Dwayne Johnson to step into Lee Majors' shoes for contemporary update of THE FALL GUY!
Papa Vinyard here, and I got somethin' for ya...
Remember that show PARKER LEWIS CAN'T LOSE? If I was going to pick a 20+ year-old TV show to update, I'd choose that, only I'd replace the PARKER LEWIS in the title with DWAYNE JOHNSON. The dude had about 20 weeks this year where he had a movie in the top 10 at the box office, he's cemented himself as "the franchise reinvigorator", he's playing goddamn HERCULES in the currently-shooting Brett Ratner movie, and after reprising his role as Hobbs in FAST & FURIOUS 7, he'll be updating Lee Majors' THE FALL GUY, according to The Hollywood Reporter. McG is in talks to direct the adaptation of the 1981-1986 series, which had Majors playing a stunt man who moonlighted as a professional bounty hunter. Apparently, an incarnation of this project with Martin Campbell and Nicolas Cage attached couldn't get off the ground, but this one is currently making the rounds at Toronto looking for financiers.
One thing they'll have to convince people of is whether mainstream American audiences (more specifically, fans of Johnson…Dwayne Johnson, that is) are more interested in a resuscitation of THE FALL GUY in comparison to, shall we say, THE LONE RANGER. Or, they can pretend like the writers just made this shit up themselves, and just put The Rock front and center like they did with the WITCH MOUNTAIN, JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH, and G.I. JOE franchises.
I don't think it's a stretch to see Johnson as a stunt man, a bounty hunter, OR the lead of a McG action movie. Hopefully, the script gives him an opening to inject his trademark charisma into this thing, and make it something that transcends beyond yet another old TV show remake.
Shame that it couldn't be Richard Rush's THE STUNT MAN that The Rock felt like updating, but hey. This sounds good too
Does anyone else think it's really weird that Majors felt the need to introduce his fictional show by singing (himself) "I've been seen with Farrah" (referring to then-wife Farrah Fawcett)?
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Chats Up BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER / ED WOOD Icon (And Hollywood Royalty) Juliet Landau!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 10pm PT / Sunday 1am ET!! -- 356 total posts 329 posts
- Fox Renews For Next Season THE MINDY PROJECT, THE FOLLOWING, BROOKLYN NINE-NINE And NEW GIRL!! -- 59 total posts 5 posts
- Harry shares Day 1 of SXSW which stars Jon Favreau's utterly delicious CHEF!!! -- 134 total posts 5 posts
- Darker ZORRO Reboot Finds its Writer! -- 257 total posts 4 posts
- Learn What Happens Next On HBO’s GAME OF THRONES!! -- 140 total posts 3 posts
- ‘He’s Worse Than Anybody!!’ Sunday Brings HBO’s Season Finale Of TRUE DETECTIVE!! -- 3 total posts 3 posts
- The Friday Docback Is Chilly Towards ‘The Ice Warriors’!! DOCTOR WHO Story #39, HornOrSilk Reviews The ‘Dark Eyes’ 2.1 / 2.2 Big Finish Audio, And More!! -- 28 total posts 2 posts
- Karen Gillan has Night Terrors in this First OCULUS Clip! -- 22 total posts 2 posts
- SXSW 2014: Nordling Reviews NO NO: A DOCKUMENTARY! -- 6 total posts 1 post
- Michael Fassbender makes experimental music from behind a giant papier-mache head in this trailer for FRANK! -- 54 total posts 1 post