Dane DeHaan and Robert Pattinson to play James Dean and Dennis Stock in LIFE!
Papa Vinyard here, and I got somethin' for ya...
As Twitter has already noted, Dane DeHaan really seems to love following James Franco's footsteps. ScreenDaily.com has picked up the news that DeHaan and Robert Pattinson are joining Anton Corbijn's LIFE as James Dean and photographer Dennis Stock, respectively. The film is based on the real-life relationship that developed between Dean and Stock when the latter did a piece on the former for, you guessed it, LIFE magazine. Dean wasn't yet famous when Stock photographed him, and those pictures became a time capsule for the pre-EAST OF EDEN era, when Dean was just another upstart Hollywood hunk looking to break through.
In regards to Franco, this marks the second time DeHaan is inhabiting a character previously played by the actor, following Dane's upcoming turn as Harry Osborn in THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2. In case you've forgotten, Franco got his post-FREAKS AND GEEKS dramatic career boosted by playing Dean in a TV biopic. I mean, I'm sure it's a coincidence, but if DeHaan wants to follow the blueprints of another eccentric actor's career, Franco's is not a bad one to crib. He's found a way to balance his mainstream, studio stuff with more artsy, personal fare, while even finding the time to establish himself as a creative entity beyond movies. DeHaan's particular talents will be difficult to shoehorn into Hollywood productions; note his forgettable appearance in last year's LINCOLN. More than anything, playing the enigmatic, troubled figure should be a great showcase for his talent at portraying angst and confused ambition.
As for our favorite sparkly vampire playing Stock, I'm pretty ambivalent. I'm still not wholly onboard the Pattinson train, but I don't think the dude's devoid of talent, and I have an inkling that one of these days, he's going to impress me with one of his post-TWILIGHT performances. Hopefully it'll be this one.
I'm a big fan of Corbijn's THE AMERICAN, and A MOST WANTED MAN looks pretty damn cool, so I'm hoping for the best on this one.
What do you think of this casting news? Does DeHaan have the chops (and the looks) to pull off a solid James Dean?
LIFE is aiming to shoot early next year, so I'd expect this film to come out during Oscar season 2014, at the earliest.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- The Bat Cowl from BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE is in the hall! -- 229 total posts 229 posts
- There's a new awesome filming location for STAR WARS 7!!! -- 186 total posts 186 posts
- FIFTY SHADES OF GREY Trailer Is Like Daaaaayuuuuuuum! -- 132 total posts 131 posts
- Beginning of a flood of AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON Comic Con Artwork?!?! -- 200 total posts 116 posts
- Marvel Debuts Special ANT-MAN Poster For Comic Con! -- 109 total posts 66 posts
- Behold The Blazing New Poster For THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES!! -- 218 total posts 54 posts
- Sony Says Fuck It, Announces Release Dates For THE SINISTER SIX And THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 3! -- 348 total posts 53 posts
- SDCC '14: Title logo for WARCRAFT! -- 60 total posts 48 posts
- Marvel sets one additional 2018 release date! -- 104 total posts 43 posts
- He's not 007 anymore, but Pierce Brosnan is still kicking ass across Europe in the full trailer for THE NOVEMBER MAN! -- 85 total posts 36 posts