Director Marc Forster Discusses The Huge And Abortive WORLD WAR Z Ending We May Never See!!
WORLD WAR Z arrives on Blu-ray/DVD this week. It features an extended cut whose announcement had many people hoping that the film’s legendary “original ending” (outlined HERE) might be intact. Said ending would’ve brought the “World War” to a film whose nature never really lived up to the title’s promise (save for its all too brief, closing montage) - an ending which was scrapped and replaced by re-shot material seen in the theatrical release.
This ending...is not on the home video release, leaving fans to wonder if we’d ever see the dramatically expanded, far vaster version which was excised. That answer, according to WWZ director Marc Forster, is most likely...”no.”
“I don’t think you’ll ever see the Russia sequence, because we never really finished it; we never spent the money to do the visual effects. Once we shot it and we did a rough cut, everyone agreed that this is too big and too exhausting, it would be better to go a simpler route. So to finish the sequence aside from fine tuning it you would have to do massive amounts of CG work, which would be in the millions of dollars, so I don’t think anyone would want to spend the money on that. It’s a fantastic sequence, like the Israel one, but it’s just too much. It was too big and not the right ending."
...says Forster in THIS interview with Foster over at movies.com.
I rather like Marc Forster movies and enjoyed WWZ...more often than not. However, his comment brings us full circle. There was very littleactual “World War” scale in a film entitled WORLD WAR Z - so I’m not exactly sure how the scrapped ending could be ‘too big’? If anything, the smallness of the film’s finale (as released) seemed dissonant with the scale of the picture we’d seen to that point.
So, I find this frustrating. What are your thoughts?
- Google +
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS, OUT OF THE FURNACE, FROZEN, NEBRASKA And The Latest WALKING DEAD And RETURNED, The First Big-Screen Wonder Woman and More!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 10pm PT / Sunday 1am ET!! -- 491 total posts 344 posts
- Disney can now make new Indiana Jones Movies!!! But what about Paramount? -- 454 total posts 85 posts
- The Annual Official Fake BUTT-NUMB-A-THON 15 List!!! Plus other things like STANDBY news! -- 176 total posts 62 posts
- Big SPOILERS for X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST and APOCALYPSE as new rumors suggest a familiar face will be playing the role of APOCALYPSE!! -- 405 total posts 54 posts
- Jerry Bruckheimer has returned to Paramount and Brett Ratner's BEVERLY HILLS COP IV is now on the way (again)! -- 203 total posts 27 posts
- Penultimate HOMELAND!! New BURGERS, SIMPSONS, GUY, DAD, MENTALIST, ONCE, REVENGE, BETRAYAL, TREME & SEX!! Mandela On 60 MINUTES!! AMAZING RACE Finale!! Last MENTALIST Of 2013!! BONNIE & CLYDE Premiere!! Herc's Sunday TV Talkback!! -- 19 total posts 19 posts
- The Friday Docback Rounds Up This Week's DOCTOR WHO News!! 50th Celebration, 'Time of the Doctor,' HornOrSilk Reviews 'The Assassination Games' Big Finish Audio, And More!! -- 63 total posts 16 posts
- SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES Writers Developing New TERMINATOR TV Series!! -- 93 total posts 15 posts
- Fox To Dabble In Shared X-MEN / FF Movieverse!?!? -- 211 total posts 13 posts
- Two More NYMPHOMANIAC Posters... -- 87 total posts 6 posts