John Leguizamo Confirmed to Play Pablo Escobar in Brad Furman's KING OF COCAINE!
Hey guys! Horrorella here...
It looks like Brad Furman's (THE LINCOLN LAWYER) Pablo Escobar biopic is finally ready to launch. There have been a number of films revolving around the cartel leader in the past few years, but most of them have stalled out. Oliver Stone had a project going at one point, as did Joe Carnahan. Neither one gained traction, and in the meantime, Benicio del Toro has been cast in the role of Escobar in Andrea di Stefano's upcoming PARADISE LOST. This film is set to be more of a romantic thriller with Escobar in more of a supporting role.
Furman's film, KING OF COCAINE, seems to be taking a more biographical approach, and the lead role has finally been locked down. After Oscar Isaac (INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS, DRIVE) left the project, John Leguizamo has come on board to play Escobar - but not without a hefty amount of effort and dedication on the actor's part.
According to Deadline, Leguizamo has wanted to play this role for quite some time, but the suits felt that Isaac had more financial bankibility. After Isaac dropped out, Leguizamo approached producer Scott Steindorff, but was turned down. But rather than simply letting the issue lie, he then took the badass road and spent close to $15,000 of his own money on prosthetics and a fat suit to make his case.
Apparently the transformation was dead-on. He and Furman filmed a screen test and submitted it to Relativity (who have stepped up to distribute the film) without telling them who was under the make-up. The Execs were blown away, and after Leguizamo's identity was revealed, they quickly offered him the part.
So the lead role has been filled, and financing seems to have been secured. It looks like this one might actually be moving forward. Hopefully we will hear additional details as the project gets closer to filming.
Follow me on Twitter
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- A biker gang, Gipsy Danger, and now Charlie Hunnam will command the KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND RABLE as King Arthur! -- 138 total posts 86 posts
- Martin Scorsese May Make A Film About One Of America's Greatest Bands! Gabba Gabba Hey! -- 164 total posts 57 posts
- The first SAW returns to theaters this Halloween! -- 73 total posts 21 posts
- Warner Bros. is moving quickly on getting the Looney Tunes characters and ACME back on the big screen! -- 74 total posts 21 posts
- Two Clips From DOCTOR WHO S08E02: ‘Into the Dalek’!! -- 40 total posts 18 posts
- Superman & Lois Lane get wet together!!! BATMAN VS SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE!!! -- 354 total posts 18 posts
- Character posters for Liam Hemsworth, Natalie Dormer, and more of the resistance from HUNGER GAMES: MOCKINGJAY! -- 66 total posts 13 posts
- Capone examines how THE NOVEMBER MAN takes the weakest James Bond and makes him a killer spy!!! -- 249 total posts 12 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 280 total posts 12 posts
- Our first look at the main character from Pixar's INSIDE OUT! -- 65 total posts 12 posts