PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES the first to bite the bullet and move out of Summer 2015!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
We knew something like this would happen. We had a STAR WARS, an AVENGERS, a JURASSIC PARK, an INDEPENDENCE DAY, a TERMINATOR, and even an ANT-MAN all coming out in Summer 2015. Something had to go, lest we get another crowded season where the blockbusters trample all over each other. So Disney, who owns three of those properties, has decided to shuffle their 4th PIRATES sequel out of its original release date of July 10th, 2015, into an as-yet-unannounced 2016 date.
Considering that there's literally billions of dollars on the line, it makes sense that they'd want to take some more time on this one. The last film killed it internationally, but audiences generally accepted that it was a lesser, creatively-bankrupt sequel, and directors Joachim Roenning and Espen Sandberg have their work cut out for them in winning back the hearts and minds of the disillusioned fans.
Box office-wise, I could see this becoming a non-event after STAR WARS, AVENGERS, and even ID4-2 debut in the weeks and months prior. Would another Jack Sparrow adventure really seem that novel after the returns of THOSE franchises? Whereas this way, Disney can truly position it as one of their central tentpoles for Summer '16 as opposed to yet another $200 million-budgeted extravaganza following up all the other mega-budgeted blockbusters that would have just recently come out.
Personally, I could give a rat's fart if this thing even gets made. I didn't particularly care for the first two PIRATES sequels, let alone the last barely-trying endeavor, and I don't get the feeling this is going to be a FAST FIVE best of the series situation. I'd love to be proved wrong though; if they surround Depp, Rush, and presumably Cruz with a strong enough story and supporting cast, it isn't impossible that we could get a fun swashbuckler on par with the first one. Not rushing it out is a good first step.
PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES will release sometime in 2016, probably in the summer.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- BARBIE. The Movie. -- 148 total posts 18 posts
- There Will Soon Be No More Orci / Kurtzman Movies!?!? + One Of Them Is Pushing To Direct The Third JJVerse STAR TREK Film!! -- 352 total posts 15 posts
- The First Official BTS Shots From JURASSIC WORLD Are Here!! -- 82 total posts 14 posts
- They're going to have to look for another MIDNIGHT RIDER, because after that tragedy, William Hurt ain't stickin' around! -- 42 total posts 13 posts
- UPDATED (21:55): Trailer taken down by IFC! The trailer for BOYHOOD takes us through a decade-plus of the life of young lead actor Ellan Coltrane! -- 20 total posts 12 posts
- Tom Hardy (as twins) and Emily Browning to star in Brian Helgeland's gangster flick, LEGEND! -- 19 total posts 10 posts
- Robert Downey Jr. seems to be tweeting a picture a day from the set of Avengers: Age of Ultron... -- 111 total posts 10 posts
- "Where do you stand on Michael Buble?" "His windpipe?" Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon have more celebrity impressions up their sleeves in THE TRIP TO ITALY trailer! -- 30 total posts 8 posts
- Director Colin Trevorrow Talks The Bigger Picture Of JURASSIC WORLD!! -- 71 total posts 7 posts
- Check Out the Trailer for EJECTA - From PONTYPOOL Scribe Tony Burgess! -- 13 total posts 6 posts