Roland Emmerich Says The INDEPENDENCE DAY Sequels May Be Only One Sequel (For Now)!!
For a while now, we’ve been understanding that Roland Emmerich’s upcoming INDEPENDENCE DAY sequel might actually be two movies. Now it’s looking like this may not necessarily be the case.
In a discussion with Empire, Emmerich reveals that the current plan is to more or less shoot one movie as a cliffhanger, then see what happens.
According to Emmerich, the plan remains for a cliffhanger to divide the two sequels. Intriguingly, he'll eschew the Peter Jackson approach of shooting both films at once in favour of a costlier suck-it-and-see strategy. "We'll only do the first part," he says, "because we want to have the audience decide if they want to see the second, otherwise it feels arrogant. But I'm pretty confident, with the right script..."
...says Emmerich HERE.
I enjoyed the first film quite a bit, warts and all (yes, imperfection runs amok throughout it) - and am intrigued by the notion of this sequel’s parallel history...i.e. getting to see how we’ve rebuilt Earth after the aliens stuck it to us in the first film (ostensibly a re-built Earth at least partially hinged on cannibalized/back-engineered alien technology).
Alas, a solid setting does not a successful film make. I suspect, at the end of the day, recapturing the “fun” and “heart” of the original (nuttiness and all) may be a significant component in audiences embracing future go-rounds. To be clear, I mean recapturing the essence and vibe - but not repeating itself. A tricky, but attainable, balance.
What do you think?
Hoping David Arnold comes back for this one. He worked with Emmerich & Devlin on STARGATE and INDEPENDENCE DAY and GODZILLA before all headed different directions. 'Twould be lovely to see him back in the fold here...
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Check out this MASSIVE new HOBBIT: BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES banner!! -- 222 total posts 67 posts
- Hold off, Aaron Cross: Matt Damon's back as Jason Bourne! -- 162 total posts 48 posts
- Here come a remake that will really make you feel old - Sony is fast tracking a remake to I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER! -- 113 total posts 29 posts
- SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE Hires 20-Year-Old Cast Member!! -- 58 total posts 27 posts
- 3rd PICKS & PEEKS of Sept 2014: Crichton Blus, THE PARTY, Bloody Entertainment, GODZILLA 3D & More!!! -- 27 total posts 27 posts
- Copernicus is really pissed about the Stephen Hawking biopic THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING that he saw at TIFF -- 131 total posts 21 posts
- Scott Glenn Joins Charlie Cox, Vincent D’Onofrio, Rosario Dawson, Elden Henson and Deborah Ann Woll For Netflix’s DAREDEVIL Series!! -- 63 total posts 20 posts
- Looks like they got the right Mann to play Audrey Griswald in the VACATION update! -- 101 total posts 19 posts
- 2nd Sept 2014 PICKS & PEEKS Column: CAP 2, Pumpkinhead, Toho, Addams, Star Trek, Slashers, Comedy & Action+ -- 1771 total posts 18 posts
- New Poster for V/H/S: VIRAL!!! -- 32 total posts 15 posts