Jerry Bruckheimer news! Paramount wants him to return for BEVERLY HILLS COP IV, plus updates on BAD BOYS III and TOP GUN 2!
Hey Yo, Draven here.
Like many past successful franchises, the BEVERLY HILLS COP one just won’t die. While the recent attempt to bring the franchise to the small screen failed, it convinced Paramount that they might be able to milk some more money with a new big screen sequel. They are apparently very serious about continuing the adventures of Axel Foley, as according to Variety, they are bringing Jerry Bruckheimer back to produce the film.
Bruckheimer and the late Don Simpson produced the first two films in the series and a lot of people seem to forget how big those movies were. The first one was one of the biggest hits of the 80’s, grossing $234 million domestically in 1984 (adjusted for inflation that is about $547 million), and the sequel made $153 million in 1987 (adjusted for inflation that is about $320 milllion). The third film did not have Bruckheimer as producer and only grossed about $42 million in 1994 ($83 million in 2013 dollars) not to mention it was universally reviled by fans and critics alike and killed the franchise for at least two decades.
Taking those numbers into account, it obviously makes a lot of sense to bring back Bruckheimer to oversee the development of a potential BEVERLY HILLS COP IV. The next couple of steps is hiring a decent director (although John Landis is decent and BHC III still sucked) and getting a good script together (easier said than done).
No disrespect meant here, but I am not completely sure Eddie Murphy has it in him anymore to really live up to his performance as Axel Foley in the original (although to be fair I don’t think anybody can pull that kind of performance off today). If he can find just a little motivation to give us a hint of what made the 1984 original so special, this will be a success but that is a big if.
There were some other interesting bits in that Variety article. Specifically, they are reporting that Bruckheimer is “helping to develop the script for BAD BOYS III” and is still attempting to get TOP GUN 2 off the ground. All of this is coming after word that Disney has delayed his PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN 5, for now.
I honestly couldn't care less about a TOP GUN 2, especially now that Tony Scott has passed away, but I will go to the grave defending BAD BOYS II. I don’t know if there is any point to doing a third one and I know there is no way they could top the last one but if they get Bay back I won’t be able to help myself and I will be excited for it.
Obviously though, this summer’s complete failure of THE LONE RANGER has forced Bruckheimer to return to some of his most popular franchises so these projects have a really good shot at finally happening. Stay tuned.
Follow me on Twitter here!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Two New AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON Comic-Con Posters Reveal… -- 302 total posts 302 posts
- UPDATED! Has Marvel's DOCTOR STRANGE Casting Search Gone To Phoenix? -- 194 total posts 194 posts
- SDCC '14: Another snap of Batfleck from BATMAN V SUPERMAN! -- 366 total posts 139 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint talks about the surprisingly good 5-ish minutes of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles shown at the Con! -- 120 total posts 120 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint has seen the new Interstellar trailer! Plus The Rock and Spongebob stuff! -- 120 total posts 120 posts
- Mark Hamill referred to his beard for STAR WARS: EPISODE VII as "contractually-obligated"!! Does that confirm what we've been hearing?? -- 294 total posts 110 posts
- Footage of discarded concept art, interviews with Tim Burton and Kevin Smith, and Nicolas Cage in flight in this trailer for THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN LIVES! -- 88 total posts 88 posts
- FIFTY SHADES OF GREY Trailer Is Like Daaaaayuuuuuuum! -- 320 total posts 74 posts
- "This is a classic alternate reality situation...like FRINGE!" Get wet with the red-band trailer for HOT TUB TIME MACHINE 2! -- 126 total posts 73 posts
- Patrick Wilson drops out of ANT-MAN!! -- 67 total posts 67 posts