Dane DeHaan and Robert Pattinson to play James Dean and Dennis Stock in LIFE!
Papa Vinyard here, and I got somethin' for ya...
As Twitter has already noted, Dane DeHaan really seems to love following James Franco's footsteps. ScreenDaily.com has picked up the news that DeHaan and Robert Pattinson are joining Anton Corbijn's LIFE as James Dean and photographer Dennis Stock, respectively. The film is based on the real-life relationship that developed between Dean and Stock when the latter did a piece on the former for, you guessed it, LIFE magazine. Dean wasn't yet famous when Stock photographed him, and those pictures became a time capsule for the pre-EAST OF EDEN era, when Dean was just another upstart Hollywood hunk looking to break through.
In regards to Franco, this marks the second time DeHaan is inhabiting a character previously played by the actor, following Dane's upcoming turn as Harry Osborn in THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2. In case you've forgotten, Franco got his post-FREAKS AND GEEKS dramatic career boosted by playing Dean in a TV biopic. I mean, I'm sure it's a coincidence, but if DeHaan wants to follow the blueprints of another eccentric actor's career, Franco's is not a bad one to crib. He's found a way to balance his mainstream, studio stuff with more artsy, personal fare, while even finding the time to establish himself as a creative entity beyond movies. DeHaan's particular talents will be difficult to shoehorn into Hollywood productions; note his forgettable appearance in last year's LINCOLN. More than anything, playing the enigmatic, troubled figure should be a great showcase for his talent at portraying angst and confused ambition.
As for our favorite sparkly vampire playing Stock, I'm pretty ambivalent. I'm still not wholly onboard the Pattinson train, but I don't think the dude's devoid of talent, and I have an inkling that one of these days, he's going to impress me with one of his post-TWILIGHT performances. Hopefully it'll be this one.
I'm a big fan of Corbijn's THE AMERICAN, and A MOST WANTED MAN looks pretty damn cool, so I'm hoping for the best on this one.
What do you think of this casting news? Does DeHaan have the chops (and the looks) to pull off a solid James Dean?
LIFE is aiming to shoot early next year, so I'd expect this film to come out during Oscar season 2014, at the earliest.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Superman gets a new costume for BATMAN V SUPERMAN! -- 234 total posts 101 posts
- Check Out this Awesome Trailer for AUTOMATA - Antonio Banderas and Robots! -- 104 total posts 97 posts
- Check out a description for the first trailer for Quentin Tarantino's THE HATEFUL EIGHT! -- 100 total posts 56 posts
- Evangeline Lilly Instagrams Her ANT-MAN Look!! -- 55 total posts 55 posts
- A Provocative New Trailer For THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN LIVES!! Nic Cage, Tim Burton, Kevin Smith… -- 401 total posts 50 posts
- August Picks & Peeks 2014 Catch Up: DePalma, Jarmusch, Corman, Cuaron, Arau, Cosmotos, Brass, Huston + more! -- 284 total posts 46 posts
- Don't count Andy Serkis' JUNGLE BOOK out just yet! He's scored Batman, Galadriel, Moneypenny, and Smaug for his cast! -- 102 total posts 24 posts
- Behold The Probably Offensive But Kinda Cool DEAD SNOW 2 Poster!! -- 16 total posts 16 posts
- Showtime Renews MASTERS OF SEX And RAY DONOVAN For Third Seasons!! -- 14 total posts 14 posts
- T-MINUS 3 DAYS(ish) And It’s A Wednesday MiniDocback!! New ‘DOCTOR WHO EXTRA’ BTS Show Announced, Germany To Initially Transmit ‘Deep Breath’ Undubbed, And HornOrSilk Reviews ‘The Abandoned’ Big Finish Audio!! -- 35 total posts 10 posts