We have another mysterious teaser for the J.J Abrams-conceived novel, S.!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
Last month, we got a teaser for a J.J. Abrams project of indeterminate nature. It obviously wasn't STAR WARS, or a sequel to CLOVERFIELD or SUPER 8, so what the hell was it? Maybe a new TV show? Well, the full trailer reveals that this has been an elaborate ad for a book called S. that J.J. Abrams "conceived" and was written by Doug Dorst. According to EW.com, who premiered the trailer, the book is about a correspondence between two college students, an undergrad girl and a male grad student, that centers around a 1949 novel that they use to pass notes and letters off to one another. The book will also contain the "novel within the novel", and many of the handwritten notes themselves.
Sounds interesting, but what does that have to do with the teaser? My guess is that it's all about creating the atmosphere of the old novel that plays such a crucial role in the plot. I don't know what the hell drives this guy to sew his mouth shut, but I have to admit, the "mystery box" bullshit worked on me this time; I'm pretty interested in finding that out for myself.
We should hear more word on the quality of the actual book in the next few weeks. I'm usually skeptical about using video to advertise printed material, but in this case, and considering the potency of the J.J. Abrams brand, I think it was a strong move.
S will be published on October 29th.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of The First Jack Bauer 24 Adventure Since 2010!! Plus GAME OF THRONES, MAD MEN, HANNIBAL, AGENTS OF SHIELD, And More!! And The Return Of FX MOVIE DOWNLOAD Star Sasha Perl-Raver!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 296 total posts 146 posts
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 300 total posts 19 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 575 total posts 9 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 225 total posts 5 posts
- MTV Movie Awards drops an opening scene from X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST! And it rocks! -- 317 total posts 4 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 194 total posts 4 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 249 total posts 3 posts
- This Week's Saturday Shorts: Parkour, Compliments, and Getting Pooped on! -- 2 total posts 2 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 195 total posts 2 posts
- Stallone Talks EXPENDABLES Casting Approach!! Nicholson!?!? -- 288 total posts 2 posts