Dwayne Johnson to step into Lee Majors' shoes for contemporary update of THE FALL GUY!
Papa Vinyard here, and I got somethin' for ya...
Remember that show PARKER LEWIS CAN'T LOSE? If I was going to pick a 20+ year-old TV show to update, I'd choose that, only I'd replace the PARKER LEWIS in the title with DWAYNE JOHNSON. The dude had about 20 weeks this year where he had a movie in the top 10 at the box office, he's cemented himself as "the franchise reinvigorator", he's playing goddamn HERCULES in the currently-shooting Brett Ratner movie, and after reprising his role as Hobbs in FAST & FURIOUS 7, he'll be updating Lee Majors' THE FALL GUY, according to The Hollywood Reporter. McG is in talks to direct the adaptation of the 1981-1986 series, which had Majors playing a stunt man who moonlighted as a professional bounty hunter. Apparently, an incarnation of this project with Martin Campbell and Nicolas Cage attached couldn't get off the ground, but this one is currently making the rounds at Toronto looking for financiers.
One thing they'll have to convince people of is whether mainstream American audiences (more specifically, fans of Johnson…Dwayne Johnson, that is) are more interested in a resuscitation of THE FALL GUY in comparison to, shall we say, THE LONE RANGER. Or, they can pretend like the writers just made this shit up themselves, and just put The Rock front and center like they did with the WITCH MOUNTAIN, JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH, and G.I. JOE franchises.
I don't think it's a stretch to see Johnson as a stunt man, a bounty hunter, OR the lead of a McG action movie. Hopefully, the script gives him an opening to inject his trademark charisma into this thing, and make it something that transcends beyond yet another old TV show remake.
Shame that it couldn't be Richard Rush's THE STUNT MAN that The Rock felt like updating, but hey. This sounds good too
Does anyone else think it's really weird that Majors felt the need to introduce his fictional show by singing (himself) "I've been seen with Farrah" (referring to then-wife Farrah Fawcett)?
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- First Trailer for EDGE OF TOMORROW, Starring Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt! -- 394 total posts 138 posts
- BBCA Brings Forth New Images From 'The Time of the Doctor' - Matt Smith's Final Episode Of DOCTOR WHO!! -- 122 total posts 122 posts
- Peter Jackson Says Hobbitses Stalled His TINTIN Sequel - But... -- 106 total posts 106 posts
- First Images from Wally Pfister's TRANSCENDENCE! -- 91 total posts 91 posts
- Here's A Motion Comic Set Up For I, FRANKENSTEIN!! -- 87 total posts 87 posts
- Is Jason Clarke Our New John Connor? -- 267 total posts 74 posts
- Butters-centric SOUTH PARK Season Finale!! Final Wednesday SURVIVOR!! The Final CSI, MINDS, ARROW & TOMORROW PEOPLE Of 2013!! New MOB, MODERN, MIDDLE, NASHVILLE, SING OFF, BURNING LOVE, GIRL CODE, AHS, X, SOUP, PICKERS!! Whitford On KIMMEL!! Cumberbatch & Takei On CONAN!! Herc’s Wednesday TV Talkback!! -- 88 total posts 58 posts
- I'd watch Simon Pegg and Monty Python in ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING! -- 102 total posts 56 posts
- Samuel L. Jackson in Talks for David Yates' TARZAN! -- 149 total posts 54 posts
- THE PURGE 2 to be headed up by Frank Grillo! -- 71 total posts 43 posts