Dane DeHaan and Robert Pattinson to play James Dean and Dennis Stock in LIFE!
Papa Vinyard here, and I got somethin' for ya...
As Twitter has already noted, Dane DeHaan really seems to love following James Franco's footsteps. ScreenDaily.com has picked up the news that DeHaan and Robert Pattinson are joining Anton Corbijn's LIFE as James Dean and photographer Dennis Stock, respectively. The film is based on the real-life relationship that developed between Dean and Stock when the latter did a piece on the former for, you guessed it, LIFE magazine. Dean wasn't yet famous when Stock photographed him, and those pictures became a time capsule for the pre-EAST OF EDEN era, when Dean was just another upstart Hollywood hunk looking to break through.
In regards to Franco, this marks the second time DeHaan is inhabiting a character previously played by the actor, following Dane's upcoming turn as Harry Osborn in THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2. In case you've forgotten, Franco got his post-FREAKS AND GEEKS dramatic career boosted by playing Dean in a TV biopic. I mean, I'm sure it's a coincidence, but if DeHaan wants to follow the blueprints of another eccentric actor's career, Franco's is not a bad one to crib. He's found a way to balance his mainstream, studio stuff with more artsy, personal fare, while even finding the time to establish himself as a creative entity beyond movies. DeHaan's particular talents will be difficult to shoehorn into Hollywood productions; note his forgettable appearance in last year's LINCOLN. More than anything, playing the enigmatic, troubled figure should be a great showcase for his talent at portraying angst and confused ambition.
As for our favorite sparkly vampire playing Stock, I'm pretty ambivalent. I'm still not wholly onboard the Pattinson train, but I don't think the dude's devoid of talent, and I have an inkling that one of these days, he's going to impress me with one of his post-TWILIGHT performances. Hopefully it'll be this one.
I'm a big fan of Corbijn's THE AMERICAN, and A MOST WANTED MAN looks pretty damn cool, so I'm hoping for the best on this one.
What do you think of this casting news? Does DeHaan have the chops (and the looks) to pull off a solid James Dean?
LIFE is aiming to shoot early next year, so I'd expect this film to come out during Oscar season 2014, at the earliest.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- First look at footage from Genndy Tartakovsky's POPEYE! -- 229 total posts 128 posts
- Rejoice! DEADPOOL: THE MOVIE comin' to you in February 2016!! -- 232 total posts 95 posts
- The GODZILLA Sequel Has A Writer!! -- 72 total posts 72 posts
- Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR gets pushed back nearly two months, and knocks ASSASSIN'S CREED off the calendar! -- 141 total posts 50 posts
- Quint is surprisingly quite fond of Kevin Smith's TUSK! Fantastic Fest 2014! -- 50 total posts 50 posts
- Guy Ritchie brings a mermaid onto land to play his Guinevere in KNIGHTS OF THE ROUNDTABLE: KING ARTHUR! -- 99 total posts 43 posts
- DOCTOR WHO S08E05 ‘Time Heist’ Reader Reaction Begins Now!! + HornOrSilk’s ‘Domain Of The Voord’ Big Finish Audio Review, Synopses For Upcoming S8 Eps, And More!! -- 37 total posts 37 posts
- Here’s A Video Of STAR WARS EPISODE VII’s Millennium Falcon, Highlighting One Little Detail… -- 446 total posts 35 posts
- Muldoon Happily Gets Lost in THE MAZE RUNNER! -- 62 total posts 34 posts
- The Premiere Of TIM & ERIC’s BEDTIME STORIES!! New GARFUNKEL, HAVEN & LOSER!! HONORABLE, RUSH, WORST, NAKED, MARRIED & SATISFACTION Finales!! The Return Of BREAKING AMISH!! Terry Gilliam On COLBERT!! Carmen Lynch On CRAIG!! Julianna & Viggo On SETH!! Ali Wong @MIDNIGHT!! Herc’s Thursday TV Talkback!! -- 23 total posts 20 posts