Dwayne Johnson to step into Lee Majors' shoes for contemporary update of THE FALL GUY!
Papa Vinyard here, and I got somethin' for ya...
Remember that show PARKER LEWIS CAN'T LOSE? If I was going to pick a 20+ year-old TV show to update, I'd choose that, only I'd replace the PARKER LEWIS in the title with DWAYNE JOHNSON. The dude had about 20 weeks this year where he had a movie in the top 10 at the box office, he's cemented himself as "the franchise reinvigorator", he's playing goddamn HERCULES in the currently-shooting Brett Ratner movie, and after reprising his role as Hobbs in FAST & FURIOUS 7, he'll be updating Lee Majors' THE FALL GUY, according to The Hollywood Reporter. McG is in talks to direct the adaptation of the 1981-1986 series, which had Majors playing a stunt man who moonlighted as a professional bounty hunter. Apparently, an incarnation of this project with Martin Campbell and Nicolas Cage attached couldn't get off the ground, but this one is currently making the rounds at Toronto looking for financiers.
One thing they'll have to convince people of is whether mainstream American audiences (more specifically, fans of Johnson…Dwayne Johnson, that is) are more interested in a resuscitation of THE FALL GUY in comparison to, shall we say, THE LONE RANGER. Or, they can pretend like the writers just made this shit up themselves, and just put The Rock front and center like they did with the WITCH MOUNTAIN, JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH, and G.I. JOE franchises.
I don't think it's a stretch to see Johnson as a stunt man, a bounty hunter, OR the lead of a McG action movie. Hopefully, the script gives him an opening to inject his trademark charisma into this thing, and make it something that transcends beyond yet another old TV show remake.
Shame that it couldn't be Richard Rush's THE STUNT MAN that The Rock felt like updating, but hey. This sounds good too
Does anyone else think it's really weird that Majors felt the need to introduce his fictional show by singing (himself) "I've been seen with Farrah" (referring to then-wife Farrah Fawcett)?
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- 3rd Official X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST trailer hits - and it is a big one!!! -- 486 total posts 476 posts
- Stallone Talks EXPENDABLES Casting Approach!! Nicholson!?!? -- 238 total posts 238 posts
- Some Wicked Cool Stills For The Upcoming BATMAN: ARKHAM KNIGHT Game!! -- 142 total posts 142 posts
- Who wants to see one of GODZILLA's opponents from the new film!?! (In toy form) -- 128 total posts 128 posts
- Set photos from the set of STAR WARS EPISODE VII in Abu Dhabi?! What's that big round disc they're rolling around?? -- 115 total posts 115 posts
- Re-Revised X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST Casting Re-Adds A Mutant!! -- 110 total posts 110 posts
- ‘A Gift From The Clairvoyant!!’ Patton Oswalt Joins Joss Whedon’s AGENTS OF SHIELD!! Seinfeld On PIONEERS OF TELEVISION!! The Returns Of NEW GIRL, AWKWARD & WIFE SWAP!! The Premiere Of FARGO!! Plus New BOY, STORAGE, SCHUMER, PERSON, TOSH, NCIS, GLEE, FIRE, CONTAINER, MINDY, DUSK, ORIGINALS, SUPERNATURAL & VOICE!! TEEN MOM Finale Special!! DANCE MOMS 100!! HARDCORE PAWN Finale!! Nathan Fillion & Tatiana Maslany on CONAN!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 203 total posts 97 posts
- This nifty teaser for Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO hints at some freaky stuff going on in the Amazon! -- 62 total posts 62 posts
- The Composer For That BATMAN / SUPERMAN Movie Is… -- 283 total posts 61 posts
- Matthew Vaughn to get SUPERIOR to stay in the Mark Millar business for Fox! -- 70 total posts 54 posts