Paul Giamatti and Paul Rudd team up to flip some Christmas trees in this trailer for ALL IS BRIGHT!
Papa Vinyard here, and I got somethin' for ya...
Earlier today, Yahoo premiered their trailer for JUNEBUG director Phil Morrison's latest work, ALL IS BRIGHT. The film stars Paul Giamatti as a Canadian ex-con who comes home to realize his money, his prospects, and his family have all evaporated, and Paul Rudd as his brother, who convinces him to trek down to NYC to sell Christmas trees during the holidays. The two spend most of the film bickering and belittling each other in and around their trailer, which is parked in the middle of Brooklyn.
I actually saw this film back in Tribeca, back when it was called ALMOST CHRISTMAS (review here), and I really adored it. It is significantly more melancholic and dark than the trailer suggests; this is way more like Rudd's PRINCE AVALANCHE than BAD SANTA. You get a taste of the two central performances, and barely a glance at Sally Hawkins' hilarious local, but all three are way more human and fully realized in the actual film. Giamatti is in that perfect SIDEWAYS sweet spot between dignified human tragedy and pathetic behavioral comedy, while Rudd is even more of the dorky straight guy than he was in AVALANCHE. The odd relationship between Giamatti and Hawkins' characters is subdued, lovely, and refreshingly schmaltz-free. If the trailer rubs you the wrong way, do not write this one off just yet; even the early scenes which are shown here are much funnier and more natural in the movie.
For fans of the two lead actors (or Sally Hawkins), I'd say this is a must-see, but the trailer doesn't scream that, even if it highlights a few of the films guffaw-worthy moments.
ALL IS BRIGHT shines on VOD on September 10th, and in theaters on October 4th.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- First Trailer for EDGE OF TOMORROW, Starring Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt! -- 394 total posts 138 posts
- BBCA Brings Forth New Images From 'The Time of the Doctor' - Matt Smith's Final Episode Of DOCTOR WHO!! -- 122 total posts 122 posts
- Peter Jackson Says Hobbitses Stalled His TINTIN Sequel - But... -- 106 total posts 106 posts
- First Images from Wally Pfister's TRANSCENDENCE! -- 90 total posts 90 posts
- Here's A Motion Comic Set Up For I, FRANKENSTEIN!! -- 76 total posts 76 posts
- Is Jason Clarke Our New John Connor? -- 265 total posts 72 posts
- Butters-centric SOUTH PARK Season Finale!! Final Wednesday SURVIVOR!! The Final CSI, MINDS, ARROW & TOMORROW PEOPLE Of 2013!! New MOB, MODERN, MIDDLE, NASHVILLE, SING OFF, BURNING LOVE, GIRL CODE, AHS, X, SOUP, PICKERS!! Whitford On KIMMEL!! Cumberbatch & Takei On CONAN!! Herc’s Wednesday TV Talkback!! -- 88 total posts 58 posts
- I'd watch Simon Pegg and Monty Python in ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING! -- 101 total posts 55 posts
- Samuel L. Jackson in Talks for David Yates' TARZAN! -- 149 total posts 54 posts
- THE PURGE 2 to be headed up by Frank Grillo! -- 71 total posts 43 posts