Timur Bekmambetov Takes the Reins on BEN-HUR!
Hey guys! Horrorella here...
Biblical epics are poised to become all the rage over the next couple of years. We have Aronofsky's NOAH, Ridley Scott's EXODUS, a new telling of the Jesus story based on Anne Rice's Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt, and now, a new adaptation of Ben-Hur.
Rumors have been circulating, but today, Deadline reportedly confirmed that MGM has selected Timur Bekmambetov (NIGHT WATCH, WANTED, ABRAHAM LINCOLN: VAMPIRE HUNTER) to take the film into production. The script is being written by Keith Clarke (THE WAY BACK).
The story was first made wildly popular when Lew Wallace first published his novel Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ in 1880. It sold a gazillion copies and was later adapted for the screen in William Wyler's 1956 classic BEN-HUR, starring Charlton Heston.
No word on when the film is scheduled to start production, but I imagine they will try to get filming underway soon.
What do you guys think? What will a Timur Bekmambetov BEN-HUR look like? And can anyone fill Heston's shoes?
Follow me on Twitter
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 53 total posts 21 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 360 total posts 20 posts
- Check Out This Trailer for British Sci-Fi Film THE ANOMALY! -- 12 total posts 12 posts
- New Images from Richard Linklater's BOYHOOD! -- 14 total posts 8 posts
- Nordling Reviews TRANSCENDENCE! -- 154 total posts 6 posts
- SINISTER 2 Has Found its Director! -- 27 total posts 6 posts
- The first trailer for Clint Eastwood's JERSEY BOYS is here! -- 82 total posts 6 posts
- 3rd Official X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST trailer hits - and it is a big one!!! -- 518 total posts 3 posts
- Robin Williams May Return As Mrs. Doubtfire! -- 215 total posts 3 posts
- Denzel Washington Walks In The Middle Of The Street In THE EQUALIZER Teaser Poster! -- 96 total posts 3 posts