Dwayne Johnson to step into Lee Majors' shoes for contemporary update of THE FALL GUY!
Papa Vinyard here, and I got somethin' for ya...
Remember that show PARKER LEWIS CAN'T LOSE? If I was going to pick a 20+ year-old TV show to update, I'd choose that, only I'd replace the PARKER LEWIS in the title with DWAYNE JOHNSON. The dude had about 20 weeks this year where he had a movie in the top 10 at the box office, he's cemented himself as "the franchise reinvigorator", he's playing goddamn HERCULES in the currently-shooting Brett Ratner movie, and after reprising his role as Hobbs in FAST & FURIOUS 7, he'll be updating Lee Majors' THE FALL GUY, according to The Hollywood Reporter. McG is in talks to direct the adaptation of the 1981-1986 series, which had Majors playing a stunt man who moonlighted as a professional bounty hunter. Apparently, an incarnation of this project with Martin Campbell and Nicolas Cage attached couldn't get off the ground, but this one is currently making the rounds at Toronto looking for financiers.
One thing they'll have to convince people of is whether mainstream American audiences (more specifically, fans of Johnson…Dwayne Johnson, that is) are more interested in a resuscitation of THE FALL GUY in comparison to, shall we say, THE LONE RANGER. Or, they can pretend like the writers just made this shit up themselves, and just put The Rock front and center like they did with the WITCH MOUNTAIN, JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH, and G.I. JOE franchises.
I don't think it's a stretch to see Johnson as a stunt man, a bounty hunter, OR the lead of a McG action movie. Hopefully, the script gives him an opening to inject his trademark charisma into this thing, and make it something that transcends beyond yet another old TV show remake.
Shame that it couldn't be Richard Rush's THE STUNT MAN that The Rock felt like updating, but hey. This sounds good too
Does anyone else think it's really weird that Majors felt the need to introduce his fictional show by singing (himself) "I've been seen with Farrah" (referring to then-wife Farrah Fawcett)?
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- THE HOBBIT: THERE AND BACK AGAIN Is Now Called... -- 173 total posts 173 posts
- There Will Soon Be No More Orci / Kurtzman Movies!?!? + One Of Them Is Pushing To Direct The Third JJVerse STAR TREK Film!! -- 438 total posts 101 posts
- Behold The Greatness Of IMAX's GODZILLA Poster!! -- 83 total posts 83 posts
- Meet Jon M. Chu's JEM AND THE HOLOGRAMS!! -- 45 total posts 45 posts
- BARBIE. The Movie. -- 174 total posts 44 posts
- They're going to have to look for another MIDNIGHT RIDER, because after that tragedy, William Hurt ain't stickin' around! -- 73 total posts 44 posts
- UPDATED (21:55): Trailer taken down by IFC! The trailer for BOYHOOD takes us through a decade-plus of the life of young lead actor Ellan Coltrane! -- 51 total posts 43 posts
- Tom Hardy (as twins) and Emily Browning to star in Brian Helgeland's gangster flick, LEGEND! -- 44 total posts 35 posts
- Check Out the Trailer for EJECTA - From PONTYPOOL Scribe Tony Burgess! -- 38 total posts 31 posts
- Mowgli to have friends like Scarlett Johansson and Lupita Nyong'o in Jon Favreau's JUNGLE BOOK! -- 65 total posts 29 posts