awareness of the dangers of collateral damage and the possibility of causalities being wrecked upon an innocent populous.
Anyway, the worthiness of MAN OF STEEL’s enormous and protracted finale has proven highly divisive amongst fans, and will continue to do so for some time, I suspect. And, I’m not sure these comments from MoS scripter Goyer is going to do much to stem the unrest. Although, the concept of the action resonating into later films - I think is a good one. If there's a growth and maturity and understanding prompted - if a weight of responsibility arrises - from the happenings of the first film? Then team Snyder may be onto something. If their Superman just happens to remain thoughtless and destructive as the series progresses? Well, that that's a different story altogether.
Here are a few abridged snippets of his comments - be sure to check out the whole shebang HERE at DigitalSpy.
Goyer, however, stated that the Man of Steel's moral code "exists outside of the narrative and I just don't believe in rules like that".
"This is one area, and I've written comic books as well and this is where I disagree with some of my fellow comic book writers - 'Superman doesn't kill'. It's a rule that exists outside of the narrative and I just don't believe in rules like that. I believe when you're writing film or television, you can't rely on a crutch or rule that exists outside of the narrative of the film."
"Also our movie was in a way Superman Begins, he's not really Superman until the end of the film. We wanted him to have had that experience of having taken a life and carry that through onto the next films. Because he's Superman and because people idolise him he will have to hold himself to a higher standard."
So, what do you think? Do Goyer's comments above suggest backpedaling, or a true master plan? Or, is this a master plan reshaped by a certain amount of backlash? Or none of the above?
MAN OF STEEL arrives on Blu-ray and DVD November 12 and is up for pre-order HERE.
- Google +
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 263 total posts 107 posts
- DOCTOR WHO 8.2!! ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Episode And Says He’s Not Sure He Enjoys ‘What The Show Is Becoming’!! -- 70 total posts 29 posts
- The Fellows Behind The Big-Screen JUMP STREET (And THE LEGO MOVIE And CLONE HIGH) Plan To Reboot Another Steven J. Cannell Series: THE GREATEST AMERICAN HERO!! -- 47 total posts 10 posts
- Capone says AS ABOVE/SO BELOW uses a chilling location to terrifying effect!!! -- 35 total posts 9 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 94 total posts 8 posts
- Amazon To Bring Back Patrick Warburton As Ben Edlund’s TICK?? -- 8 total posts 8 posts
- Will there be a change of roster in Avengers: Age of Ultron and if so, who's gonna be on it? -- 276 total posts 6 posts
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of Fox's Batman-Free GOTHAM, Woody’s MAGIC IN THE MOONLIGHT, The Final Season Of BOARDWALK EMPIRE, And The Latest MARVEL, DC, STAR WARS & STAR TREK News!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 4 total posts 4 posts
- Just How Conjoined Is Sarah Paulson In AHS FREAK SHOW?? See For Yourself!! -- 72 total posts 4 posts
- Is this what Doctor Doom looks like in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 285 total posts 3 posts