John Leguizamo Confirmed to Play Pablo Escobar in Brad Furman's KING OF COCAINE!
Hey guys! Horrorella here...
It looks like Brad Furman's (THE LINCOLN LAWYER) Pablo Escobar biopic is finally ready to launch. There have been a number of films revolving around the cartel leader in the past few years, but most of them have stalled out. Oliver Stone had a project going at one point, as did Joe Carnahan. Neither one gained traction, and in the meantime, Benicio del Toro has been cast in the role of Escobar in Andrea di Stefano's upcoming PARADISE LOST. This film is set to be more of a romantic thriller with Escobar in more of a supporting role.
Furman's film, KING OF COCAINE, seems to be taking a more biographical approach, and the lead role has finally been locked down. After Oscar Isaac (INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS, DRIVE) left the project, John Leguizamo has come on board to play Escobar - but not without a hefty amount of effort and dedication on the actor's part.
According to Deadline, Leguizamo has wanted to play this role for quite some time, but the suits felt that Isaac had more financial bankibility. After Isaac dropped out, Leguizamo approached producer Scott Steindorff, but was turned down. But rather than simply letting the issue lie, he then took the badass road and spent close to $15,000 of his own money on prosthetics and a fat suit to make his case.
Apparently the transformation was dead-on. He and Furman filmed a screen test and submitted it to Relativity (who have stepped up to distribute the film) without telling them who was under the make-up. The Execs were blown away, and after Leguizamo's identity was revealed, they quickly offered him the part.
So the lead role has been filled, and financing seems to have been secured. It looks like this one might actually be moving forward. Hopefully we will hear additional details as the project gets closer to filming.
Follow me on Twitter
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 453 total posts 172 posts
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of The First Jack Bauer 24 Adventure Since 2010!! Plus GAME OF THRONES, MAD MEN, HANNIBAL, AGENTS OF SHIELD, And More!! And The Return Of FX MOVIE DOWNLOAD Star Sasha Perl-Raver!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 298 total posts 148 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 324 total posts 78 posts
- ‘I Have Something To Say To The People Of Meereen!!’ The Stormborn Returns For Tonight’s Third GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 51 total posts 51 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 251 total posts 31 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 213 total posts 23 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 587 total posts 21 posts
- Papa Vinyard Saw THE HATEFUL EIGHT Script Reading Last Night And Here's His Review! -- 17 total posts 17 posts
- ‘Why Don’t We Just Start Our Own Agency??’ Sunday Brings One Of The 13 Final MAD MENs!! -- 14 total posts 14 posts
- Two Images From Michael Fassbender’s MACBETH Movie!! -- 128 total posts 13 posts