Ron Howard offers up a Dark Tower update and we say thankee-sai!
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. By now you should know I'm a Dark Tower super nut. I discovered the series in junior high and have been addicted ever since.
A film version could be incredible, but I'm tough on anybody trying to tackle this massive and admittedly convoluted series because there are a million ways to fuck it up and only a few ways to make it work. Akiva Goldsman isn't my favorite name involved with this latest attempt to develop Stephen King's epic world(s). I don't have anything against Ron Howard, but he wouldn't be my first choice either.
However every time Howard talk about Dark Tower it's clear he's taking this very seriously and very much respects the source material. Case in point, Howard recently spoke with Empire about his upcoming Rush (which I hear is great) and they got him to give an update on Dark Tower.
Essentially he says the movie's not dead, it's just complicated.
"It’s a fascinating, powerful possibility and even Stephen King acknowledges it’s a tricky adaptation, but to be honest, from a financing side, it’s not a straightforward, four-quadrant, sunny superhero story – it’s dark, it’s horror. That edge is what appeals to me, the complexities of those characters is what appeals to all of us. And I think Stephen King really respects that, with [regular screenwriting collaborator] Akiva Goldsman and myself, that that’s what we love about it, and that’s what we want to try to get to the screen. So my answer is: it got delayed, it’s never gone away. We’re working on it, and Stephen is very patient with us.”
If they start out Roland with the Horn of Eld then they're on the right track to cracking this adaptation. Dark Tower super nerds know what I'm talking about.
Anyway, while this isn't my personal dream team, if they can make this happen and do it well I'll gladly shut the hell up.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 198 total posts 173 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 158 total posts 114 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 194 total posts 51 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 558 total posts 35 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 180 total posts 23 posts
- Two Images From Michael Fassbender’s MACBETH Movie!! -- 111 total posts 21 posts
- Check Out Thomas Haden Church in this Trailer for WHITEWASH! -- 66 total posts 10 posts
- ‘There Is Only One Hell!!’ Stannis, Davos, Melissandre, Varys, Bran, Hodor, Reek And The Bastard Of Bolton Return For Tonight’s Big Second GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 356 total posts 9 posts
- REAL HISTORY OF SCIENCE FICTION Premiere!! The Return Of ORPHAN BLACK!! Hallmark’s A LESSON IN ROMANCE!! Lifetime’s A DAY LATE AND A DOLLAR SHORT!! Herc’s Saturday TV Talkback!! -- 7 total posts 7 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 191 total posts 7 posts